News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 30, 2018, 03:21:42 PM
The Stegosaurus was changed at my request to more closely resemble the paint guide I did. It was not done as a cost saving in fact it probably cost more to do now so if you don't like it blame me.

Thanks for explaining the reason why a change to the Stegosaurus's paintjob was made, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson.  I'm glad to hear it wasn't done to reduce the price of the figure.  I'm a bit surprised to hear that the paintjob could cost more to do now, as it seems simpler than before, for example in having a less complex colouration on the limbs, and having the orange on its plates replaced with the same yellow as on the body.  However, my knowledge regarding paintjob cost is very limited and mostly comes from what I've seen for Beasts of the Mesozoic, and I'm sure you have more knowledge about paintjobs, particularly ones for figures you have made.

Is the Stegosaurus on the front cover of Safari's 2019 catalogs the paint guide you created?  Comparing the new and older colourations shown in Safari's photos to the Stegosaurus on the catalog, it's the older colouration that appears to look more like the Stegosaurus on the catalog's cover, to me...  Perhaps lighting is making the Stegosaurus on the catalog look more colourful, and the older colouration was based on this?  If that were the case, I could see the newer colouration becoming closer to the one on the catalog cover.
Although, the Stegosaurus on the catalog cover appears to have bands of different colour on the forelimbs and on the hindlimbs, perhaps to a lesser extent on the hindlimbs.  The older colouration for this figure shown in the pre-release photos by Safari did have colour bands on the limbs.  The new colouration shown on Safari's Instagram however doesn't have the colour bands, instead it has brown continuously going down the limbs.  Personally, I'm finding this is the worst change.  Breaking the colour of the limbs up with bands made this figure feel more like a real animal, to me.  In contrast, having the dark brown, which is otherwise restricted to the very top of the figure, then come straight down all four limbs looks very stark to me.

I prefer how the head looks in both the older colouration and the new colouration, compared to the one on the catalog.  One change to the Stegosaurus's new colouration I think would make me like it more is adding the colour bands back to the limbs.  Even if it's just yellow to break up the solid brown running down each limb.

Faelrin

So a bit of an update of my situation. I just got a generic response from when I used the contact us thing on Safari Ltd's website. Is that not the correct method to use for a product exchange? Or is that just an automated response and I should be more patient?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Sim on November 30, 2018, 01:48:57 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed at the change to the Stegosaurus.  A part of me hopes that the images are just making it look worse than it actually looks, but some aspects of it I don't think are being affected by the image quality.  First of all, I liked how the Stegosaurus looked before.  I wonder why it's been changed so much to look like that?  Was it to reduce its price by giving it a simpler and inferior paintjob? 

The Stegosaurus was changed at my request to more closely resemble the paint guide I did. It was not done as a cost saving in fact it probably cost more to do now so if you don't like it blame me.
Curious Doug, does the Allosaurus more closely resemble your paint guide?  Cause I'm wondering what your inspiration was for making the arms stand out so much.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Joey

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 30, 2018, 04:05:44 AM
The Stegosaurus looks more or less the same to me. I think the discrepancy is due to the much lower resolution on the Instagram image.

However, I don't like the colors on the Allosaurus. It looks too elaborate for my taste. I will have to turn to Papo for my Allosaurus fix  :'(
I completely agree with you.

Pachyrhinosaurus

If the stegosaurus looks like that then I think it's an improvement over the typical paint quality that Safari normally puts out. They're my favorite company but the production paintjobs generally aren't great so it's nice to see some improvement there.

Not sure about the allosaurus, though. I think it could have done better with a softer and more earthy color scheme but I'll still be getting it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shonisaurus

In my case I'm not attached to the Instagram page, so I can not see Doug's Safari stegosaurus. Could someone show these photographs? I am interested in seeing that wonder of Doug to change my perception of that figure and realize that it is much better than he believed me. I know positively that promotional photographs often deceive.

Sauropelta

I'm definitely getting the Allo, making it my first theropod figure. But I do agree a more predatory color - like brown, tan, red, grey, black - might have suited it better. As for the Stego, I just wish the plates stood out more from the body color. Looks fine to me. I actually would switch stegos brown color for Allos green color and keep the rest the same.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Dimitar_E

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 01, 2018, 09:36:36 AM
In my case I'm not attached to the Instagram page, so I can not see Doug's Safari stegosaurus. Could someone show these photographs? I am interested in seeing that wonder of Doug to change my perception of that figure and realize that it is much better than he believed me. I know positively that promotional photographs often deceive.

Please find bellow, Shonisaurus :)

Ikessauro

The Allosaurus has improved a lot. I think the Stegosaurus is looking worse, too much dark brown, there seems to be less color variation and subtleties.

Jose S.M.

I guess I'm the only one who likes the new Stego colors better  :P and  I'm still not sold on the Allosaurus, the green and white I like, but not the black stripes.

suspsy

I really don't care about the colours. They're not what I personally would have gone with, but I'm just thrilled to finally own an up-to-date Stegosaurus and Allosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Minmiminime

I prefer 'em both ^-^ The Stego sculpt is gorgeous anyway, and I have no doubt it'll look even better in the hand. For all it's inaccuracies the current one is still a beaut, but this blows it out of the water!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

D @Dimitar_E Thanks for the photos. Doug Watson's Safari stegosaurus of 2019 is bestially awesome! I want allosaurus, stegosaurus, pteranodon and spinosaurus to be commercialized soon in Europe! I can not wait.  :P

My perception of the 2019 Safari Stegosaurus is changing radically I will have to admit that it is better than its predecessor of the same brand.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: Sim on November 30, 2018, 01:48:57 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed at the change to the Stegosaurus.  A part of me hopes that the images are just making it look worse than it actually looks, but some aspects of it I don't think are being affected by the image quality.  First of all, I liked how the Stegosaurus looked before.  I wonder why it's been changed so much to look like that?  Was it to reduce its price by giving it a simpler and inferior paintjob? 

Great choice mr Watson. The paintjob looks WAY better than before. At first a was unsure but now with these new colors it's a definite buy.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Both Stegosaurus paint jobs look great to me, but this new one feel more naturalistic so I prefer it on principle. Just excited to have an accurate Stegosaurus for a change.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, the new version of stegosaurus painting with respect to the first promotional image of Safari 2019 is much more realistic.

SidB

This new paint application has moved the Stego from a probable to a definite purchase for me.

Brocc21

Kind of unrelated to the discussion but could anyone post a picture of the carnotaurus next to the Carnegie saltasaurus?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately, most of the members of the forum who bought Safari dinosaur novelties and who have a photographic machine have not published photographs about the new prehistoric animals of Safari 2019. Not even many promotional videos.

For example the styracosaurus Safari 2019 at least for me the best styracosaurus made by any company so far have not even published specific videos of this magnificent animal. We have pictures and videos with another Safari 2019 figure but not a specific explanatory video.

Carnotaurus photographs have been published but sincerely many photographs of the Safari 2019 novelties have not been published with respect to previous years.

Dimitar_E

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 03, 2018, 08:49:52 AM

For example the styracosaurus Safari 2019 at least for me the best styracosaurus made by any company so far have not even published specific videos of this magnificent animal. We have pictures and videos with another Safari 2019 figure but not a specific explanatory video.

Spinodude will have video review of the Styracosaurus in the next few days :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: