News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mesoamerican fossil formations

Started by Newt, September 19, 2018, 09:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

I'm compiling a list of North American geological formations with diverse large-bodied vertebrate faunas - e.g., Organ Rock, Chinle, Morrison, Niobrara, Hell Creek, Ogalalla, Rancho la Brea, and so on - for purposes of future paleo-art projects. While I'm familiar enough with the famous fossil localities and horizons of the USA and Canada, I realized I am abysmally ignorant of their counterparts in Mexico and Central America. If any of you could help alleviate my ignorance I would be most appreciative.

Halichoeres

You've probably already found the Aguja Formation, which spans part of Texas and Chihuahua. I don't know much about the Mesozoic of Meso-America in particular, it seems possible that a lot of it wasn't even terrestrial then and anyway sampling effort has been low. But there's been at least one hadrosauroid reported from the Santonian of Michoacán (http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/e11-062#.W6QOq6mQxEI). The site is called Barranca Los Bonetes but I'm not aware of anything else published from there as of right now.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Gracias, compadre! I had not found the Aguja, actually.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking only at the Mesozoic. Any info on Paleozoic and Cenozoic formations or sites is also welcome. The most interesting one I've found so far is the Miocene Juchipila formation of Zacatecas, which has a broadly similar fauna to more northern Miocene sites but has a unique combination of taxa.

Halichoeres

Ha ha, whoops. I think I just took the prefix "Meso-" and applied it to every word in your request. La Brea alone should have told me otherwise. Anyway, I found a couple others:

Cerro del Pueblo (Campanian-Maastrichtian, Coahuila)
Hoyo Negro (Pleistocene cave deposit, Quintana Roo)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

stegosauria

Maybe not exactly Mesoamerican but there's the Cerrejón Formation in Colombia where the Titanoboa was found.

Newt

Thanks! I will work up a list of South American and Caribbean formations when my North American project is done. They seem to be easier to find info on than Mesoamerican sites - or at least Argentina and Brazil have a lot of readily available information.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.