News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 29, 2019, 10:06:35 PM
Just seems a lot of wasted paper and plastic in that box.  The older Carnegie and Battat figures were more economical.

^this.

Honestly, I didn't  need the packaging. Most of these things come in bags anyway; the box is just gonna end up as trash.

Shonisaurus

What saddens me and frustrates me that some dinosaur figures that appear in commercial or "promotion" photos like the limited edition Papo spinosaurus 2019 deceive the buyer, in the sense that the real figure changes and the initial "makeup" of painting of said low quality figure with respect to the original figure.

I'm afraid we're going to take another frustration with the Mojo 2020 dinosaurs to give an example. One is the prototype and the other the real dinosaur that is sold in stores. Anyway I look forward to this figure.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on November 29, 2019, 10:10:35 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 29, 2019, 10:06:35 PM
Just seems a lot of wasted paper and plastic in that box.  The older Carnegie and Battat figures were more economical.

^this.

Honestly, I didn't  need the packaging. Most of these things come in bags anyway; the box is just gonna end up as trash.

I know they wanted something for "in box" collectors, but it looks like 2-3 of them could fit in there and the figure is still partially hidden behind the trees and leaves and wording.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 29, 2019, 10:17:43 PM
What saddens me and frustrates me that some dinosaur figures that appear in commercial or "promotion" photos like the limited edition Papo spinosaurus 2019 deceive the buyer, in the sense that the real figure changes and the initial "makeup" of painting of said low quality figure with respect to the original figure.

I'm afraid we're going to take another frustration with the Mojo 2020 dinosaurs to give an example. One is the prototype and the other the real dinosaur that is sold in stores. Anyway I look forward to this figure.

Even though I understand your point of view, I wouldn't compare the Papo Spinosaurus with the Mojo 2018 trainwreck. I mean, the painting on the Spinosaurus looks different, but the stripes and spots are still there.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Mattyonyx on November 29, 2019, 10:57:15 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 29, 2019, 10:17:43 PM

Even though I understand your point of view, I wouldn't compare the Papo Spinosaurus with the Mojo 2018 trainwreck. I mean, the painting on the Spinosaurus looks different, but the stripes and spots are still there.

True with all my respect to the sculptors and the Mojo brand I understand from my honest point of view that Papo dinosaurs are superior in quality perhaps because the age of a brand and veterania is a degree.

Anyway, Papo's spinosaurus is great anyway, but I wish it had been the same as the prototype. In fact I already bought it at urzeitshop.de and when everythingdinosaur let me know I will buy Papo's other spinosaurus. I have it reserved in pairs because it is a figure that I like and is one of the reasons why I changed my profile picture and put the Papo spinosaurus limited version.

Syndicate Bias

Blade-of-the-Moon

man its even worse when you see them side by side :/

Invicta Hunter

I think they rushed the paint job on this figure.
It almost looks like a knock off when compared to the painted prototype.

I really love the idea of limited edition Papo figures but i think they need to put a bit more effort in.
Also it would have been better if they had clear plastic on the one side of the box instead of it being open. When boxes have an open side it makes it hard to display them because if any dust gets in there it's a bugger to clean it without taking the figure out.

Syndicate Bias

empire3569

I must say, the criticism of the paint on this figure is a little disappointing, especially since none of us have seen it in person. Don't forget that the promo pics for the figure are done from the master paint scheme, that was painted by a professional, who only had to paint it one time. Not factory workers that are cranking out hundreds or thousands. And, the master paint scheme for the Spinosaurus is fairly complicated, with a lot of shading and blending and very subtle nuances, not something as plain as their T-rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Apatosaurus, or countless other "plain" models.

I think all in all the paint is pretty good for what I expected the mass produced models to be, and I think once we all get them in hand all will be well :)

Invicta Hunter

What's the point of painting the prototype good if you can't replicate it when the time comes for mass production.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on November 30, 2019, 01:08:57 AM
I think they rushed the paint job on this figure.
It almost looks like a knock off when compared to the painted prototype.

I really love the idea of limited edition Papo figures but i think they need to put a bit more effort in.
Also it would have been better if they had clear plastic on the one side of the box instead of it being open. When boxes have an open side it makes it hard to display them because if any dust gets in there it's a bugger to clean it without taking the figure out.

I made the same observation earlier. 

The box is open? I had thought it was plastic covered.

I'm not expecting the prototype quality on the paint apps. I'm cool with what we have on other Papos.  That said this paint job looks like a HUGE departure from the original.   I'm sure in person minus the camera flash , ect will look a little better since it will be darker.   There is also the the concept to consider, it's limited edition and pricey which raises expectations.

empire3569

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on November 30, 2019, 01:49:28 AM
What's the point of painting the prototype good if you can't replicate it when the time comes for mass production.

Excellent point, but again, I think the issue we should be disappointed in is the overly complicated paint master, not the ability of factory workers to attempt to replicate an overly complicated paint scheme

Faelrin

So uh, I haven't noticed this before, and don't know if someone else has noticed this, but why is there a big number one on the box (and yes that one Spongebob episode is coming to mind as the answer to that)?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I don't think this has anything to do with the soda hat. But, I'm guessing it means this is the start of a more "high-end" Papo collector line. Though, I still don't see any difference between this and a normal release, besides the packaging and price.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon Yeah you are definitely onto something with that. I'm not sure how I would feel about them doing more limited edition figures though. I've already been quite worried with getting this figure much of the year (alongside all the distribution issues with Mattel).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Killekor

Thanks for the photos Syndicate Bias!
I actually find the final figure really great! Ok, it's not like the production prototype, but not for this reason is a complete delusion. If the only problem it has it's the painting level I'm fine with it, because for me the important thing is the sculpt.
My opinion of it would be different if the quality of the plastic used and of the sculpt itself is bad; in that case I would stop collecting Papo figures forever, because I would consider them a fraud for that high price.
Anyways, I'm hopeful to see this Spinosaurus meet my expectations.

About the Number #1 on the box, there's no doubt that this means that we'll get more figures of this type in the future. I'm actually not quite excited to see the next figures of this LE line. It all depends of the figures themselves.

I would not be really interested in a T-Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus etc etc... mainly because there are already great figures of them from brands like Safari and REBOR. But I would REALLY happy to see figures like Epidexipterix, Sinornithosaurus Tanystropheus etc etc... I think that the "limited edition" line will gain a lot of money from a lot of people whatever they do in it (if the models are aesthetically pleasing and of a good quality). So I think that it's not a big risk, but a good idea to include some obscure species in this new line, so it can attract also the interest of the collectors which aren't interested in the famous dinosaurs.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Syndicate Bias

Yup yup all good bud I'll get mine Monday or Tuesday from HappyHen so hopefully I can see better how it actually looks like on hand.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I checked HappyHen and it seems the Spino is already out of stock. Unless it's just a system failure because all pthet things add on the cart but the Spino anymore with a display message saying it's not currently available  :-[

Also it would be pretty funny if we did get a Giga from Papo eventually and it turned out to be limited Edition idk how I would cope with that though lol

Shonisaurus

S @Syndicate Bias Thanks for the photos. Papo spinosaurus paint colors limited edition look much darker, as if they had roasted Papo spinosaurus. I would have preferred the real figure to be like the prototype as it happened with its pentaceratops, gorgosaurus, acrocanthosaurus, therizinosaurus or tyrannosaurus running (first edition). Anyway, what is said is a must.

MLMjp

Yeah the paint disappoints a little bit...It reminds me of how the Baryonyx turned out, I don't think is that bad, but for a limited edition I think they should have put more effort...Unless this is just a sample and the final product will be better...Who Knows...We would find out soon.

I´m still gonna get it though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: