You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 20, 2019, 03:44:21 PM
I think if the Tyrannosauroid Kickstarter does a lot better than ceratopsians, we're likely to see another theropod group next. Maybe allosaurids (not enough options among spinosaurids). Or if he wanted to go more obscure, oviraptorosaurs or troodontids.

Yeah, I agree that's the most likely group to be made next if the tyrannosaurid/oid campaign is more successful than the ceratopsian one (although allosaurids alone are much too small of a family for a line*; I think an allosauroid or carnosaur series is more likely).

*unless Silva decides to make every single species of Allosaurus.

Mellow Stego

Not to be a downer, but hopefully he doesn't hide the Trex behind a stretch goal that's a bit out of reach.   
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

suspsy

Quote from: Mellow Stego on October 20, 2019, 04:41:12 PM
Not to be a downer, but hopefully he doesn't hide the Trex behind a stretch goal that's a bit out of reach.

My earnest hope is that David will just put the Tyrannosaurus rex front and centre in the first wave. Even if it was listed at $150 US, I think it would get fully funded in a very short time.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ravonium on October 20, 2019, 04:25:01 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 20, 2019, 03:44:21 PM
I think if the Tyrannosauroid Kickstarter does a lot better than ceratopsians, we're likely to see another theropod group next. Maybe allosaurids (not enough options among spinosaurids). Or if he wanted to go more obscure, oviraptorosaurs or troodontids.

Yeah, I agree that's the most likely group to be made next if the tyrannosaurid/oid campaign is more successful than the ceratopsian one (although allosaurids alone are much too small of a family for a line*; I think an allosauroid or carnosaur series is more likely).

*unless Silva decides to make every single species of Allosaurus.

Yeah, I meant to say allosauroids not allosaurids - you have a good variety and lots of different size options.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Spinosaurids would work if they were lumped in with megalosauroids as a whole.

terrorchicken

wasn't he going to take a break from dinosaurs and do dragons at some point? Id be very interested in a line like that!

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 20, 2019, 06:06:53 PM
wasn't he going to take a break from dinosaurs and do dragons at some point? Id be very interested in a line like that!

^I'm pretty sure he said something of the sort for after the Tyrannosaur series.

Also, I pity the wallets of those who're attempting to buy them all! That's over $1000.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on October 20, 2019, 05:49:49 PM

Would they? I feel like the overall body shape can be fairly different, even the cross section of the torso. I wonder if it would be easier to just do generic "carnosaurs" where you could include Ceratosaurus, a few megalosauroids, and a few allosauroids. The base parts (torso, tail, legs) wouldn't be that different. Just swap the arms and heads.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 20, 2019, 08:00:02 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 20, 2019, 05:49:49 PM

Would they? I feel like the overall body shape can be fairly different, even the cross section of the torso. I wonder if it would be easier to just do generic "carnosaurs" where you could include Ceratosaurus, a few megalosauroids, and a few allosauroids. The base parts (torso, tail, legs) wouldn't be that different. Just swap the arms and heads.

A carnosaurs series would also work great. A "Hall of Fame" consisting of Spinosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Torvosaurus, Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus, Concavenator, Baryonyx, Suchomimus, Megalosaurus, and Neovenator.

terrorchicken

^yeah I like this idea, Id like to see some abelisaur representation!

so the latest update FAQs David mentions this:

Can we use Paypal for adding to our pledge in BackerKit?

PayPal is a planned payment option for the BackerKit surveys, yes.

does this mean I can switch my pledge  from the zuniceratops to a larger figure and pay the remainder with PayPal? Since the visa gift card I used didn't have enough funds to cover the shipping I had to settle for the zuni but if PayPal is allowed for the backerkit then that might allow me to pledge a larger figure! ;D

LeapingLaelaps

Honestly I just hope David does a Hadrosaur series. They're one of my favorite dinosaur groups and I think they would work well for part sharing.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on October 21, 2019, 12:38:29 AM
Honestly I just hope David does a Hadrosaur series. They're one of my favorite dinosaur groups and I think they would work well for part sharing.

Fully on board with Hadrosaurs after the Tyrannosaur Kickstarter is done, but one does have to wonder how many of these he has planned. I'm sure he'll get burnt out eventually, after the last of the Ceratopsians ship he'll have been doing BOTM sculpts for half a decade.

suspsy

Well, it is both his livelihood and passion. Don't forget all those years he spent working for McFarlane Toys. I imagine he plans to continue for as long as his body holds out and it keeps putting food on his table and his lights on.

Shonisaurus

What I don't think makes BoTM David Silva a series of sauropods. They would be too large and expensive and would have little success for those reasons. But a series of sauropods would also be interesting. At least medium sized sauropods and prosauropods.

Cretaceous Crab

I think part of what makes the production easier / cheaper / efficient is that with most of the figures, the body sculpt and legs are the same. For example, even with the raptors, the bodies are all nearly identical; the tails, the heads, some have smaller sickle claws or larger wings on the forearms, etc.

Similarly, most of the ceratopsian body sculpts are the same; its mainly the heads that changed.

So going forward, Mr Silva is probably looking at dino types for which he can use that same plan. Hadrosaurs, and ornithopods would be easy, as would small-medium prosauropods, and abelisaurs, and even perhaps some carnosaurids. Or at least, if I were in his shoes, that's the approach I would take.

Like Shoni said, true sauropods would be vastly expensive at the 1/18 scale level. I mean, the JP Legacy Brachi has been retailing for about $49.99, which is cheaper than the large BOTM horned faces, and the Brachi has limited articulation. I can only imagine the price tag on a 1/18 scale large sauropod would be.

And the thyreophorans (armored dinos like stegos and ankylos) would be too unique to one another, as their plates, osteoderms, spikes, etc are all positioned differently with each genus. Will he ever do them? Maybe. But probably not anytime soon.

DragonRider02

I wonder if he could make series of marine reptiles

suspsy

So as far as the Tyrannosaur Series is concerned, we would certainly be getting:

Tyrannosaurus rex, obviously.
Tarbosaurus
Zhuchengtyrannus
Albertosaurus
Daspletosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Bistahieversor
Lythronax
Teratophoneus
Nanuqsaurus
Alioramus
Qianzhousaurus

Nanotyrannus could arguably double as a juvenile T. rex, similar to what David did with Monoclonius and Centrosaurus. I'm not sure if Dynamoterror should be included, as it's so very fragmentary and no one knows what the head really looked like. As for tyrannosauroids, I don't think it would be necessary to try and do a whole bunch of them, but Yutyrannus would probably be a shoe-in given its popularity among dinophiles.

stargatedalek

Dilong and Guanlong would be good choices too, roughly in scale with the raptors and could share most of their parts (with Dilong also potentially sharing a head and arms with a Tyrannosaur).

Agen Kolar

David said in a recent update he has tentative plans for a second Kickstarter in Spring 2020 for the larger ceratopsians, and if funded they would likely not be pushed back too much from their originally scheduled release dates.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: