News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on February 05, 2019, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: suspsy on February 05, 2019, 01:25:49 PM
Sounds like the same situation with the original Brown Running T. rex, only this time they're being completely upfront about it from the get go. Again, I wish those who desire a Spinosaurus all the luck in the world. Many will need it. :-\

Also, they might be releasing it as a LE because maybe if they released it as a "normal" release it probably wouldn't be a good seller.Whlist Papo's figures are in the same range as CollectA's , Safari's , Eofauna's  and Schleich's models ( though not the same range as Rebor, nor Sideshow) , the public they're oriented to is not the same.A person who frequently buys CollectA's and/or Safari's dinosaurs most probably are concerned by scientific accuracy,or at least, know more about dinosaurs.So if the regular Papo buyer (disclaimer; there are also exceptions) ,who is used to JP dinosaurs or monster dinosaurs (i.e. their Baryonyx and Acrocanthosaurus models ) saw this Spino he probably wouldn't recognize it, and would confuse it with another creature ( like a Dimetrodon) .And if he was a JP fan or awesomebro dinosaurs fan, he would pass on this Spino anyways.At the end of the day, who wants accurate dinosaurs buys accurate dinosaurs and who wants awesomebro dinosaurs gets awesomebro dinosaurs.

I don't remember the Acrocanthosaurus being monstrous.
I don't know if this is the case as the figure seems to have features that should appeal to both paleobros (scientific accuracy, speculative embellishments, up-to-date interpretation) and awesomebros (excellent details, gnarly teeth, large ferocious size and demeanor). Also, remember Papo's Spino was their number one seller. Granted this Spino doesn't look too familiar (but it soon will with the market being flooded with quadrupedal Spinos), even if it sells half as many copies as the JP version it would be considered a success. The LE is most likely a marketing tool to increase awareness for the Papo brand (as companies such as Rebor are taking away some of their spotlight) and it will likely be sold universally in a different color [very likely since this model is rainbow-ish (the rainbow color is an experimental placeholder for Papo)] in about a year or two (in the meantime, public acceptance of the quadrupedal interpretation will become mainstream). Regardless, I am not going to risk not getting the Papo Spino so I reserved one.

SpartanSquat

Interesting looks like PNSO one! That model was never released?

terrorchicken

Quote from: paintingdinos on February 05, 2019, 06:52:40 PM
Quote from: Ceratosaurus on February 05, 2019, 03:49:53 PM
I would be picking the Spinosaurus up whether it was limited or not with no plans to ever sell. I expect it to be limited at first and in the future to have repaints released. How could they afford not to?

I feel confident this will be the case. This very nice paint version will likely be LE and they'll sell a different version in the future with cheaper paint.

I think this too, the non- limited version will be some ugly rainbow colored thing.  :P

man that latest pic where you can see the other side of the figure sold me, its a beauty. I have no idea if Ill reserve it though. I have a long list of other easier to obtain figures I have yet to get and spinosaurus has never been my favorite dinosaur.

Ravonium

I'm not a Papo fan, but I think their decision to make the Spino limited edition is an obvious marketing ploy. With the reveals of quadrupedal Spinos from Schleich, Safari Ltd and REBOR within the past few months, I highly doubt they'd have gotten the attention of many more casual collectors (heck, they didn't get my attention until a few minutes ago!) without additonal controversy  ;)  I agree with Ceratosaurus, paintingdinos and terrorchicken that the unlimited version will have cheaper paint and/or be a repaint.

Shonisaurus

Regardless of my feelings of indignation at the limitation of figures of Papo spinosaurus I understand that it is from my sincere point of view something absurd to limit figures of dinosaurs known and widely marketable such as the spinosaurus of Papo 2019 and the tyrannosaurus running brown (currently marketable ) of Papo 2019 I understand. I sincerely understand that there should be limited figures of rare dinosaurs in the toy market because those figures obviously have few sales and massages of known dinosaurs should be commercialized in mass that suppose a sales success.

We know that no company or merchant is an ONG but honestly it seems to me a suicide on the part of Papo that does not fully commercialize this figure of spinosaurus is a prehistoric animal known both by experts in paleontology, as for collectors, fans of prehistory and the children who sincerely are many more intellectually clever than the children of my generation (among whom I include myself) and who know more about paleontology than many adults (among whom I include myself). It seems illogical to me that they do it for commercial strategy and not very profitable although the limited version of Papo 2019 spinosaurus is sold at unaffordable prices. I do not understand it sincerely.

PhilSauria

In regard to the image of the Papo and PNSO figures: I like 'em both will have then both on my shelves if I can!

My Spino 'herd/ pack / clan' (?) is gonna be looking pretty impressive if I can bag all of these. (Who needs food - I could stand to lose a kilo or two).
Already have the Collecta, Schleich, Favorite and Carnegie and I don't count the previous Papo as I see that more as a piece of movie merch than a reconstruction of an extinct animal.

Concavenator

From what I've read it looks like it will be massive.It will be longer than the Apatosaurus and taller than their RTR,although not as tall as the Brachiosaurus, the retailer said.

Minmiminime

Love the comparison Papo/PNSO shot, S @Syndicate Bias 😁 Good work!! Bracing myself for (another) big dent in the bank balance
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on February 05, 2019, 09:58:46 PM
From what I've read it looks like it will be massive.It will be longer than the Apatosaurus and taller than their RTR,although not as tall as the Brachiosaurus, the retailer said.

It looks comparable to the size of their JP Spino...I think

oscars_dinos

I went ahead and emailed Everything dinosaur and got a reply saying I was on the priority reserve list for the spino, so now is it just a waiting game? By emailing them do I for sure have one reserved for me until I pay? I've never bought nor reserved a figure from Everything dinosaur so I'm not familiar with the process.

Everyones said their opinion on the spino so I won't gush about it to much but this might be my favorite figure they've put out, hopefully this and the gorgosurus leads to a scientifically accurate t rex from papo ( which is the only way I would be cool with them producing yet ANOTHER trex )

Concavenator

avatar_tanystropheus @tanystropheus

If what the retailer said was true, then the Spino will be longer than 41cm ,which is the Apato's size.I don't have the Apato, but I have their JP Spino...it looks like it will be quite bigger than the JP one, but who knows? In the pics that are available it looks massive.

Quote from: imnewhere on February 05, 2019, 11:24:31 PM
I went ahead and emailed Everything dinosaur and got a reply saying I was on the priority reserve list for the spino, so now is it just a waiting game? By emailing them do I for sure have one reserved for me until I pay? I've never bought nor reserved a figure from Everything dinosaur so I'm not familiar with the process.

Everyones said their opinion on the spino so I won't gush about it to much but this might be my favorite figure they've put out, hopefully this and the gorgosurus leads to a scientifically accurate t rex from papo ( which is the only way I would be cool with them producing yet ANOTHER trex )

I also reserved one, but I don't know how all this reservation stuff works as it's the first time I do it.I guess you'll have to introduce the email with which you asked them to reserve one when finally buying it, but being a LE I guess that if you don't claim yours in a certain period of time they will just put it on sale until another person buys it ? ???

japfeif

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 05, 2019, 05:16:21 PM
Quote from: Takama on February 05, 2019, 04:00:13 PM
THATS it PAPO

You lost yourself a returning Collector.

Why?

I find it pretty forgiving to let people know 4 months ahead of its release. Enough time to save up for those that need it and enough warning from ED to reserve. It's not like nobody knows where to reserve them and being a free for all.

I'm not sure what the Big Deal is....lots of toy manufacturers (and car manufacturers, and guitar manufacturers, and McRib manufacturers, and...) put out Limited Editions items...and at least Papo had the decency to tell us 4 months ahead of time that it's gonna be a Limited Edition release AND how to go about reserving yours (with the Brown Running T. rex, I had no idea it was a limited release until it was already too late to get one). And why some folks are complaining that they will never get to benefit from having this great model...I'm not sure why? Just email ED and reserve one. I didn't even see this thread till about midnight last night, I emailed ED before I turned in a couple hours later, and by this morning at 10:00 am I had a confirmation email saying they had my Spino reserved and would email me when it was available. Easy peasy.

And as for them running out...I'm thinking not, at least for us here. Say they make 5000 copies (not alot by most models' numbers)....there are...what....maybe 1000 folks here? So I imagine that as long as a person were to contact them somewhat soon, the chances of them getting a Spino for themselves are pretty good. Now, if you wait 6 months or so, after they are actually ready and being distributed, and the general public gets wind of them...maybe your odds go down some. So I'd say if you want one, order now and be happy. Or if you don't want to reserve one, don't...and STILL be happy!  :)

BRONSON

Whats the best way to sell lots of something quickly, go around telling them its a limited edition, they will then panic buy lots in a very short space of time, they might of made for example 200,000 of their 1st Spino, this Ltd edition there could be 500,000 by the time the run has finished.

Reptilia

Reservation means that you have your copy secured if you want to buy it. But since you're not paying in advance you can also decide to give up purchasing it, if you prefer. They'll contact you back once they'll have the figure in stock and ask you if you want to buy it, that's how it works.

Up until now seems that everybody here were able to join that priority list, I just wonder how many copies ED will get, and therefore how many reservations will accept. Being a limited production run I don't think that ED can get many copies, maybe fifty or so? I don't know, would be helpful to have an official word from Mike.

On the size: it certainly isn't a small figure, must be on par with the Baryonyx and the older Spinosaurus, but if you look at the picture where it stands near the Allosaurus you can understand that is not properly massive. I'd call the Brachiosaurus massive, for instance.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Reptilia on February 06, 2019, 12:05:13 AM
Reservation means that you have your copy secured if you want to buy it. But since you're not paying in advance you can also decide to give up purchasing it, if you prefer. They'll contact you back once they'll have the figure in stock and ask you if you want to buy it, that's how it works.

Up until now seems that everybody here were able to join that priority list, I just wonder how many copies ED will get, and therefore how many reservations will accept. Being a limited production run I don't think that ED can get many copies, maybe fifty or so? I don't know, would be helpful to have an official word from Mike.

On the size: it certainly isn't a small figure, must be on par with the Baryonyx and the older Spinosaurus, but if you look at the picture where it stands near the Allosaurus you can understand that is not properly massive. I'd call the Brachiosaurus massive, for instance.

thanks for clearing that up mate  :) :) :) I certainly hope theres enough

Shadowknight1

Quote from: imnewhere on February 06, 2019, 04:02:52 AM
thanks for clearing that up mate  :) :) :) I certainly hope theres enough
I've never had any bad experiences with Everything Dinosaur, even though I live in the US, so I think they'd let you know if they had closed reservations.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 05, 2019, 07:54:23 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on February 05, 2019, 06:52:40 PM
Quote from: Ceratosaurus on February 05, 2019, 03:49:53 PM
I would be picking the Spinosaurus up whether it was limited or not with no plans to ever sell. I expect it to be limited at first and in the future to have repaints released. How could they afford not to?

I feel confident this will be the case. This very nice paint version will likely be LE and they'll sell a different version in the future with cheaper paint.

I think this too, the non- limited version will be some ugly rainbow colored thing.  :P

hmmm....I thought this LE version is kinda rainbow  ???

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Minmiminime on February 05, 2019, 10:22:33 PM
Love the comparison Papo/PNSO shot, S @Syndicate Bias 😁 Good work!! Bracing myself for (another) big dent in the bank balance

We all are going thru another dry season in our bank accounts 😂

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 06, 2019, 06:02:36 AM
Quote from: Minmiminime on February 05, 2019, 10:22:33 PM

We all are going thru another dry season in our bank accounts 😂

I have a feeling that even hardcore collectors are having trouble keeping up with the quality/quantity of models/figures that are coming out.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's getting VERY hard to be a completest. I actually stopped trying last year, I get one or two of my favorites and that's it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: