You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Wait a minute...you're telling me these things look like toys? Darn, I guess I gotta sell them now.  ;)

Jetdin

Quote from: Loon on January 10, 2019, 04:32:02 PM
Wait a minute...you're telling me these things look like toys? Darn, I guess I gotta sell them now.  ;)

haha what i mean is, their proportions are more toy-like compared to the real animals. i guess thats what is required to make a figure have moveable parts.
definitely no less collectable though. my playskool ultrasaurus has moveable parts and is way more toy like than any of the dinos in the mattel line but i still love it

Loon

avatar_Jetdin @Jetdin I get it. That's a big issue for me too, especially on some of the non-movie sculpts. But, they're not meant to copy real animals, but movie characters.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I also don't like the JP toys. That is for two reasons I think (other than that I just don't like most of them anyway). I don't see them as actual dinosaurs, and I don't like toys of animal with those gaps, and also the non-film ones all look really bad to me.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Brocc21

I'm annoyed by very crocodilian design on spinosaurs.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like that companies make obscure dinosaurs little represented or misrepresented in the toy market before classic dinosaurs like tyrannosaurus rex, triceratops, ankylosaurus, allosaurus, stegosaurus, apatosaurus, brachiosaurus, dilophosaurus, styracosaurus, provided they have traces well preserved fossils. There are many species of dinosaurs that deserve a better representation especially in the figures of PVC or vinyl.

Lizerd

Well here is something negative to toy with. Either you go cheap and go with some toxic chinasaur. If you want toys from a movie, well hasbaro and LEGO got ya. While LEGO has good durability and quality hasbaro is down right awful. Worst of hasbaro is their dramatically raised prices, which translates to everything. Bit off topic but nerf guns are an excellent example of this: a nemesis takes AT MOST 15 dollars to make. It is sold for 60-80. The ammo for rival or nerf is probably a penny or less per dart or ball. But for 20-30 dollars you get 100. Back to Dino's. Option three is a detail model. Papo, PNSO, and safari have it covered. While kinda pricey, it's pretty fair and arguably makes the most sense. And then there are the hyper realistic models such as PNSO Wilson or some other model. These (to me personally) whole excellent in quality seem like a joke. For that money you could get some excellent model from a games workshop such as a Carnosaur or bastiladon.

Hey but that is pure pessimism, with none of the cultural and pleasure factors put it, so this should be taken with, not a grain of salt, but a whole bucket of salt.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Shonisaurus

I like Schleich plesiosaurus 2019, not because of its shape but because it has a flexible neck. I have very good memories of my beloved tanystropheus.

Libraraptor

Ravonium

Quote from: Brocc21 on February 05, 2019, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: TheRealSpinoRex on February 05, 2019, 08:26:41 PM
I do not like the Papo Amargosaurus

This is the thread for UNpopular opinions.

That same response could really be made to certain other opinions here (that the initial poster assumed were unpopular, but ended up being surprisingly popular), hence why I've renamed the thread.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Carnegie Carnotaurus is not that good, and the new Safari version is much better, as are the CollectA and even Papo ones.

The Papo Allosaurus is a hideous monster.

Also, adding, since the topic is controversial opinions, I want there to be no more T. rex figures made for the next ten years.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

My favorite carnotaurus is that of Safari 2019 and sincerely I notice it superior to that of Collecta independently that I like the two paleo-cultures, the carnotaurus of Doug is my favorite carnotaurus, both in scientific accuracy and in relation to the figure and the details.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 09, 2019, 04:35:37 PM
The Carnegie Carnotaurus is not that good, and the new Safari version is much better, as are the CollectA and even Papo ones.

The Papo Allosaurus is a hideous monster.

Also, adding, since the topic is controversial opinions, I want there to be no more T. rex figures made for the next ten years.

Yes please!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

pylraster

I wouldn't mind if the Breakout Rex gets a Chinese copy... preferably in plastic form. :p

Shonisaurus

My favorite spinosaurus is Papo's spinosaurus limited version followed by Collecta and Schleich's spinosaurus alike (this is another unpopular opinion I like as much as Collecta's spinosaurus) and honestly the one that thrills me the least is Safari's spinosaurus and I'm sorry for Safari in this case.

I see in my case superior to the spinosaurus of Safari in this order the spinosaurus of Papo and then equally the spinosaurus of Collecta and Schleich and for me the spinosaurus of Safari in this case is superior with difference to that of PNSO and that of Favorite is in the same degree of genius as Safari.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 09, 2019, 04:35:37 PM

Disagree. In this situation, what with the amount of research that's done on T. rex, it's likely that all available figures of it would end up looking outdated as reconstructions of what the animal might actually have looked like. Can definitely understand your opinion, tho.

Also, I'll just throw it out there that the Safari Carcharodontosaurus is stiff and ugly looking (sorry Doug). Bite me!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Jose S.M.

I like the Safari Spinosaurus as much as the new Schleich and the Collecta ones when it comes to sculpt. And neither of these gave me the immediate awe sensation that I wanted, not to say they are bad but all of them have different things that kept me from getting too excited.

Silvanusaurus

Just a few off the top of my head... the new Papo Spinosaurus is a bit of a damp squib for me, I find pretty much any ceratopsian figure to be as enticing a prospective purchase as a packet of Twiglets, and the Schleich Replica-saurus Baryonyx is a masterpiece and a saint. A saint.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: