News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

R @Reptilia is this what your retailer meant by surprise?

Shadowknight1

How do I get my hands on this lovely creature?!  And a nice glimpse of the Allosaurus in that video, awesome.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

mgaguilar

Quote from: Takama on January 31, 2019, 09:14:02 PM
For those who dont use Facebook

Serieusly Papo   WHY IS IT LIMITED EDITION!!!!!! >:(

OH NO OH NO OH NO IT'S THE BROWN REX ALL OVER AGAIN.
I mean, I hope it's not too limited access. And maybe it's only this color scheme that is limited edition.
I sincerely doubt that Papo would keep this killer sculpt exclusive to a limited run.

Blade-of-the-Moon

With everyone else weighing in I guess I might as well too. 

Nice detail as  expected of Papo, size is good, arms are a bit awkward posed, but it's not like it probably couldn't  put them in that position at least for a moment, which it looks to be on land defending itself, a kill, ect..so I like that bulldog aspect.   The fishy tail does bug me, I can't quite tell if the "fin" is just on top and that's something else behind in the other shelf making it look like a coelocanth tail or not.. ? If so I'll def be modding it.

I'm betting this is a Fall/Winter release item.  The only truly limited editions have been paint, this is a whole sculpt. Like the baby Spino, ect..it will probably come out somewhere early then by 2020 it will be released everywhere. Of course we all will have it by then.

dragon53

This new video mentions a "fish-like tail" at about 3:57 elapsed time.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmzpZf_A84M

Syndicate Bias

? @hao_bao

Seems like hope beat the stages of grief

ITdactyl

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2019, 05:19:16 AM
The only truly limited editions have been paint, this is a whole sculpt.

Maybe this paint scheme would be the limited version, with a plain mono-tonish one hatching soon after.

*or limited release for late 2019, and mass release for 2020?  >:D

It really is the year of spinosaurs.

Syndicate Bias

Most likely in a limited edition box with a smaller papo as they did with their baby spino and sold in 2020. There's been updates that it will be releasing this summer. I guess after I get that Carcharodontosaurus I've been wanting for a while I'll be waiting for that spino.

I just hope I can find it before its sold out. I'm kinda worried about where it will be distributed that I won't get to it in time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 01, 2019, 06:25:27 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2019, 05:19:16 AM
The only truly limited editions have been paint, this is a whole sculpt.

Maybe this paint scheme would be the limited version, with a plain mono-tonish one hatching soon after.

*or limited release for late 2019, and mass release for 2020?  >:D

It really is the year of spinosaurs.

Yes my thoughts exactly. 

I'm sure those that can afford it will get it, there are always people willing to buy and sell to make a buck.  Whether you will pay what they want that's something else. But I'm certain it will end up generally available, if not this year then next.

Shonisaurus

Does anyone know of the forum where you can buy that beauty of spinosaurus from Papo 2019? I am interested and I will pay whatever it is provided that it is not an excessive price and is reasonable for that beauty of Papo. I am in love with this semiaquatic theropod and sincerely, although the competition is very even, I place it at the same level of Schleich's genius. I even consider it better regardless of the fact that the other dinosaur companies have made praiseworthy, praiseworthy spinosaurus figures of great quality. . Sincerely the spinosaurus in its scientific version is fortunately very well represented in the toy market, in general terms.

Minmiminime

That is certainly an interesting take on Spinosaurus, a friend of mine mentioned that it looks inspired by a piece of work by Davide Bonadonna, but that tail fluke is a new one on me..! Limited edition?! I hope not, I hope it will be a general 2020 release, but it'll be interesting to see what they box it with (if anything) if it is to initially be a box set.

I have no doubt ED will get some in, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus! They seem to work with Papo to some extent so they'll be a good bet 😊 It's an incredible figure, definitely on my "want" list, too. So many Spinosaurus's...has avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji seen this??
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on February 01, 2019, 05:29:18 AM
This new video mentions a "fish-like tail" at about 3:57 elapsed time.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmzpZf_A84M

About 4:27 you can see it clearly there.  It's very off-putting. Kind of like an eel? I can't figure why they would add that when no other reconstruction has it.  I can't recall any reptiles or birds having anything similar either..maybe amphibians?  It's like if Jurassic World tried to make a new, more accurate Spinosaurus.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I have noticed, it is simply an artistic license of Papo that characterizes his figures and is characteristic of his paleoartistic philosophy. I honestly do not know anything about paleontology but it is according to the reconstructions of dinosaurs in this case of inaccurate spinosaurs. Sincerely is not going to be prevented from buying and value it with a score of 10 out of 10, although Schleich spinosaurus, Collecta or Safari is perhaps more realistic in relation to the queue for three examples.

But I'm going to be honest and I really like this theropod dinosaur and I thank the Papo brand for having made such a hyperrealistic and detailed figure that makes up for all the shortcomings of a considerable number of dinosaur figures (we only have the pentaceratops and gorgosaurus this year). But we have to recognize that they are simple toy figures and have their imperfections especially when they are not made of a noble material such as resin. I would not give importance to this detail and for me I repeat his qualification as dinosaur figure is outstanding by far.

Syndicate Bias

I don't know...even up until now no resin spino has caught my eye like PNSO, REBOR and Papo.

I think both Papo and PNSO are up there with the best spino figures. I don't know how to feel about the tail aside from the fact that it's a bold move on papo to do it like that but then again it's papo. I'm just happy they made it tbh

jean

I knew they were gonna make a short legged spinosaurus this year , then I thought I was wrong when they announced the 5 , but apparently I am right !!! Haha

Hopefully limited edition means it comes in a box perhaps with a new short legged juvenile spinosaurus

But first they might need a bigger box

Shonisaurus

Quote from: jean on February 01, 2019, 09:30:00 AM
I knew they were gonna make a short legged spinosaurus this year , then I thought I was wrong when they announced the 5 , but apparently I am right !!! Haha

Hopefully limited edition means it comes in a box perhaps with a new short legged juvenile spinosaurus

But first they might need a bigger box

So if Papo planned according to what you say, five new figures (I exclude the repainted ones) could be that they made a juvenile spinosaurus and perhaps a giganotosaurus for the Christmas of 2020? In fact it is a very popular dinosaur figure among the members of DTF (in a high percentage, among which I find myself).

They would therefore (hope never be lost) five figures of Papo 2019-2020, pentaceratops, gorgosaurus, spinosaurus limited version and juvenile spinosaurus new improved limited version? and finally ¿giganotosaurus Papo Christmas 2020? A giganotosaurus on the part of Papo with his meticulous details that would characterize them would surpass even the best brands, even with his artistic philosophy based on pop art.

All the options are on the table by Papo.

tanystropheus

Haha.

I knew people were being silly and dramatic when they said that 2019 will be Papo's worst year. It seems that every year is their worst year only to become their best year  >:D

Also, we haven't even seen that Penta in a quadruped pose (interesting world we live in which spino is quadraped and penta biped)!

Nanuqsaurus

I already wasn't sure which new Spino to get, Safari or Schleich... And now Papo has to make the decision even harder! :P
It would be a really stupid move to make it a limited edition though, I'm sure a lot of people would love to buy this sculpt.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on February 01, 2019, 10:46:56 AM
I already wasn't sure which new Spino to get, Safari or Schleich... And now Papo has to make the decision even harder! :P
It would be a really stupid move to make it a limited edition though, I'm sure a lot of people would love to buy this sculpt.

For me it would be sincerely an injustice that some could / we could buy that wonder of paleoart such as the spinosaurus of Papo 2019 and others would be excluded from the purchase as happened with the tyrannosaurus rex running brown. I think that Papo should give opportunity to all collectors as well as to all children who wish to acquire this quadruped theropod.

Even if it is not for us they should not limit the sale of figures of that incredible spinosaurus not only to collectors who of course are interested, but also to all the children and their parents who have an interest in that figure. It is a highly educative figure and no collector or child should be deprived of this right to have such a marvel of sculpture that is confused with the best figures of resin spinosaurus.

It would not be fair a Papo spinosaurus limited version at abusive prices.  >:(

Concavenator

Despite that poster saying it´s gonna be limited edition, I actually doubt it will really be so.I don´t think they would have had the sculptor work on a whole new sculpt for just being  available for a limited access.And even if it is indeed limited for some time, I think they would still bring it back at some point.The "limited edition" factor could serve as a powerful initial sales boost at the release.

That said,I don´t think I really like it nor I will be getting it.As a typical Papo model, it still has plenty inaccuracies ( the teeth are exaggerately enlarged, the head and the sail are shrink wrapped, the feet should be flat...). Also, why did they have to put an eel tail on it?  :P

It´s a lot better than their old Spino, and it´s to appreciate that they tried a relatively accurate model, but  saying that it is the best Spinosaurus available is just due to the hype of the moment.The new Safari one is probably the most accurate Spinosaurus we have,although my personal favorite is  the CollectA 2015 version.The new Schleich one is more accurate than this new Papo one as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: