News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Thank you! The BYU specimen of Barosaurus has been estimated at 48 m I believe, which is sadly just in between the two, but the 1:55 version works very nicely for an average specimen!

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 12, 2024, 10:21:46 PMThank you! The BYU specimen of Barosaurus has been estimated at 48 m I believe, which is sadly just in between the two, but the 1:55 version works very nicely for an average specimen!

Hi there, sorry I just did not see your post earlier. Lana can make these to any size you want I believe because they are 3D printed. So for your approximately 48 meter long individual (assuming that this is curve length), the apparent scale would be 1:43. The model would then have a curve length of 136 cm and a horizontal length of 125 cm.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 21, 2024, 04:34:01 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 12, 2024, 10:21:46 PMThank you! The BYU specimen of Barosaurus has been estimated at 48 m I believe, which is sadly just in between the two, but the 1:55 version works very nicely for an average specimen!

Hi there, sorry I just did not see your post earlier. Lana can make these to any size you want I believe because they are 3D printed. So for your approximately 48 meter long individual (assuming that this is curve length), the apparent scale would be 1:43. The model would then have a curve length of 136 cm and a horizontal length of 125 cm.

Ooh, thanks for the info!

thomasw100

So my two large painted diplodocoids (Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus) from Lana have arrived two days ago. They look just beautiful. Maraapunisaurus is fine, but unfortunately Barosaurus suffered a transport damage. The tail piece broke off right where it connects to the remainder on the model, actually the connector between both parts has been broken through.

Now I am asking for help from the community. Does anyone know a professional that would be able to repair the model and would live not too far away from Aachen in Germany, possibly in the Netherlands or Belgium? I really do not want to ship this giant back and forth and would like to be able to deliver and pick it up in person. I would very much appreciate suggestions and, if possible, also the contact information of people who could do the repair (please PM for the latter).

Wally-217

T @thomasw100 Is it too complex a job for superglue? I assembled all mine with a short blast with a heat gun and super glue, and it's held pretty solid for a year or two. I do sometimes rub a thin strip of sculpey along the seams if it's noticeable too, which is thin enough to cure with a heat gun. I use the same process for repairing damage. Might be worth sharing a pic of the damage?

thomasw100

Quote from: Wally-217 on May 29, 2024, 02:40:04 PMT @thomasw100 Is it too complex a job for superglue? I assembled all mine with a short blast with a heat gun and super glue, and it's held pretty solid for a year or two. I do sometimes rub a thin strip of sculpey along the seams if it's noticeable too, which is thin enough to cure with a heat gun. I use the same process for repairing damage. Might be worth sharing a pic of the damage?

The honest answer is that I just do not feel comfortable with doing this myself. I tried to repair another sauropod model with broken off tail tips using superglue and the result was not great, with some glue left behind on the outside of the fracture. Remember that this model is already painted.  So it is not just enough to glue this together, but the paint needs to be touched up as well.

Turkeysaurus

I would be livid if i got broken model after paying such money for it.

Does boxes are not secure enough for shipment or workers jump on it before ring your bell?

There was a FedEx worker throwing peoples stuff on street  :)) (Dana White video)

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 30, 2024, 02:33:46 PMI would be livid if i got broken model after paying such money for it.

Does boxes are not secure enough for shipment or workers jump on it before ring your bell?

There was a FedEx worker throwing peoples stuff on street  :)) (Dana White video)

To be fair, Lana Time Shop has packed this really well and these long tails of large sauropod models are admittedly very fragile. However, even the best packing cannot always fully safeguard against transport damage. And so far Lana has been very reasonable when it comes to issues with purchases. For example, they sent me a replacement Haolonggood Alamosaurus for the one that had paint defects and I could keep the one with defects. I have seen very very different handling of issues in other cases.

ceratopsian

Some breakages are inevitable in my experience with such fragile material. No matter how well packed.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2024, 03:54:14 PMSome breakages are inevitable in my experience with such fragile material. No matter how well packed.

Unfortunately this seems to be the case, which speaks very much in favor of PVC models and against resin models of (large) sauropods. So happy that Haolonggood is making large sauropods now. I hope that PNSO will feel motivated to also try to make larger or at least medium sized ones.

From my limited experience, the quality of packing still makes a big difference. I got 4 sauropod models in 3 shipments from one company which packs very well and 1 model arrived broken. I also got 4 models in 3 shipments from a second company which does not pack so well and 3 models arrived broken.