News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 17, 2023, 07:22:32 PMFellow sauropod enjoyers, who's excited for next year's fleet of 1:35 scaled titans that are going on the market? I already pre-ordered the blue HLG Alamosaurus in advance but there's way more on the horizon from many different companies/independents.

I am indeed very excited about the four large sauropods from Haolonggood. Other than that, I have not heard too many news about other planned releases. The only thing I know is that Miniature Museum in collaboration with Dinosauria Creatures will produce a Diplodocus model in 1:35 scale. This will be their next joint release after the Europasaurus whose release will be very soon.

ceratopsian

I'm tempted by the Europasaurus, T @thomasw100.  It is something that should be available in model form.

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 17, 2023, 07:51:41 PM
Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 17, 2023, 07:22:32 PMFellow sauropod enjoyers, who's excited for next year's fleet of 1:35 scaled titans that are going on the market? I already pre-ordered the blue HLG Alamosaurus in advance but there's way more on the horizon from many different companies/independents.

I am indeed very excited about the four large sauropods from Haolonggood. Other than that, I have not heard too many news about other planned releases. The only thing I know is that Miniature Museum in collaboration with Dinosauria Creatures will produce a Diplodocus model in 1:35 scale. This will be their next joint release after the Europasaurus whose release will be very soon.

Halichoeres

If HLG's Argentinosaurus is anywhere near as good as their Alamosaurus is shaping up to be, it will be hard to turn it down.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

After Safari's Patagotitan and Malawisaurus, HG's Ampelosaurus, PNSO's Alamosaurus, and CollecA's Ruyangosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, and upcoming Dreadnaughtus, I might take a hiatus from large titanosaur figures. The differences between some of them are starting to become as subtle as PNSO's carcharodontosaurids and they take up a ton of space.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 21, 2023, 10:02:30 AMI'm tempted by the Europasaurus, T @thomasw100.  It is something that should be available in model form.

Hi there, the Europasaurus is now available from Dinosauria Creatures. They offer two poses, one standard walking pose and one rearing up one.

You find them here: https://dinosauriacreatures.com/en/collections/exclusive-replicas-of-extinct-fauna

ceratopsian

Yes, I've been looking at the two versions.  Currently undecided on which I prefer. 

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 21, 2023, 03:19:45 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 21, 2023, 10:02:30 AMI'm tempted by the Europasaurus, T @thomasw100.  It is something that should be available in model form.

Hi there, the Europasaurus is now available from Dinosauria Creatures. They offer two poses, one standard walking pose and one rearing up one.

You find them here: https://dinosauriacreatures.com/en/collections/exclusive-replicas-of-extinct-fauna

shahinos

Why are they so expensive though? Tiny models.

BlueKrono

Quote from: shahinos on December 21, 2023, 04:31:55 PMWhy are they so expensive though? Tiny models.

I've seen many of the same sculpts for sale much cheaper on Etsy and AliExpress.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

I've seen such resins too on AliExpress.  My question would be does the seller have a licence to print commercially. 

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 21, 2023, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: shahinos on December 21, 2023, 04:31:55 PMWhy are they so expensive though? Tiny models.

I've seen many of the same sculpts for sale much cheaper on Etsy and AliExpress.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 21, 2023, 05:48:04 PMI've seen such resins too on AliExpress.  My question would be does the seller have a licence to print commercially. 

This is a valid point, maybe some people just buy the 3D print files and then print and sell them. This is the same issue like with bootleg copies of popular plastic toys. Another related question is what would be the quality of the material and the resolution of the printer. Dinosauria Creatures uses high-resolution resin printing, which brings out the most intricate textural details of the sculpt, in particular in case of very fine skin textures. This Europasaurus model, according to my information, has been exclusively designed by Miniature Museum for Dinosauria Creatures. This means that only Dinosauria Creatures can legally print and sell this. I know this because I had a small role in the creation of the model, by actually requesting this species from them and providing some first source material.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 21, 2023, 05:39:10 PM

Majority of the models from aliexpress are made of a more brittle resin. I did test awhile ago with buying identical 1:20 scale velociraptor models from some aliexpress stores and them some higher priced ones from a good rep 3D print store and independents (some etsy shops, onlygames). After a month of gathering them together, comparing detail, and some stress tests. The higher priced end models always end up ontop not only in the detail but also durability and ease of repair. In the end, these 3D print are more art pieces than models imo. Having a unique creature that has never been a model(or has bad representation) and a paint job of your choice/creation? Id say it's worth it. Just one perspective though, to each their own.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Preparing resin prints isn't easy, so I imagine that's where a good chunk of the price comes from. They are also much slower to produce than pvc models. I imagine Europa in particular is also more expensive as models whose files cost more tend to cost more printed as well, and this Europa seems to be a commission which could drive up the file price for the printer.

shahinos

Right, I totally missed that it was resin, my bad!

thomasw100

Quote from: shahinos on December 21, 2023, 09:29:55 PMRight, I totally missed that it was resin, my bad!

Hi there, indeed these are top quality high-resolution resin prints. I have received three models (fully painted) from Dinosauria Creatures so far and they have an amazing quality. They have so fine textural and skin detail which then is brought out even more by the painting work of dinocommissions who works directly with Dinosauria Creatures. These models are really much finer and more detailed than even the PNSO models which I would still consider the very best when it comes to the details of the sculpt. I got one model of the Tarchia (an ankylosaur) that looks so natural that I always have the feeling this beast is watching me. I placed my first order with Dinosauria Creatures in July this year and this has been such a positive and amazing experience throughout. They are very accommodating for any special wishes that you have, I got models printed in a different size to match exactly the curve length from the Eofauna book, they printed models for me without the base, they printed them all solid because I wanted that, and they even printed models where I got the files from another paloeartist exclusively for me. The process of painting is really interactive and typically an inspiring discussion about paleontology and paleoart emerges from this. Right now I am expecting three smaller models (Kentrosaurus, Polacanthus and Sauropelta) to arrive early in the New Year and I have three more models ordered and printed which will be painted early next year as well.

ceratopsian

I've also had a couple of models from Dinosauria Creatures, which both went to Martin Garratt for painting and basing.  My experience ordering the resins was excellent and I'm delighted with the outcomes.

thomasw100

Today a long awaited package from Lana Time Shop with my custom painted Linghu studio Camarasaurus model arrived. So I thought I share with you some pictures that were taken just before the model was shipped from China.

thomasw100

Soon another beauty will arrive. This Omeisaurus is a model from Paleokhris which was painted by dinocomissions. This is a true masterpiece. The model has a curve length of 47 cm, based on the size estimate of 16.5 meters in the Eofauna sauropod book.

thomasw100

Yet another beauty to arrive. This Cetiosaurus is a model from Paleokhris which was painted by dinocomissions. I was really blown away when I saw the first pictures. The model has a curve length of 46 cm, based on the size estimate of 16.1 meters in the Eofauna sauropod book. The next project is going to be Limaysaurus, also a model from Paleokhris.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I didn't realize dinosauria printed paleokhris' work! I hve to ask, how did you manage to arrange this? I may want to try a similar thing.

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 29, 2024, 05:00:55 PMI didn't realize dinosauria printed paleokhris' work! I hve to ask, how did you manage to arrange this? I may want to try a similar thing.

Hi there, they do this as a private printing commission for me. I purchased the files from Paleokhris for private use (not commercial, these are more expensive) and got Dinosauria Creatures to print them for me and dinocomissions to paint the models. So if you want one of Paleokhris models, you can either pay him for printing and shipping them to you or pay for the files and get them printed yourself or by a print studio.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: