You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenestra

Heheh. Spino's secret floating aid.
Tabacco leaves.

pylraster

I think some of the newest Safari dinosaurs aren't that pretty to look at. The scales are too big. The swimming spino is atrocious.

Cretaceous Crab

While it was great for its time, I don't like the Walking with Dinosaurs miniseries (mainly that one though, I don't mind the other Walking with~ series).

Shonisaurus

I like the fukuiraptor of Collecta 2019 more than the carnotaurus of Collecta 2019, for a simple reason, his painting seems much more realistic to me.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: pylraster on March 31, 2019, 11:16:21 AM
I think some of the newest Safari dinosaurs aren't that pretty to look at. The scales are too big. The swimming spino is atrocious.

I agree, the recent Safaris do not look great. I think the sculpts are generally good, though in some species the scales probably are too big. My main problem with them is the paint application. Compare any recent Safari to a 90s era Carnegie. The Carnegie's look beautiful, fully painted with lots of layers of color. The newer Safaris look like hunks of matte textured plastic that somebody squiggled on with a can of spray paint.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

I like the Edmontonia of the AAA brand more than its counterpart of the Battat brand. The edmontonia of AAA seems to me more beautiful.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 11, 2019, 03:49:38 PM

I agree, the recent Safaris do not look great. I think the sculpts are generally good, ....... My main problem with them is the paint application. .......

That's the point! Have a look at Doug's original sculpts! They're wonderful.
  Casted by Favorite and painted by Kaiyodo they'd be on top of the Dinosaur Toy World.

All the ones I sent to Martin (Garratt) came back as jewels - which is the proof to my theory.
  At the moment my Stegosaurus is in the works ;D .

Nimravus

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 21, 2019, 09:09:27 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 11, 2019, 03:49:38 PM

I agree, the recent Safaris do not look great. I think the sculpts are generally good, ....... My main problem with them is the paint application. .......

That's the point! Have a look at Doug's original sculpts! They're wonderful.
  Casted by Favorite and painted by Kaiyodo they'd be on top of the Dinosaur Toy World.
100% agreed with eveything stated above, Doug's original sculptures are  wonderful, but then I don't know what Safari does but these year's figures don't seem appealing to me!

Jose S.M.

I guess my opinion on this year line up (That was great and on of their best) is unpopular  :P ;D ;D. I really don't see the issue of big scales in Safari figures except for a couple of them. Their ceratopsids are the ones with the more noticiable scales and Doug himself have said that he uses skin impressions to make them in the same scale of the figure when it's possible.

Maybe it's unpopular or maybe not but paintjobs are rarely a deal breaker for me, poses on the other hand can make me dislike a beautifully colored figure. I've been debating over Papo Acro and Cerato because of their poses and the Cryo was a pass for the same reason.

And one that I'm sure it's unpopular is that I don't like PNSO Spinosaurus that much. I don't know why exactly. It's sad for me that everyone came up with their Spinos and none of them convinced me. And I'm not really that picky or that big of a Spino fan! I don't know what happened to me with this spinos.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on May 21, 2019, 08:47:14 PM

Luckily, sauropods didn't have binocular vision, so the brontosaurus is looking out to the sides, not in the direction it's nose is pointing. Put it sideways to the Stegosaurus and you're good to go? ☺️
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

Sincerely Safari 2019 spinosaurus does not convince me I like the "retro" version of Carnegie by far.

ceratopsian

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian I would love to see the result on Martin's take on the Stegosaurus in due course. I have been thinking of doing the same thing!

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 22, 2019, 09:40:14 AM
I would love to see the result on Martin's take on the Stegosaurus in due course.

Me too! Me too! A thrill of anticipation is the greatest pleasure :) .

Ah! And since this is the "Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys" thread I should signify a controversial opinion here.
  Jurassic Park sucks!!  ..... totally :-X .

PumperKrickel

deleted

MLMjp

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 22, 2019, 09:37:24 PM
Ah! And since this is the "Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys" thread I should signify a controversial opinion here.
You know you just signed your dead sentence, right?
As a rational human being I am going to respect your opinion and I´m not going to participate in your persecution but I have to ask, even the first movie?

I mean, lets be honest, without the first movie the public would probably won't be interested in dinosaurs and we probably would not have a lot of the things this wonderfull hobby has give us, they would probably be less toys, less statues and collectibles, less art, less books, less content. Paleontology will still be a thing, but I feel dinosaurs will not have the mass appeal they have today, and less demand means less offer.

Gwangi

Quote from: MLMjp on May 22, 2019, 11:58:31 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 22, 2019, 09:37:24 PM
You know you just signed your dead sentence, right?
As a rational human being I am going to respect your opinion and I´m not going to participate in your persecution but I have to ask, even the first movie?

I mean, lets be honest, without the first movie the public would probably won't be interested in dinosaurs and we probably would not have a lot of the things this wonderfull hobby has give us, they would probably be less toys, less statues and collectibles, less art, less books, less content. Paleontology will still be a thing, but I feel dinosaurs will not have the mass appeal they have today, and less demand means less offer.

Not to mention, less paleontologists. How many up and coming paleontologists got their spark of inspiration from watching Jurassic Park. Museums too have prospered from the dino-mania generated by Jurassic Park. Professionals and armchair amateurs may get fed up with the inaccuracies of Jurassic Park but I really think the interest it generated in dinosaurs far outweighs any of the cons.

Takama

I now have a new One that will surely be controversial

Papo now Sucks

The paint schems on recent issues of there older models look Downright Atrocious!!!!

This is bad, for not only new Collectors who want to give the brand a chance, but also for Returning collectors LIKE ME who has re buy the products only to see that there not the qulity they used to be yearrs ago.

To top it all off, the Limited Edition ****** really sealed the deal for me, to no longer support the company.   

Neosodon

I've never been a huge fan of papo but at least they put effort in and finish their products well. That thing looks like it was dug out of some kid's back yard sand box!

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Brocc21

Papo has been mediocre for along time now. They really were improving until a few years ago, then they just got stuck in a weird state. Yes they details still look good and they're have definitely been a few really really great figures in the last few years (Tupuxuara, Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, juvi Spinosaurus) And a few good ones (Cryolophosaurus looks good with the Dilo, Feathered Velociraptor) Most are a bit mediocre. I think the reason they were so big a while ago was because of the very good looking detailed sculpts, often just took from a certain movie series, and affordability. Now they are still pretty affordable but they aren't the only company with very well sculpted figures any more. CollectA, Safari, And even Schleich are pumping out some really nice stuff now. But this year looked promising I think.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: