News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintingdinos

Excited that Styracosaurus is part of the first wave... its my favorite  ^-^

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 26, 2018, 06:31:31 AM
As someone unfamiliar with kickstarters and how this process works...could someone explain please what it means the psittacosaurus will be an unlockable? I am surprised if that means the figure may not be produced as it is one of the most popular and well known of the more basal members of the family and shares so little with the more derived species that followed it.
Does it mean if enough of the model is ordered it will be made, or is the unlock triggered through purchasing other models.....honestly this is one of perhaps six I would even consider from the set.

Typically an unlockable/stretch goal is achieved when a project is funded a certain amount above the original target. So, as an example, if the needed amount to fund the project is $100,000... a new model may be "unlockable" if the project reaches $120,000 in funding. Basically the more money the campaign makes overall, the more rewards/models will be available.

LeapingLaelaps

Here's some new shots of the Zuniceratops from David's Facebook!

IrritatorRaji

It's coming along nicely! Can't wait to see it painted!

Jose S.M.

It's a nice size for me! Unless Safari makes a Zuniceratops next year, I'm going to get this one.

Halichoeres

Quote from: paintingdinos on June 26, 2018, 06:44:20 AM

As someone unfamiliar with kickstarters and how this process works...could someone explain please what it means the psittacosaurus will be an unlockable? I am surprised if that means the figure may not be produced as it is one of the most popular and well known of the more basal members of the family and shares so little with the more derived species that followed it.
Does it mean if enough of the model is ordered it will be made, or is the unlock triggered through purchasing other models.....honestly this is one of perhaps six I would even consider from the set.

Typically an unlockable/stretch goal is achieved when a project is funded a certain amount above the original target. So, as an example, if the needed amount to fund the project is $100,000... a new model may be "unlockable" if the project reaches $120,000 in funding. Basically the more money the campaign makes overall, the more rewards/models will be available.

And for what it's worth, during the raptor campaign, everything Silva could come up with was unlocked pretty quickly. I expect the same will be true here, although there do seem to be some people mad that the centrosaurine campaign doesn't include their favorite chasmosaurines.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 26, 2018, 05:55:36 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on June 26, 2018, 06:44:20 AM

And for what it's worth, during the raptor campaign, everything Silva could come up with was unlocked pretty quickly. I expect the same will be true here, although there do seem to be some people mad that the centrosaurine campaign doesn't include their favorite chasmosaurines.

Oh yes, I've already seen people complaining that Triceratops isn't in the kickstarter, even though it's not even a centrosaurine :P

Faelrin

That Zuniceratops looks pretty cute. I can't wait to see it painted up, since I do like the color scheme picked out for it.

And here's the first Ceratopsian series package art for the Xenoceratops:

More information on the post here, such as the artist(s?): https://www.facebook.com/BeastSculptKit/photos/a.125819777433236.23596.113487525333128/2271210799560779/?type=3&theater
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Roselaar

Gosh, things are looking increasingly awesome for these gems! :)

Any word on when the Kickstarter campaign for the Ceratopsians opens?

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Roselaar on June 27, 2018, 09:17:57 PM

Spring of 2019

Shonisaurus

Honestly, I like the series of ceratopsids more than the raptors. They look very good, the xenoceratops is awesome. I hope that all the ceratopsids do, I could even reconsider the "war economy" if they make those figures next year and sell them on everythingdinosaur.co.uk

Digibasherx

This is so tough, 52 figures!!!  I have most of the raptors and they're great, and I really want these guys.... My wallet is giving me dirty looks.

Edit: Also looking at the Sandtrooper on the Xeno makes me think I'll need to get a bunch of Dewback saddles or some customs, coz EVERYONE gets a mount!!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Digibasherx on June 27, 2018, 09:32:23 PM
This is so tough, 52 figures!!!  I have most of the raptors and they're great, and I really want these guys.... My wallet is giving me dirty looks.

Edit: Also looking at the Sandtrooper on the Xeno makes me think I'll need to get a bunch of Dewback saddles or some customs, coz EVERYONE gets a mount!!

The raiders of Beast of the Mesozoic are a true wonder. I would buy them in case I stabilize my job and as long as I have enough money, in any case my priorities are the ceratopsids are my weakness within the dinosaurs. I like sauropods a lot but ceraptosides even thrill me as much as those figures and they are rarer inside the toy market, although now they are plentiful. 52 two figures of ceratopsids I could not spend but maybe 10 or 15 figures yes. I would make an effort next year.

But I give you the reason the Beast of the Mesozoic raptors look like animatronic dinosaurs, exhibition dinosaurs for children. They look real.

Roselaar

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on June 27, 2018, 09:22:48 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on June 27, 2018, 09:17:57 PM

Spring of 2019

Phew, time to start saving after the worst of JW FK is over...  ^-^

IrritatorRaji

Jose S.M.

I'm not much of a fan of the colors on the face but I do love the frill pattern.

Shonisaurus

I am not a supporter of avant-garde colors in dinosaurs, but in this case the xenoceratops looks gorgeus.

Very cool figure. "Beast of the Mesozoic" is a brand to take into account, for my part.

Minmiminime

It's so pretty it burns my eyes 😻 I'm holding out on these a bit until I see more, also the potential cost terrifies me, but wow. Beautiful work!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Simon

Quote from: Minmiminime on June 28, 2018, 07:08:27 PM
It's so pretty it burns my eyes 😻 I'm holding out on these a bit until I see more, also the potential cost terrifies me, but wow. Beautiful work!

I'm in the same boat as you are.  :-\  I will probably only be interested in a couple of the most iconic ones (Triceratops, Styracosaurus) ... I don't want to spend a couple of grand $$ on Ceratopsians!!!!

LeapingLaelaps

Okay, I think it's safe to say now that I'm more excited for the ceratopsians than I was for the raptors ;D

Ravonium

While the lack of accessory packs has pretty much removed the interest I had in buying this line, at least I have a thread to follow very closely for the next year or two  ;)

Also, the Xenoceratops has one of the best colour schemes I've seen on any figure. I already thought the CollectA Xenoceratops had a decent colour scheme, but this totally blows it out of the water.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: