You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eatmycar

Also, frankly, Universal's 'blessing' doesn't really mean much on ensuring that designs are film accurate. I'm not sure who here has seen Beyond the Gates last year when they unveiled the Dreadnoughtus - the toy designer featured explained that they weren't sure they were going to produce the figure and that they had to make up their own paint scheme... until Universal sent the film model at the 11th hour so they could make sure the figure had the proper colors.

The Therizinosaurus has the concept art color scheme, the Giganotosaurus looks like an early CG draft - not the final animal we see in the movie as well. Moros Intrepidus is a hot mess too. Universal is not reliable for getting stuff to toy makers and other entities involved.

I will say, though, I do appreciate that most Mattel figures can stand and do it quite well (there are exceptions of course. The Allosaurus figures up until 2022's are usually pretty shit at standing), so I'll, unfortunately, settle for bigger feet if it means the things can bloody stand. I do wish Mattel would opt for more paleo accurate designs for non-film animals or lean harder on Frontier's designs for the games.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I can give two reasons. For one thing, anything pre- Jurassic World I grew up alongside with, so there's that appeal, nostalgia or whatever. Two I have a fascination with the special effects used in those films (and others), more so the practical effect work Stan Winston Studios did for the original trilogy. I don't think it is any different from someone being interested in much older films takes dinosaurs such as Valley of Gwangi, and so forth.

That said, the only competitor to Mattel I would have liked to see is Neca or another action figure company, as I really do think they would have done a much better job on getting the likeness down, at least as far as the original trilogy animals, as Mattel's current attempt at an older collector oriented line (Hammond Collection) is still plagued with the same issues as the mainline (huge feet, lack of paint apps, adherence from the source material in some instances, etc). Obviously that's not going to happen though. I mean I would be shocked if it did.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

I was just thinking out loud so to speak, but I'm always interested in figures based on the original film. I prefer accurate dinosaurs, but the original Jurassic Park is great, and I have lots of nostalgia wrapped up in it. We haven't really gotten any solid, static, film-accurate figurines at a smaller scale than the standard action figure line, other than the Dakin set. Realistically, anyone who gets the Jurassic license would probably focus too much on the new trilogy for my tastes, though.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DragonRider02

Supposedly Bandai is considering* Jurassic Park for the S.H.Monsterarts line. If true,that could be a serious competition for Mattel's more collector-oriented products.

*The list of brands was posted on Shma-articulationseries website's social media around month ago. Supposedly people in Japan could vote for which brand they would like to see for SHMA line.

shahinos

JimoAi

shahinos

Quote from: JimoAi on April 04, 2023, 08:07:00 AM
Quote from: shahinos on April 04, 2023, 07:51:08 AMBotM dinosaurs are very ugly.
bro can't be serious

I hate the way the seams are showing between the articulated parts and how a limb seems to stick out from the body when posed in a certain way. They look cheap and feel like glorified Dino Riders replicas sold at exorbitant prices.

Bread

There's quite a few people that don't like BOTM, it's understandable. It's not for everyone as seamlines and articulation can be a distraction to the eye of the beholder.

However, I don't think they feel cheap, nor overpriced, in my opinion at least. I tell you what feels cheap and overpriced, Edeltoys... I've seen many complaints from those who ordered them at exceptionally large pricepoints. Seen reports of broken parts come in before the model was even opened up, etc.

Shane

While I think BOTM figures are obviously well researched and very detailed and accurate, I do think the articulation can sometimes be a hindrance. It's tougher to articulate a dinosaur shape than a humanoid shape, and a lot of times the joints tend to stick out at odd angles or look awkward in certain poses. Their raptors suffered the most from this I feel, though I give them a bit of a pass as it was their first attempt.

suspsy

Not liking how the joints look is understandable, but to say that the BotM figures look cheap is simply preposterous.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pliosaurking

I can understand not liking the articulation or even some of the colour schemes, but they sure don't look cheap.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on April 04, 2023, 01:35:39 PMNot liking how the joints look is understandable, but to say that the BotM figures look cheap is simply preposterous.
Its cope
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

The only BotM figures I have is the three 1:18 dromaeosaurids and I'm very impressed by them.  I don't notice their seams at all.  If someone is thinking of getting BotM figures I can recommend those dromaeosaurids.

While on the topic of BotM, my unpopular opinion is I think the smaller figures are better than the larger ones.  The smaller ones are easier to pose and move around (and have less articulation which means less seams).  In contrast to at the opposite end, the 1:18 Tyrannosaurus adult, which in video reviews the reviewer says he struggles to pose and use them.

Eatmycar

I love my 1/18 BoTM dinosaurs.

But if I didn't collect Jurassic alongside them, I'd be begging him to do 1/35th scale because they're just so damn big. I've missed all of the Wave 1 of the Tyrannosaurs mostly due to space (but the T. rex's hoodie absolutely disappoints me and I'm not sold on it yet for the reasons Sim listed above) and the issues so far.

They seem much, much better built than the 1/6th scale raptors, don't get me wrong, but the ceratopsians were so well built that the Tyrannosaur line seems like a step back in some ways...

Cpt Red 3eard

In regards to the rex 'hood' neck piece: it bothered me when I first saw it. With both 1/35 and 1/18 in hand, I don't mind it at all.

shahinos

Don't know anything about Edeltoys.

I still feel they look cheap, however preposterous you may thin it is. Like hard plastic that sounds hollow when you tap them. I have no idea what they look or feel like in real life. But they are ugly and look cheap in my opinion. I just saw the Cyberzoic Stego in another thread, wow, wouldn't want to have that in my collection even if I were paid to do so.

Faelrin

I'm fully convinced they are just trolling at this point. And you know what they say, don't feed the trolls.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

shahinos

Quote from: Faelrin on April 04, 2023, 08:35:20 PMI'm fully convinced they are just trolling at this point. And you know what they say, don't feed the trolls.

Me? Yeah, no troll, 100% serious.

Apparently this opinion of mine fits perfectly in this specific thread...

Lynx

I mean... it is the controversial opinions thread.
An oversized house cat.

shahinos

And for the record, I feel that Mattel's articulated action figures are also ugly. But that's not as controversial as not liking BotM. I just dislike articulated action dinosaurs. Brand me a troll if that makes you happy.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: