News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Melanite's collection

Started by Melanite, June 18, 2018, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanite

I'd like to get into dinosaur collecting more as an adult, but I have to admit, I'm a complete novice. Almost everything I have are relics from my childhood. I love them, but I know that a lot of them aren't the prettiest models out there.

With that in mind, I was hoping I could start by posting some pictures of my old friends, and see if anyone can tell me anything about them? Any insight you could give would be very much appreciated. I do have a few recent purchases, but I'd like to save those for a bit later.

First, some cheap Walmart dinos. The two on the right came in a pack together, and were my very first:

My parents let me pick these out at the annual Fourth of July flea market. The poor blue guy's right arm is still floating around in an old box of Barbies somewhere at my parents' place:

These guys were my sandbox favorites. They all came together in a boxed set:

This little herd came in a tube:

And, finally, these guys followed me home from various museum gift shops:

Thanks for looking! I love browsing through all of the wonderful collections posted on this site, and I'm excited to finally be sharing mine!

Melanite

It does say Safari on the bottom, but I know it didn't come in a tube. I picked it out individually at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, second grade field trip I believe.

Pachyrhinosaurus

That's a Safari Authentics protoceratops. A smaller version was made for the toobs but originally it was sold in a box set. The styracosaurus in the second picture is by Tyco. It was a dino-riders toy but at some point was packaged without the accessories for the Smithsonian. The pteranodon in the last pic is from the Wild Safari Dinosaurs also by Safari Ltd.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shonisaurus

The dimetrodon of the third photo is from the company U.K.R.D. At least that seems to me.

Roselaar

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 18, 2018, 03:05:54 PM
The dimetrodon of the third photo is from the company U.K.R.D. At least that seems to me.

All the figures in that shot are UKRD. The Styracosaurus in the second pic is a Tyco Dino Riders figure, while the blue figure in the same shot is a Playskool Definitely Dinos release. Most (but not all) of the little figures in pic 4 are re-released Panini figures (too glossy to be originals). The Pteranodon in the last shot is also a Safari figure I believe. Most of the other figures are random Chinasaurs.

Lovely little eclectic bunch you got here! Welcome to the boards! :)

Melanite

Thanks everyone! It's great to have some search terms now that I can use to learn more.

On the more recent side of things, my husband gave me the purple Papo T. rex for my birthday last year. She works great on the nightstand for holding my glasses!

I also picked up the Safari good luck mini dinosaurs on a whim at the craft store, because they are irresistibly tiny! The T. rexes and brachiosaurus don't like to stand real well, but the rest hang out on top of my keyboard while I read the blog.

Mini Minmi

That Papo t.rex reminds me of a librarian with your glasses on. I can just picture it going "Shhhhhh..."

I also like that chinasaur stegosaurus in your first picture. Its face is just so silly.   ;D

Neosodon

Those mini's are cute, especially the Apatosaurus.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Libraraptor

What a funny idea with those glasses!

ceratopsian

I think "glasses holder" is the most imaginative idea for dinosaur usage I've ever seen!

Bokisaurus

Welcome and cute collection you got there. I remember some of those from when I was a kid.

Shonisaurus

Magnificent photos on the other hand tyrannosaurus rex holding the glasses makes it a very funny figure, and proves that a dinosaur can be useful not only as a decorative element but also as an element in which you can place your personal assets as an example.

On the other hand the mini dinosaurs, I think they are from Safari are fabulous. I attest to that.

Welcome to the Melatine forum.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.