News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Personally,  I like Safaris model better. Because its the less Risky of all three of them.

I mean There is so much we are uncertain about Spinosaurus that i would advise Companys not to make one thats not intended to be a JP Ripoff or the like for the time being. From the way i see it, Spinosaurus was ill suited for movement on land with its tiny legs.

I honestly think we should wait until someone has the Safari model in hand before we say that the back legs are broken.  I mean I trust that the Sculptor was "Educated" enough to know how to make a Dinosaur model by now.  ;)

stargatedalek

I didn't say they were broken, I said the ankles weren't bent which gave them the illusion of looking like humanoid/plantigrade legs. I fully trust that Doug Watson knows what he's doing. I didn't like some of the more speculative crocodilian features of the design, but that's just how art works. ;)

As for how much we do know, it's more than a lot of people seem to like to acknowledge.

Assuming Spinosaurus moved very infrequently, or perhaps if it was trying to move more quickly than normal, it was physically capable of knuckle walking, though its fingers weren't designed for this and it would likely have been painful. It certainly wouldn't have been able to hold itself like this while standing at rest or for any great length of time.

As for bipedalism however, that is almost certainly impossible. It has nothing to do with balance and everything with how atrophied the leg muscles are, the legs simply lacked the muscles that are used to lock legs in place when weight is placed on them. No matter how long the legs were, no matter how many counterbalance tweaks you make, it's not going to stand on its hind legs. Even quadrupedal terrestrial animals don't typically see atrophy like this, and those that can move on their hind legs, like monitor lizards, have extremely strongly muscled legs.

Whether this means Spinosaurus placed their weight on their belly or their forearms were it to spend long periods on land we may never know.

Sim

Quote from: PhilSauria on November 17, 2018, 03:40:07 AM
Spinosaurus 2018 / 2019 - contenders for our cash update (provided that Rebor prototype goes the distance).

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria, I'm looking forward to seeing you do an updated comparison with the PNSO Spinosaurus :))

Minmiminime

Maybe avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria could add the Favorite and CollectA versions on, too? ;)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Neosodon

I think safari's Spinosaurus works well if you imagine it as a juvenile. The color, skin texture and folds seem fitting of a smaller animal. Were as shleich's has the more adult look.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

PhilSauria

Quote from: Minmiminime on November 17, 2018, 09:14:38 PM
Maybe avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria could add the Favorite and CollectA versions on, too? ;)

No sooner said...

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's funny that Rebor and Schleich have actually managed to impress me over the heavy hitters like Safari and CollectA.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 18, 2018, 12:12:46 AM
It's funny that Rebor and Schleich have actually managed to impress me over the heavy hitters like Safari and CollectA.
I agree.  Though, Rebor did annoy me at first with their JP3 Spinosaurus.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on November 18, 2018, 01:29:35 AM

They would probably actually do a decent job on a JP3 Spino..it's sorta their bread and butter. 

tanystropheus

Why would it annoy you? Awesomebros and Paleobros will both get their preferred version. Everyone wins, except me and my wallet since I am interested in both sides of the spectrum (movie monsters and accurate representations).

Shonisaurus

Beautiful comparisons of the paleoartistic spinosaurus representations of the different toy brands. Thanks avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria  for the photos. All spinosaurs are magnificent.

Minmiminime

Awesome, thank you avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria  ;D That is one beautiful assemblage!!😻
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 18, 2018, 08:44:26 AM

Why would it annoy you? Awesomebros and Paleobros will both get their preferred version. Everyone wins, except me and my wallet since I am interested in both sides of the spectrum (movie monsters and accurate representations).
Because I feel Spinosaurus and Dilophosaurus are unable to get out from under the shadow of Jurassic Park and are rarely depicted properly, so seeing figures continuing to be based on those depictions is rather annoying.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Concavenator

I got some great news: the new Allosaurus is now in stock from Safari Ltd!!  :D

https://store.safariltd.com/products/allosaurus

y09urt

Quote from: Concavenator on November 20, 2018, 09:25:58 PM

Apparently, if you look at the rest of their 2019 selection, almost everything else is too. Including the Stego, Ptero, and Camarasaurus. Not sure if a mistake on Safari's part?  ???

mgaguilar

Quote from: y09urt on November 20, 2018, 09:54:35 PM

Apparently, if you look at the rest of their 2019 selection, almost everything else is too. Including the Stego, Ptero, and Camarasaurus. Not sure if a mistake on Safari's part?  ???

Yeap, you can bag all of them immediately. When they actually ship however, may differ.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on November 18, 2018, 02:10:34 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on November 18, 2018, 08:44:26 AM

Because I feel Spinosaurus and Dilophosaurus are unable to get out from under the shadow of Jurassic Park and are rarely depicted properly, so seeing figures continuing to be based on those depictions is rather annoying.

Fair enough. As far as Spino is concerned, I feel its image will change with the upcoming wave of Spino models (e.g. Schleich, WS and REBOR), especially with the Schleich since it is the most popular brand across a number of locations. Not sure when Dilo will get the attention that it deserves. Even accurate toy/model versions aren't quite that accurate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can bag and check out with all of them too.

free shipping over 40.00 and use code HOLIDAY15 for 15% off your order.

Shonisaurus

I give you good news! On Safari's website www.safariltd.com all the prehistoric animal novelties planned for 2019 are already available, I have a link,

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/release-year_2019+interest_prehistoric

In my case, I only have to wait until January-February so that online stores in Europe have these figures available. It's just a matter of waiting.

Blade-of-the-Moon

So Safari cancelled my order, not sure which one because I made two, the items still say " Bag it " on the website.  On the plus side they gave me a 20% off code for my next order.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: