News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Ooh, I didn't know he sold files, how much are the files themselves versus the printed versions?

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 29, 2024, 07:32:49 PMOoh, I didn't know he sold files, how much are the files themselves versus the printed versions?

You better ask that question Paleokhris directly.

Wally-217

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 29, 2024, 07:32:49 PMOoh, I didn't know he sold files, how much are the files themselves versus the printed versions?
Can't say for all of them but the Desmatosuchus was $100 for private use when I enquired. VS $40+shipping for the model itself.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Bread

Some truly amazing pieces I've seen on instagram lately!

Dinosaur_models_artworks has built up these two impressive sauropods:

Musee Studio 1/35 Dreadnougthus

Paleokhris 1/35 Bruhatkayosaurus

I really would like to own a large sauropod in scale with my other models, but space is always an issue ::)

Esculturaselvagem over on instagram has also been working on 3D prints and paint ups.

1/35 Austroposeidon (right)
1/35 Uberabatitan (left)

1/35 Uberabatitan

1/35 Austroposeidon

1/35 Europasaurus

And yes, the Europasaurus is not a big sauropod, but I thought it would be fun to share how tiny it is compared to its larger counterparts.

thomasw100

Hi Bread, I have seen these two beautiful giant sauropods on Dinosaur Models Artworks, but not the models by Esculturaselvagem. So many great designing and painting artists these days. And one has a feeling that sauropods are much more in fashion again. Maybe because of these PVC models by Haolonggood which are very available and are very much promoted on this forum and other sites? Even a year ago large 1:35 scale sauropods were very hard to come by and essentially only available as super expensive resin models from studios in China like Linghu, MuSee etc.

Bread

I'd agree, since I see a lot more companies trying to push them out, seems like 3D printers also have an ease to produce them.

I'm now considering to purchase one of Esculturaselvagem's sauropods. I'm looking into what he can produce in terms of 3D sculpting/files. Since I kind of want a large but still smaller than most sauropods to fit on my shelf.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on February 18, 2024, 04:24:24 PMI'd agree, since I see a lot more companies trying to push them out, seems like 3D printers also have an ease to produce them.

I'm now considering to purchase one of Esculturaselvagem's sauropods. I'm looking into what he can produce in terms of 3D sculpting/files. Since I kind of want a large but still smaller than most sauropods to fit on my shelf.

Have you considered the sauropod models by Paleokhris? He has at least 9 species that I am aware of (Andesaurus delgadoi, Arackar licanantay, Atacamatitan chilensis, Bruhathkayosaurus matleyi, Dreadnoughtus schrani, Kaatedocus siberi, Limaysaurus tessonei, Cetiosaurus oxoniensis, Omeisaurus junghsiensis) and the sculpt detail is just mind blowing. I very much like the sculpt quality of the heads. You can get them printed and shipped to you. I am sure he would also send them right away to Dinosaur Models Artworks. OK this Bruhathkayosaurus matleyi is huge and the species is doubtful, but the others are well accepted and great examples of their clades.

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 18, 2024, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: Bread on February 18, 2024, 04:24:24 PMI'd agree, since I see a lot more companies trying to push them out, seems like 3D printers also have an ease to produce them.

Have you considered the sauropod models by Paleokhris? He has at least 9 species that I am aware of (Andesaurus delgadoi, Arackar licanantay, Atacamatitan chilensis, Bruhathkayosaurus matleyi, Dreadnoughtus schrani, Kaatedocus siberi, Limaysaurus tessonei, Cetiosaurus oxoniensis, Omeisaurus junghsiensis) and the sculpt detail is just mind blowing. I very much like the sculpt quality of the heads. You can get them printed and shipped to you. I am sure he would also send them right away to Dinosaur Models Artworks. OK this Bruhathkayosaurus matleyi is huge and the species is doubtful, but the others are well accepted and great examples of their clades.
Yes I have purchased from Paleokhris, a wonderful experience working with him, sent to dinosaur_models_artworks with no issues.

However, my one issue is wait time. It sounds terrible coming from me, may show I have lack of patience but really it's the issue of "wait nevermind, I'm no longer interested in this piece" the more I wait for it to be just printed.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on February 22, 2024, 06:47:49 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on February 18, 2024, 05:08:21 PM

Yes I have purchased from Paleokhris, a wonderful experience working with him, sent to dinosaur_models_artworks with no issues.

However, my one issue is wait time. It sounds terrible coming from me, may show I have lack of patience but really it's the issue of "wait nevermind, I'm no longer interested in this piece" the more I wait for it to be just printed.

Hi there, I can understand this. You may have been reading up on a species and you want to see the model of it in front of you. Then if you have to wait for months, you read other stuff and other thoughts occupy your mind. Although I have to say that I was kind of forced to be patient with some of my orders from Lana Time Ship that take a very long time from the date of order until delivered. I had ordered their huge Barosaurus model last August and now this has been completed and will be shipped early next month. My experience was that after some considerable waiting time there was a shift in my mindset to something like it will come when it comes.

thomasw100

Today Lana Time Shop sent me the first pictures of the (nearly completed) large Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus models (painted version of these very large kits).

1) Barosaurus: curve length of 106 cm, horizontal length of 97 cm

2) Maraapunisaurus: curve length of 99 cm, horizontal length of 91 cm

TooOldForDinosaurs

Incredible! :o  Can't wait for pictures of the finished models. :)

thomasw100

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 10, 2024, 04:24:35 PMIncredible! :o  Can't wait for pictures of the finished models. :)

Thanks for your nice words, I was just amazed when I saw these pictures. Cannot wait to have these beauties here. It took a long time though. I ordered all three large sauropod kits in late August last year. But the price was really OK, much lower than the price for the models in the original size. You can find these offers still on Lana Time Shop website, just look for the models in 1:55 scale. The 1:55 scale models conform to Barosaurus of 37 meters and Maraapunisaurus of 35 meters in 1:35 scale. I took these sizes from the Eofauna sauropod book and I find this still large enough.

TooOldForDinosaurs

T @thomasw100 How/ where do you display these giants? Do you have a thread with pictures of your setup? Would love to see all of your huge sauropods together.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Amazing models! I quite want to get that barosaurus model...

thomasw100

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 11, 2024, 01:27:04 PMT @thomasw100 How/ where do you display these giants? Do you have a thread with pictures of your setup? Would love to see all of your huge sauropods together.

Hi there, this is the question I am asking myself as well. The setup is still in planning. Right now the PVC models populate my office room and the resin models (only few so far) are stored in a cupboard. One setup that I plan would comprise species of the Morrison Formation and I would like to use this new huge Haolonggood base for that purpose. Onother one should focus on the species from Tendaguru. I am fascinated by Tendaguru ever since I saw that Giraffatitan skeleton in the Natural History Museum in Berlin.

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 11, 2024, 03:52:31 PMAmazing models! I quite want to get that barosaurus model...

I checked and it is actually still available from Lana Time Shop as painted version for 410 USD. You need to select the 1:55 scale option. This represents a 1:35 model of 37 meters real curve length. The original size they had was way too large.

Halichoeres

Ooh, you're going to have quite a herd. Small children could play hide and seek among these, they're so large.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I do have a little bit of a request T @thomasw100, well two. I was considering getting that guy and I was wondering 1: how long would the 1/35 one be in 1/35,cause I'm curious if it would work for the BYU specimen. And two, you wouldn't happen to be able to take a couple comparison pics with some fellow Morrison species, namely Rebor's Diplodocus and PNSO's Saurophaganax?

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 12, 2024, 04:55:17 AMI do have a little bit of a request T @thomasw100, well two. I was considering getting that guy and I was wondering 1: how long would the 1/35 one be in 1/35,cause I'm curious if it would work for the BYU specimen. And two, you wouldn't happen to be able to take a couple comparison pics with some fellow Morrison species, namely Rebor's Diplodocus and PNSO's Saurophaganax?

Hi there, I will try to answer your questions as good as I can.

About the size of the Barosaurus: Lana makes this to a default size of 167 cm curve length (i.e. length along the spine from snout to tail) and a horizontal length of 153 cm. They claim that this would be 1:35 scale. However, if we assume for the moment that the model with a curve length of 167 cm is indeed in 1:35 scale, this would then represent an individual of 58.5 meters. After reading about Barosaurus, I concluded that an individual of 58 meters is not considered reasonable by most authors, so I looked for what would be a reasonable size estimate and in the end concluded that the size estimate of 37 meters given in the Eofauna sauropod books seems quite OK. So if we accept this estimate of 37 meters, the model in 1:35 scale would then have a curve length of 106 cm. Then I calculated in what apparent scale Lana would need to make the model to get it with that curve length of 106 cm and this turned out to be about 1:55 scale. So when you order the model in 1:55 scale, this is 1:55 for an individual of 58.5 meters, but 1:35 scale for an individual of 37 meters. I hope that this is now more clear.

About the comparison photos: Unfortunately this is not possible right now. I do not have the model in hand yet, they are going to ship it next week or so. Further to that, I do not have the Rebor Diplodocus and I do not have plans to get this model. I do not like that it comes in three separate parts which creates seamlines and I actually also do not like this mechanism they use for making the neck and tail flexible. So what I can do is that when the Barosaurus has arrived, I could take a comparison photo with the PNSO Saurophaganax and maybe the Haolonggood Apatosaurus, because these two I do have.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: