You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Most overlooked family of dinosaurs in toy form

Started by Brocc21, August 13, 2018, 05:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

My bet is therizenosaurs. There aren't many GOOD ones. What's your pick.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Libraraptor

Papo. Looks great.
Bullyland. Looks good.
Battat Terra. Looks very good.
Safari. A classic,  albeit a little outdated.
Chap Mei.  Looks weird.
Schleich also has one...

CityRaptor

Schleich's is either a Kaiju or a Skeksis.

As for the topic: My bet would be either Hadrosaurs, Pachycephalosaurs or Ornithomimosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Alvarezsauridae, Heterodontosauridae, Compsognathidae (a few JP inspired toys aside), and the "prosauropods". Really any clade of small, basal dinosaurs.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Libraraptor on August 13, 2018, 06:16:41 AM
Papo. Looks great.
Bullyland. Looks good.
Chap Mei.  Looks weird.
Schleich also has one...

Oh it seems I totally failed the topic of this thread! ;D I had thought that Brocc22 thought the therizinosaurs were the most underrated family... Next time I'll wait with posting until I am awake...

Jose S.M.

I think troodontids deserve more attention from the big companies.

Ravonium

I'd say most small (speaking in terms of average size) dinosaurs (both theropods and ornithscians) and anything that is basal are the most underrated dinosaur groups in toy form.

ZoPteryx

Prehistoric hummingbirds, I don't think there's a single one!  ;)

Quote from: Gwangi on August 13, 2018, 01:29:04 PM
Alvarezsauridae, Heterodontosauridae, Compsognathidae (a few JP inspired toys aside), and the "prosauropods". Really any clade of small, basal dinosaurs.
Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 13, 2018, 02:57:41 PM
I think troodontids deserve more attention from the big companies.

These.  Also basal "true" sauropods, herrerasaurids, and Eoraptor.  I'm always surprised that last one hasn't been made yet, it's pretty famous as far as Triassic dinos go.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on August 13, 2018, 02:28:04 PM
Papo. Looks great.
Bullyland. Looks good.
Chap Mei.  Looks weird.
Schleich also has one...

Oh it seems I totally failed the topic of this thread! ;D I had thought that Brocc22 thought the therizinosaurs were the most underrated family... Next time I'll wait with posting until I am awake...

It's understandable, the title contains a confusing typo (I think), and the OP is so brief I'm still not sure what they're actually asking. Maybe they meant "overlooked" instead of "underaters[sic]".

Brocc21

Yeah sorry for the confusing title. I meant that I think we don't have many good figures. They get over looked or are given mediocre figures. Papa looks like it came off of speckles the tarbosaurus and schleichs is a kiaju. Safaris great Dino Thera looks weird. But the battat bully land and carnagie look pretty good

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Brocc21 on August 14, 2018, 04:19:51 PM
Yeah, sorry for the confusing title. I meant dinosaur families that I think we don't have many good figures of. Ones that They get over looked overlooked or are given represented by mediocre figures. The PapaPapo Therizinosaurus looks like it is from came off of 'Sspeckles the Ttarbosaurus', while and Sschleich's looks like is a kiaju. Safari's Ggreat Dinos Theria looks weird. But the Bbattat, bully land, Bullyland and Carnegie carnagie versions look pretty good

Remember, you can modify posts to correct them for errors. Perhaps you could correct the title of this thread?

In general, please take your time when composing posts. There is no rush. Basic grammar and punctuation is encouraged on the DTF because it is fundamental for efficient communication. This is why it is one of the forum rules: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0 (Rule 5. Use basic grammar and punctuation). We take into account dyslexia and member's age, and the occasional typo is no big deal, but we do appreciate member's putting in the effort to produce coherent posts with complete sentences. See my corrections above as an example. Thanks! 8) C:-) - Admin

Brocc21

I'll change the title. And I wrote that reply on my phone btw, sorry bout that.

Brontozaurus

Ornithopods in general definitely qualify. You get a few hadrosaurs, yeah, and then an Iguanodon or a random like Ouranosaurus or Muttaburrasaurus, but then companies seem to go back to churning out theropods over hypsilophodonts or crestless hadrosaurs.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Neosodon

Onithopods are definitely underrepresented for their success as a group. But it terms of actual numbers I'd have to go with stegosaurs. We've got none from safari over the last 5 or more years and only one from collecta.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Neosodon on August 16, 2018, 03:14:31 PM
Onithopods are definitely underrepresented for their success as a group. But it terms of actual numbers I'd have to go with stegosaurs. We've got none from safari over the last 5 or more years and only one from collecta.

Schleich have shown some love to Stegosaurus and Kentrosaurus, but we'll they are not bad but not up the standard set by Papo, Collecta and Safari (this companies need to show stegosaurs more appreciation hehe). The Chinese companies seem to have more love for stegosaurs, PNSO have the Chungkingosaurus and various minis and Vitae just released their Wuerhosaurus.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Brocc21 on August 14, 2018, 08:39:50 PM
I'll change the title. And I wrote that reply on my phone btw, sorry bout that.

Thanks! No big deal. :)

Vidusaurus

Basal Ornithopods (Elasmarians, Thescelosaurs, Dryosaurs etc.), Saurischians (using the Ornithoscelida model) rootward of Neosauropoda, and any Theropod under about 7-8 metres not named Velociraptor, Microraptor or Archaeopteryx are criminally underrepresented in museum-quality toylines.

Libraraptor

Basal Ornithopods
Early Dinosauromorphs (Lagosuchus etc.)

And is there no fluffy Ornithopod yet out as a figure?

Shonisaurus

Although it seems extremely shocking and paradoxical to me apart from the mentioned dinosaurs that are practically non-existent in the market of prehistoric toy animals, for me one of the poorly represented dinosaurs with the exception of the overrepresented Tyrannosaurus rex are the dinosaurs of that family such as the albertosaurus , sinraptor, tarbosaurus, gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus or alioramus to mention some examples that come to my mind of tyrannosaurs, although there are companies that have made replicas of these dinosaurs Favorite, Safari or Collecta their paleontological recreations are extremely poor for me they are tiny and less detailed than the omnipresent head of the tyrannosaurus rex species.

Rexorasaurus

Papo. Looks great.
Bullyland. Looks good.
Chap Mei.  Looks weird.
Schleich also has one...
well... schleich actually has 4 or 5 of them... god

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: