News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, November 02, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: ITdactyl on November 10, 2018, 06:47:26 AM
Thanks for the comparison post. They do look good side by side... A nice mated pair. Getting both, with the kaiyodo as their "kid". ;D

On a sidenote, i agree that collecta's version has legs that are too long... But... Psssshhhfffft... Hopefully they listen to feedback and improve their next batch of theropods.

I could be wrong, but I felt that the REBOR Carno was also kind of 'leggy'.

Sauropelta

After thinking about it, the CollectA Carno is superior. It's head sculpt is more obviously carno skull shaped and colors are more striking. Only things I like more about safari are the bird legs and osteoderms instead of spikes. This would be a nice compromise of both if I could improve them:

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Roselaar

Oh wow, I love that Edaphosaurus!! Long overdue, it's been ages since any company produced one of those. :)

Carnotaurus is also very appealing. Another good year fro Collecta.

Minmiminime

I wonder how many sculptors CollectA employ, and their methods? There seems to be quite a stylistic difference between their figures; things like this Carnotaurus and their Ceratosaurus and Einiosaurus for example seem finer than the Borealopelta, Iguanodon, deluxe Tyrannosaurs and Styracosaurus. Not better, just different and it's a style which I prefer! Either way they've so far revealed 3 must-haves for me 😊 That Edaphosaurus...
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Neosodon

Collecta's Carno looks more crisp, the base helps and the head proportions are better. I think I'll have to favor collecta's but they may both be worth picking up. They nailed the Edaphosaurus, paint scheme and all.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Quote from: Minmiminime on November 10, 2018, 04:36:10 PM
I wonder how many sculptors CollectA employ, and their methods? There seems to be quite a stylistic difference between their figures; things like this Carnotaurus and their Ceratosaurus and Einiosaurus for example seem finer than the Borealopelta, Iguanodon, deluxe Tyrannosaurs and Styracosaurus. Not better, just different and it's a style which I prefer! Either way they've so far revealed 3 must-haves for me 😊 That Edaphosaurus...

As far as I know all of their prehistoric figures are sculpted by Matthias Geiger, but I'm not sure how far back that is true. He seems better at some species than others.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I like the CollectA Canotaurus more than the Safari Ltd one.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Minmiminime

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Wow, one person does all of these?! That's pretty amazing!! I wonder if he sculpts some using traditional methods, and others digitally, and that's why they look so different? 🤔 I mean, the detailing on that Borealopelta is sublime, especially along the back, but the Carno is so much more fine and lifelike somehow. They've really nailed that thing!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If you know the sculptor personally, can you please thank him for all the excellent work he does?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Minmiminime on November 10, 2018, 06:51:09 PM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Wow, one person does all of these?! That's pretty amazing!! I wonder if he sculpts some using traditional methods, and others digitally, and that's why they look so different? 🤔 I mean, the detailing on that Borealopelta is sublime, especially along the back, but the Carno is so much more fine and lifelike somehow. They've really nailed that thing!

could just be the comparative size of the figures. the borealopelta looks to be inline in their standard size line, which is fairly small. whereas the carnotaurus looks like a deluxe figure, ergo it's larger size allows more finite detailing.

Minmiminime

The Einiosaurus is very tiny, but it's also very, very fine, to the extent it's one of my favourite models despite the lurid green colour...especially compared to the far larger Deluxe Styracosaurus (they both live on my bedside cabinet) which has far coarser detailing and appears to be more the style of the Borealopelta 🤔 Regardless of why they're such different styles, they're both awesome. The talent that goes into creating these things blows my mind!

Concavenator

Honestly I had lost some interest in CollectA the last two years (2017 & 2018 ),although 2016 was kinda bland as well,except for their Beishanlong.

In fact,the last CollectA model that I purchased was their Spinosaurus on November 2015.I haven't got any CollectA figure ever since,not just because in 2017 and 2018 they had bland releases in my opinion,but also because of the amazing work done by Safari.Since 2017 (the year Safari boomed and drastically improved) I have only been purchasing Safaris.

But now,after 3 years,CollectA has my interest again,and it looks like 2019 is looking similar to what in my opinion is the best lineup ever released by a dinosaur model brand,that is CollectA's 2015 one.That was one insane year.

I don't know whether or not these are the last releases (I doubt so) ,and already there have been 3 real gems revealed.I hope they fix the Caiuajara paint issue (having painted its pycnofibers blue) (this nitpick aside it's a gorgeous pterosaur sculpt).
And,as someone said before,they have really nailed the Edaphosaurus and Carnotaurus.
I am not generally interested in non-dinosaurs and I haven't been so excited for a non-dinosaur model since the Papo Dimetrodon way back in 2013.This Edaphosaurus reminds me of a marine iguana  ::)

Also I have observed that there are very fine Canotaurus models,it is a genus that is actually quite well represented in model form and has some top notch sculpts.I think the best one is Forest Roger's one for the Carnegie Collection from 2011.But I think the CollectA one at least is equal to it.And I personally prefer it to this year's Safari's.Looks more gracile,more natural.

I am hoping for a new Deuxe feathered tyrannosaur from them (that is not a Tyrannosaurus,for God's sake).Though we'll probably see an updated Baryonyx from them as it is an English dinosaur.Also,if they make another introduction in the Supreme Range any other year,it would be nice to see a Microraptor or Yi instead of another pterosaur  :P . I have observed that they release a Supreme model each two years (2015 Guidraco, 2017 Dimorphodon, 2019 Caiuajara )  ;D .If it continues this way,we can expect another one for 2021)

Renecito

There it is CollectA's Carnotaurus!!! It's not 1:40 scale for sure but who cares it's such a beauty. What is more appealing to me about this Carnotaurus and CollectA figures in general is their attention to detail in the eyes and the fact that they paint them black i personally think makes them look alive.

After this it's time for some feathered dinosaurs!!!

Ps. I didn't know Batta's Carnotaurus was 1:40 scale i will try to get it. thanks.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Halichoeres

I don't know Mr. Geiger personally, but I can certainly thank him on Facebook :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

There will be more reveals tomorrow,right?

I hope we see a dromaeosaur,I don't recall CollectA releasing one since that Velociraptor in 2010.

A Utahraptor would be cool.Though I'm really hoping for a Deluxe feathered tyrannosaur,that is not another Tyrannosaurus ,please. ::)

We'll see...

Shonisaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Totally agree with you. An upgraded feathered velociraptor Deluxe or a Tyrannosaurus Deluxe that is not tyrannosaurus rex such as daspletosaurus, gorgosaurus, zhuchengtyrannus, albertosaurus, alioramos or tarbosaurus. They are my preferences as tyrannosaurs.

On the other hand, although they are not figures that interest me very much because they are overrepresented, I suppose Collecta will soon update the triceratops, brachiosaurus (or maybe it is a giraffatitan), stegosaurus or ankylosaurus to give four examples. I have to be realistic and I think that Collecta will reedit those species of herbivorous dinosaurs.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Concavenator on November 15, 2018, 07:07:32 AM
There will be more reveals tomorrow,right?

I hope we see a dromaeosaur,I don't recall CollectA releasing one since that Velociraptor in 2010.

A Utahraptor would be cool.Though I'm really hoping for a Deluxe feathered tyrannosaur,that is not another Tyrannosaurus ,please. ::)

We'll see...

CollectA's Utahraptor was released in 2011. Not a great figure though.

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

Perhaps the ones that interest me the most are edaphosaurus, borealopelta and caiuajara because they are very obscure prehistoric animals in the toy market. For me to date they are the three most appreciated figures apart from that they are very well made.

That said, we must also admit that the Carnotaurus of Collecta 2019 is outstanding and for me it is a point in its favor its fixed base and its jaw is not articulated, although I also have to admit that in my case I like Doug Watson's carnotaurus more. since for me it is the best carnotaurus made to date but it is an appreciation and assertion of mine and has nothing to do with the thread in which we discuss figures from Collecta.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 15, 2018, 11:09:25 AM
Perhaps the ones that interest me the most are edaphosaurus, borealopelta and caiuajara because they are very obscure prehistoric animals in the toy market. For me to date they are the three most appreciated figures apart from that they are very well made.

That said, we must also admit that the Carnotaurus of Collecta 2019 is outstanding and for me it is a point in its favor its fixed base and its jaw is not articulated, although I also have to admit that in my case I like Doug Watson's carnotaurus more. since for me it is the best carnotaurus made to date but it is an appreciation and assertion of mine and has nothing to do with the thread in which we discuss figures from Collecta.
I also like the fixed base and jaw that is not articulated.
The more I look at this Carnotaurus though, the more I start to like it more than the Safari one, which doesn't happen often.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: