News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 05, 2018, 04:11:32 AM
Something looked familiar about the colouration of than Pentaceratops and as I turn around to a certain picture that I have on my wall I see that this look is not a million miles away from the colour scheme on the Sideshow Triceratops. In my opinion I might add.

You're right, it does look like the colouration of the Papo Pentaceratops is based on that of the Sideshow Triceratops.  Papo has done this kind of thing before, for example the colouration of their Cryolophosaurus is very similar to that of the Sideshow Ceratosaurus.

DinoObsessed

The brown papo running tyrannosaurus isnt 100% like the brown one going for 500 it has some stripes on its legs.

Concavenator

I don't understand the Pentaceratops' pose.Is there any possibility that ceratopsians could rear that way?  ???

And now that Gorgosaurus...I want to like it,as there isn't any decent model of this stunning animal,but why is it featherless?  :(

The pose is weird too  :P

Ikessauro

Quote from: DinoObcessed on December 05, 2018, 02:41:51 PM
The brown papo running tyrannosaurus isnt 100% like the brown one going for 500 it has some stripes on its legs.

It's impossible to tell for sure, because in 2011 there was a picture on Mastermind toys quite similar. Here is it.

SpartanSquat

From what Paladinos said, Penta could be posed in 2 different poses.
About Gorgo, it clearly based in WWD movie, and this one is featherless. Despite all the controversies the evidence show adaçvance tyrannosaur are featherless and remember papo released most of their dinos featherless with the exception of the velociraptor. So we still dont know the camara, galli and maia would be release? I said for the leak posted days ago here.

suspsy

Well, the jury is still out on feathered tyrannosaurids, so no shock that Papo went with a scaly look. The pose on the Gorgosaurus does seem odd, but perhaps it'll look better from other angles.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: Dimitar_E on December 05, 2018, 07:05:09 AM
Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 12:56:20 AM
Perhaps the Pentaceratops will be able to go on all fours (into a ramming pose)? That would be really interesting!

What do you guys think?

Still, even if this would be the case, the pose of the tail would seem quite unnatural, IMHO...   :-\
[/quote
Perhaps a compromise position would work best - putting the penta on a 30-45 degree slope, either upwards or downwards.

MLMjp

I think these repaints look really good, but as good as they are, they are not going to encourage me to buy figures that I already have, although the Brown T.rex is tempting because of it´s background history.

The Gorgosaurus look nice, but it looks like is going squats. And what the heck with the Pentaceratops?! The figure looks so good and they give it that awkward pose...

Moodyraptor

Seems like this might be an unpopular opinion, but I really like the pentaceratops, and it's the only one of these I'd consider getting.  It's nice to see a bit of dynamism in herbivore poses, and it'll look spectacular on the shelf.

hao_bao

Quote from: Concavenator on December 05, 2018, 03:08:45 PM
I don't understand the Pentaceratops' pose.Is there any possibility that ceratopsians could rear that way?  ???

Elephants can go bipedal (when forced) but they don't have big fat tails in the way. It looks like a bit of a stretch to me.

Minmiminime

M @Moodyraptor I like the pose of the Pento too, unusual and surprising though it is :) It looks like it'll be one of those figures that's really enjoyable to handle!

I've seen crocs and alligators go bipedal before and although they're a totally different shape to ceratopsians, they nonetheless look like highly improbable candidates for being able to rear, so who knows? I've heard the pose of the Gorgosaurus being described rather accurately as "like it's doing a Number 2"😹 Someone must do that as a diorama..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

ruochuan

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.
Well, that's my brief review of 2019 release so far.
My dinosaur model pictures:
http://seattlesaurus.tumblr.com

Atokensis

Quote from: RolandEden on December 05, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
About Gorgo, it clearly based in WWD movie, and this one is featherless. Despite all the controversies the evidence show adaçvance tyrannosaur are featherless and remember papo released most of their dinos featherless with the exception of the velociraptor. So we still dont know the camara, galli and maia would be release? I said for the leak posted days ago here.

Great, now for some pictures. I wonder how 2 Pentaceratops (papo) ramming into each other would look like.

Syndicate Bias

The penta and gorgo are the only ones i see worth the buy even though the gorgo has that collecta standing issue that the Carcha and Acro have.

I dont know, the allo reminds me of the dino crisis 2 allosaurus so i might get it, the rex i can't get myself to buy it, the stego as well.

Rebor is coming out with a Stegosaurus thats far better, they bave a better jp rex and a more accurate one than before thats going to be half the price of this one.

I dont know Rebor seems like they're winning 2019 for me. And papo lacking in this honestly puts them on the bottom.

I honestly don't care so much for a Giganotosaurus from them, I just hoped to see less dynamic poses and maybe other kinds of dinosaurs like a concavenator or shunosaurus or whatever. Another sauripod wouldve been nice.

tanystropheus

Quote from: ruochuan on December 05, 2018, 05:53:31 PM
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.
Well, that's my brief review of 2019 release so far.

For some reason, I remember folks saying the same for 2018 (and 2017) release before jumping ship and praising it as one of the best launches in years. Also, don't forget there's about two more Papos that haven't been revealed.

There's a strong possibility that the Penta and Gorgo will look majestic from other camera angles (as was the case with Theri, Compy, Acro and Cerato) and that Papo will have two more triple A pieces. Having 4 stellar pieces in one year is no small feat. Of course, this is all hypothetical...but knowing Papo's track record and the level of discrepancy between their promotional and retail pieces gives some hope.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Atokensis on December 05, 2018, 06:06:26 PM
Quote from: RolandEden on December 05, 2018, 03:36:01 PM

Great, now for some pictures. I wonder how 2 Pentaceratops (papo) ramming into each other would look like.

Let's hope that it could be flipped around because two ramming Pentas would be beyond epic. Perhaps, the folks that took the promos really were clueless  as to how they were meant to be set up.

Atokensis

Yeah, maybe it was posed incorrectly like you said. :D

Shonisaurus

Then I see that many rumors about Papo, (that he was going to make a camarasaurus, gallimimus and maiasaura) are comparable to the fake news that exists in the news press.

Honestly I do not care that they have not drawn such figures (I agree with the ones that Papo has released in 2019) but for many members of the forum is to create false expectations and illusions that are not fulfilled and obviously causes some as is logical frustration

The same is true of the giganotosaurus that was speculated years ago that Papo would take this figure and I already talk about that for at least two or three years.

Honestly it is best to wait for the facts and ignore the comments that there is in the forums is as I say "radio bag".

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 05, 2018, 07:55:35 PM
Also, don't forget there's about two more Papos that haven't been revealed.

That's just an assumption, like the past year, when folks kept talking about a Giganotosaurus reveal for weeks after the actual line up leaked. I'm the first wanting another big Papo theropod, but I think it is extremely unlikely that there's gonna be more, and stating that like a fact will only bring people to moan, eventually. Then Paladinos Mexico pretty much confirmed on their Facebook that this is all. They said that Papo announced their new models for 2019, not that this is the first batch and more will follow.

On a different note, what does the Acrocanthosaurus and Compsognathus set has to do with this thread? They're both 2018 releases, and they are now sold as a combo while we're still in 2018, nothing to do with 2019 novelties. No?

Shonisaurus

I honestly do not think that Papo reveals more figures of prehistoric animals and dinosaurs. For my part I am happy with the pentaceratops and gorgosaurus two figures that I had never expected Papo to do and the three repainted.

Paradoxically yes the year 2018 was brighter in relation to prehistoric animals by Papo than this year, I have to be honest but there were unbeatable figures by Papo as his therizinosaurus and quetzalcoatlus apart from the acrocanthosaurus repainted. This year is not bad but neither if it is necessary to be sincere excellent as the two previous years I would be lying if I said something else and I do it with all due respect to the followers of the figures of prehistoric animals of Papo (among which I am) and the great sculptures and paleoartists that are behind these figures and who year after year delight us with surprising new figures.

I say it with all the affection of the world. I am glad for my part of having been realistic conforming myself with a single new figure by Papo (new sculpture), at best, for my fortune they were at the end two and a tyrannosaurus different from Tyrannosaurus rex, which I celebrate .

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: