News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Brocc21 on September 28, 2018, 09:44:28 PM
MLMjp your a bit wrong on that. Carnotaurus was a very lean creature. It had crazy long legs that were yes muscular but very lean. Safaris carno has too short legs. Although he was rather "thicc" in the tail. Being as wide if not wider that the hips. This was to hold the huge caudifemurmorialis muscle. If I'm right I think a carno could reach 30 mph. Watch the Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong on carno it's really interesting.

I believe the notion of Carnotaurus (and other Abelisaurs) having had long, lanky legs has been proven incorrect. I remember seeing a paleontologist rant on Facebook a short while ago about Carnotaurus legs, saying they were shorter than most restorations.

(By dibrangosaurus on DeviantART)

EDIT: Aforementioned rant

Brocc21

Hmm interesting. Thanks for letting me know!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Concavenator

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 05:09:29 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on September 28, 2018, 04:31:49 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson ,which concept of Spinosaurus is this new sculpt based on,the Ibrahim model,or the corrected Scott Hartman version?

It is based on the Ibrahim model. Ibrahim addressed Hartman's "corrected" version on Hartman's blog and Hartman said he would address Ibrahim's rebuttal at a later date, that was 2014 and there is nothing yet that I can see.
Also when the recent paper came out claiming Spinosaurus was not an aquatic animal Ibrahim responded that there is more Spinosaurus material being prepared and will be described and considering he does not agree with the recent paper I am guessing the new material may support his interpretation.
Well,if there's more Spinosaurus material to be studied, there would be more reasons not to to make a figure of it.Don't get me wrong,I love the 2014 Spinosaurus concept ,I think it represents an imcredible and rather unique animal.I used to think it was accurate (and it may be more accurate than any Spinosaurus representation before 2014,as there is more data).But from that to saying that science is able to provide a 'safe take' on it there's a considerable way.And like Patrx mentioned,producing a figure is much more complex than a simple drawing.
Anyways,it's a great figure that I might very well get,as I think it is more accurate than the CollectA 2015 one (which I have).
Also,I see you went for the hump concept rather than the sail right?At least it looks like so  ;D

Jose S.M.

People really live their skinny theropods right? I've also seen complaints that Allosaurus is too bulky in videos. Also complaints about the Stegosaurus that made me think people is not aware of the recent changes in the anatomy but I place a little of guilt on the promo pics for this too, some are in an angle that's not exactly horizontal.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Andreioli on September 27, 2018, 06:18:27 PM
I don't know if you guys noticed this about the new Allosaurus paint application, but there are some blatant differences between the right and left side.
Look at the middle part of the feet and the sides of the chest where the arms attach:
Safari Allo by andrei_olint, on Flickr

What do you think ?
Maybe the paint application was rushed in time for the photo shoot, or is this intentional ?

Personally, I really like the Allosaurus model but I think the paint app can use some more bleding and definintely some dark wash over all that white from the underside.

Wow, that paint difference on the belly is going to be a let down if it is in the final production models. On the legs I wouldn't mind some differences, but the whole side of the belly white on one side only and not on the other is annoying.

Flaffy

I hope the right side is the correct side, while the left being the side with paint defects.

I really like that the arm's paint is separated from the main body by a bold white line.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I would like to ask you if Safari 2019's spinosaurus, which is a work of art, is by the way, can it be supported without problems?

On the other hand, when will dinosaur novelties from Safari 2019, which you have made in particular prehistoric dinosaurs, be available for sale online at European and American level? Before December?

Especially I like very much of your last figures of Safari 2019 allosaurus, pteranodon, prestosuchus, styracosaurus, camarasaurus, coelodonta antiquitatis (woolly rhinoceros), carnotaurus and citipati. They are the best figures in PVC format that have been made so far, taking into account that prestosuchus and citipati are almost unknown figures in the toy market.

I really like your scientific and paleontological disquisitions about spinosaurus and stegosaurus are other magnificent works.

Honestly and not to be hypocrite the new tyrannosaurus rex Safari 2019 does not look at all in terms of genius to your feathered Tyrannosaurus rex Safari 2017. I'm glad it was not sculpted by you.

Sim

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 15, 2018, 01:40:04 AM
Quote from: Sim on August 14, 2018, 11:53:19 PM
I think it's the Carnotaurus's tail.  I'm curious about the figure that has its eye looking through the box, it looks like a feathered animal.

To me that eye belongs to and eagle.

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. it's funny that it turned out to be a dragon: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/freedom-dragon

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Flaffy on September 29, 2018, 03:12:27 AM
I hope the right side is the correct side, while the left being the side with paint defects.

I really like that the arm's paint is separated from the main body by a bold white line.
I think the right side looks weird.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Fembrogon

That Pteranodon and Allosaurus make me very happy. I've been interested in seeing more quadruped pterosaur figures, and the Allo just might be the definitive figure we've been waiting for! (Paint app issues aside)
Stegosaurus looks odd to me, but I think I'm just not used to the Sophie reconstruction (I really should read up on that). I bet the colors will look fine once I'm used to the shape.
Spinosaurus actually underwhelms me a bit; I think I was hoping if Safari did a Spino, it would be less obviously croc-inspired, since Collecta already did that. Still, it's not a bad figure by any means, and I'll be sure to het it after it's out.

All in all, I think this is a satisfactory lineup for next year. Great job, Doug Watson!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 05:09:29 PM
It is based on the Ibrahim model. Ibrahim addressed Hartman's "corrected" version on Hartman's blog and Hartman said he would address Ibrahim's rebuttal at a later date, that was 2014 and there is nothing yet that I can see.
Also when the recent paper came out claiming Spinosaurus was not an aquatic animal Ibrahim responded that there is more Spinosaurus material being prepared and will be described and considering he does not agree with the recent paper I am guessing the new material may support his interpretation.

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 09:08:47 PM
My Spinosaurus was finished long before the latest paper suggesting it could balance like this so I didn't test the theory but I can say as someone who has balanced a few theropods that there sure looks like a lot of bulk ahead of the hips and I doubt it would actually balance like that. I would love to see a properly built model that could stand without a weighted tail or a base. If you look at Schleich's they couldn't do it and it ends up with the hand touching.

Just finished this and I see Lanthanotus has posted the same doubts.

There's a lot of uncertainty around Spinosaurus in general, right down to whether there's multiple large spinosaurs in North Africa or not, but the most reasonable-sounding take I've heard is that (paraphrasing Witton) is that there seems to have been SOMETHING at least vaguely like the Ibrahim model walking around back then. Maybe one day we'll have to start pretending Doug's toy is a Sigilimisaurus or something, but it's close enough to something that actually existed that I think we can settle in and enjoy it.

As far as bipedalism, it's important to note that the real animal would have had a significant hollow space in its chest for at least the lungs. As a semi-aquatic animal, perhaps it did not retain pervasive air sacs, but that's always a possibility as well. Therefore, what would have been possible for the real animal may not be possible for a model made out of solid plastic.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on September 29, 2018, 12:23:18 AM
Well,if there's more Spinosaurus material to be studied, there would be more reasons not to to make a figure of it.

Well I finished the Spinosaurus long before Ibrahim disclosed that there was new material and since I am not a clairvoyant I went with what I had. I doubt he would have brought the new material up in his rebuttal if he thought it contradicted his restoration.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 29, 2018, 02:50:17 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I would like to ask you if Safari 2019's spinosaurus, which is a work of art, is by the way, can it be supported without problems?

On the other hand, when will dinosaur novelties from Safari 2019, which you have made in particular prehistoric dinosaurs, be available for sale online at European and American level? Before December?

As I mentioned in a previous post it rests flat on all four hands and feet, plus it looks like the tip of the tail may touch on some.

I don't know when models will hit the market best address that question directly to Safari Ltd.  :)

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 27, 2018, 11:09:49 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 27, 2018, 10:45:24 AMI am not totally convinced regardless of whether it is the best figure ever made of stegosaurus made by Carnegie / Safari in his whole story I like more his predecessor of the line Safari seems to me a more realistic stegosaurus.
Whilst I can understand you liking the retro Stegosaurus more, I don't understand how you can say the old chimera Stegosaurus can possible be a more realistic Stegosaurus than this one, which is based on an actual Stegosaurus.
Unless of course, you're just talking about the colour scheme, in which case ignore what I've just said.

I understand that I have expressed myself incorrectly. The stegosaurus of Safari 2019 is more realistic (I point out that I do not understand paleontology) but I sincerely like the old stegosaurus (retro) of Safari and I say this with all due respect to you and the other members of the forum and above all I say With all due respect to the Safari sculptor.

Within my ignorance I see in this Safari 2019 stegosaurus (magnificent, outstanding and impressive) that has a bigger head than it should have said figure with absolute security I am wrong but it is my opinion criticizable but that I express within the parameters of respect to the company Safari (perhaps my favorite company) and to the members of the forum who like me are followers of Safari and its dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I'd just like to give my opinion on the comparison between the Wild Safari Stegosaurus of 2019 and the one from 2008.  I have owned the 2008 Stegosaurus and I find it has some nice features and it tends to photograph well.  However, it has some quite major flaws.  First of all, the tail of the 2008 Stegosaurus is too small.  The size of the plates and spikes on its tail look fine, it's the tail itself that's too small on that figure.  In the end I just couldn't put up with its tail being so small, and this is the reason the 2008 Stegosaurus is no longer part of my collection.

Another flaw of the 2008 Stegosaurus is it doesn't have the throat armour that Stegosaurus is known to have.  The 2008 Stegosaurus also has a weird texture on the inner side of its plates.  You mentioned you think the 2019 Stegosaurus has a head that's too big.  I've done several comparisons, and to me it appears the head of the 2019 Stegosaurus is the correct size.  The 2008 Stegosaurus however appears to have a head that's too short.

It's fine to prefer the 2008 Stegosaurus to the 2019 one.  Personally, I prefer the 2019 Stegosaurus to the 2008 version by far, for the following reasons:

- The 2008 version gets a number of major things wrong which makes it completely unsatisfying to me, while as far as I can tell the 2019 gets all those things right.  I'm particularly happy that the 2019 version has the throat armour, I was a bit disappointed the 2008 version didn't have it.  The 2019 Stegosaurus looks like a very nice and correct representation of Stegosaurus.

- I much prefer the pose of the 2019 version (closed mouth, tail swinging to the side) to the pose of the 2008 version (mouth open, tail in an S-shape).

- I prefer the surface detail on the 2019 version too.  On the 2008 version it's a bit too wrinkly for my liking, although I feel it's one of the nicer examples of wrinkly texture on a dinosaur toy.

- There is one thing I prefer on the 2008 version and that's the colouration of the plates.  I like the rest of the animal's colouration more on the 2019 version though, so overall I prefer the colouration of the 2019 version.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 08:29:16 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on September 28, 2018, 05:07:19 AM

did you do last years amazing WW Florida panther? I actually like Safari's wild cat sculpts better than Papo's(which to me have always had weird faces.)

love your work always, just wish a lot of it didn't get muddied up by the sometimes thick & sloppy factory paints.

Thanks yes so far I have done all of the WW cats and all of the WWs except for the Arctic Fox.

oh wow! great job on those!  8)

Vidusaurus

With regard to all the hubbub about the possibility of the new Spinosaurus being "proved" inaccurate later down the line (there are too many people to directly respond to each complaint), I think it's important to reconstruct extinct animals to the best of our current knowledge, even if that knowledge is incomplete and especially if that knowledge goes against established convention. As Stuckasaurus said, there's fairly solid evidence that something close to the Ibrahim et al spinosaurine lived in north African waterways ~100mya, so while it may not end up being Spinosaurus itself, there's no reason not to produce paleoart of it, and the Safari line definitely constitutes paleoart rather than mere toys. And to paraphrase Mark Witton (which seems to be a popular trend in this thread), the fact that a given reconstruction may end up being wrong isn't reason to stop reconstructing it, it just means that artists need to stay up to date on the evidence available, which Doug obviously has.

Dyscrasia

I really like the sculpts of the upcoming Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, and the swimming Spinosaurus, 
but the way they are colored is somewhat underwhelming

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on September 29, 2018, 11:53:42 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 27, 2018, 11:09:49 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 27, 2018, 10:45:24 AMI am not totally convinced regardless of whether it is the best figure ever made of stegosaurus made by Carnegie / Safari in his whole story I like more his predecessor of the line Safari seems to me a more realistic stegosaurus.
Whilst I can understand you liking the retro Stegosaurus more, I don't understand how you can say the old chimera Stegosaurus can possible be a more realistic Stegosaurus than this one, which is based on an actual Stegosaurus.
Unless of course, you're just talking about the colour scheme, in which case ignore what I've just said.

I understand that I have expressed myself incorrectly. The stegosaurus of Safari 2019 is more realistic (I point out that I do not understand paleontology) but I sincerely like the old stegosaurus (retro) of Safari and I say this with all due respect to you and the other members of the forum and above all I say With all due respect to the Safari sculptor.

Within my ignorance I see in this Safari 2019 stegosaurus (magnificent, outstanding and impressive) that has a bigger head than it should have said figure with absolute security I am wrong but it is my opinion criticizable but that I express within the parameters of respect to the company Safari (perhaps my favorite company) and to the members of the forum who like me are followers of Safari and its dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I'd just like to give my opinion on the comparison between the Wild Safari Stegosaurus of 2019 and the one from 2008.  I have owned the 2008 Stegosaurus and I find it has some nice features and it tends to photograph well.  However, it has some quite major flaws.  First of all, the tail of the 2008 Stegosaurus is too small.  The size of the plates and spikes on its tail look fine, it's the tail itself that's too small on that figure.  In the end I just couldn't put up with its tail being so small, and this is the reason the 2008 Stegosaurus is no longer part of my collection.

Another flaw of the 2008 Stegosaurus is it doesn't have the throat armour that Stegosaurus is known to have.  The 2008 Stegosaurus also has a weird texture on the inner side of its plates.  You mentioned you think the 2019 Stegosaurus has a head that's too big.  I've done several comparisons, and to me it appears the head of the 2019 Stegosaurus is the correct size.  The 2008 Stegosaurus however appears to have a head that's too short.

It's fine to prefer the 2008 Stegosaurus to the 2019 one.  Personally, I prefer the 2019 Stegosaurus to the 2008 version by far, for the following reasons:

- The 2008 version gets a number of major things wrong which makes it completely unsatisfying to me, while as far as I can tell the 2019 gets all those things right.  I'm particularly happy that the 2019 version has the throat armour, I was a bit disappointed the 2008 version didn't have it.  The 2019 Stegosaurus looks like a very nice and correct representation of Stegosaurus.

- I much prefer the pose of the 2019 version (closed mouth, tail swinging to the side) to the pose of the 2008 version (mouth open, tail in an S-shape).

- I prefer the surface detail on the 2019 version too.  On the 2008 version it's a bit too wrinkly for my liking, although I feel it's one of the nicer examples of wrinkly texture on a dinosaur toy.

- There is one thing I prefer on the 2008 version and that's the colouration of the plates.  I like the rest of the animal's colouration more on the 2019 version though, so overall I prefer the colouration of the 2019 version.

avatar_Sim @Sim Thanks for the clarification Sim, then reading your scientific explanations I see that I am fortunately wrong in my opinion with respect to the Safari 2019 stegosaurus. It is in this case the same beauty and genius as the styracosaurus, allosaurus or pteranodon, being the best of its kind in toy figures and in this case PVC.

Sauropelta

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Dan

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: