You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Did ceratopsian frills evolve for species recognition?

Started by Halichoeres, April 05, 2018, 05:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

If ceratopsian frill diversity evolved partly because the ability to discriminate among species visually favored survival or reproduction, we would expect frill traits to be more labile, particularly in sympatry, than other morphology. This paper finds that they don't show such response to sympatry:

That doesn't mean they couldn't still have been sexually selected, just that there doesn't seem to be an effect of sympatry.

Paper (open access): http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/285/1875/20180312
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Soopairik

Possibly, but the primary use was most likely for defense of the solid-frilled ceratopsians.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.