News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are your top ten figures from Mattel's Jurassic 2018 toyline?

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2018, 02:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I don't know if this kind of topic is allowed here, but it has been an idea floating around in my head for a while now. I think it would be interesting to see threads like this for other brands as well but I'll settle for this for now. I just thought this would be an interesting and fun topic to do, now that nearly everything has been released for the 2018 Mattel Jurassic toyline. I'm really curious to see what everyone's favorites are, and what figures stand out the most.

My top 10 figures in my collection (okay not a true top ten since some things are pretty much tied for me, but it is hard to choose):

• Mosasaurus: I absolutely love the size of it, and how well done the rubbery skin is. The jaw and fin articulation is a plus too of course.
  • Indoraptor (Super Posable): I really love the amount of articulation this one has. Definitely feels like it took some cues from the Beasts of the Mesozoic raptors. My only issue is that the teeth could have been more film accurate like the electronic Grab and Growl.
  • Battle Damage Blue: Finally a film accurate sculpt of the Jurassic Park raptors (although the JW raptors were slightly different), with film accurate coloration. Decent articulation too, especially in the neck.
  • Spinosaurus: Who would have thought we'd get another large Spinosaurus toy after all these  years since Jurassic Park III came out? Of course it hasn't come without controversy and being hard to get for many, but good sculpt, and some nice articulation.
  • Carnotaurus: The action feature is pretty cool, although I love the sculpt, and the coloration it has too. Not much more to say here.
  • Tyrannosaurus (Extreme Chomping): I wish it was more in scale, and it didn't have such oversized feet, but very nice posing options thanks to the neck, etc. All of the rexes from this line finally sport a film accurate head sculpt. The newer Bite and Fight might have a color scheme that is a bit closer to the (original) film's design though.
  • Battle Damage Stygimoloch "Stiggy": All of the Stygimoloch figures are pretty decent, but I honestly just prefer this one the most. Hard to say why, but perhaps the sculpt and/or pose has something to do with it. Granted it was also one of the first figures I've picked up from this line.
  • All of the following Roarivores tie for me (it is so hard to just choose one or a few of these here): Ankylosaurus, Baryonyx, Ceratosaurus, Pteranodon, Sinoceratops, and Triceratops. Closeness to film accuracy in sculpt and or color scheme is why I like them. I only really prefer the action features on the herbivores, and the Pteranodon. I do really dig the sounds on the Pteranodon the most of all of these though. I do feel like the Allosaurus could have been better (mostly its teeth are weird, and the tail is too skinny), and the Metriacanthosaurus is an odd one, but I don't regret getting it, but I feel like the others just have more going for them. Also of mention, only the Baryonyx does not have standing issues for me either (of the theropods).
  • Stegosaurus/Suchomimus: These are pretty much tied for me. I really love that there is finally another Stegosaurus toy after all these years, with some articulation, and an okay action feature. Really good detailed sculpt on this one too, even if the color scheme leaves something to be desired. The Suchomimus is an interesting figure for sure, and it is nice to have alongside the Spinosaurus and Baryonyx.
  • Legacy Collection Gallimimus: I just love that after all these years we get a film accurate Gallimimus, and it is one with a feature that is a throwback to the original Kenner Gallimimus (which was the only Jurassic toy of this species for many years).
Honorable mentions: Ideally I'd like the Legacy Collection Dilophosaurus up here, but sadly that one isn't out yet. The color scheme on the promo images look good, and of course it seems to have that lovely throwback feature to Kenner's water squirting Dilophosaurus. It also seems to have an articulated jaw, much like the Destruct-A-Saur one. I'm just hoping this long wait for it pays off (if it does ever get released). The Battle Damage Pteranodon is also a worthy mention though I don't have that figure yet, but it having the size of the Legacy ones, the color scheme of the Roarivore one, and lots of articulation that no Jurassic Pteranodon figure has had since the JPIII one came out, makes it a win/must have for me. The Indominus rex skeleton is also a worthy mention due to the loads of articulation it has (aside from the size of it). I only wish the teeth were sculpted more accurately.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

tanystropheus

I agree with your commentary and observations with the exception of the Indoraptor. I don't quite like that model. It should have been made in matte as it clashes with all the other figures. Also, the teeth are aesthetically regressive. I don't understand why the Suchomimus have keener teeth than their Indoraptor.

Faelrin

Yeah I really wish the Indoraptor had more accurately sculpted teeth. At least the Grab and Growl Indoraptor is an option, in that regard, even if it is much larger (and electronic). I think the glossiness is because it was like that in the film? I'm not sure though since I haven't watched it in a while now. It does stand out a bit from the others though.

Gwangi

Without putting too much real thought into it here's what comes to mind for me.

Super Colossal T. rex (or any of them really)
Action Attack Carnotaurus
Action Attack Stegosaurus
Roarivores Ceratosaurus
Roarivores Sinoceratops
Roarivores Ankylosaurus
Attack Pack Dimorphodon
Roarivores Baryonyx
Legacy Gallimimus
Legacy Spinosaurus
Mosasaurus

Digibasherx

I was able to pick up the Suchomimus on amazon for pretty much retail (~26CAD) and wow, it looks so much better in person. It blew me away how nice it looks (in spite of the mohawk sail), and I would rank it above the Carno, which was a great figure.

MLMjp

In no particular order

-Mosasaurus
-Attack Pack Stygimoloch
-Roarivore Baryonyx
-Roarivore SinoPachyrhinosauroceratops (The unfortunately misnamed Ceratopsid)
-Action Attack Stegosaurus
-Action Attack Carnotaurus
-Action Attack Suchomimus
-Battle damage Blue
-Battle damage Indoraptor (the one in the Lockwood Battle set with Blue and the ceratopsian Skull)
-Battle damage Monolophosaurus.

I also have to mention the Thrash n'Throw T.rex, I loved it when I got it but unfortunately it was a fragile figure, which is why I eventually replaced it with more recent T.rex figures.

EmperorDinobot

The Battle Damage ones are easily my favorites. But I like them all, some better than others. Having them all is where the real challenge lay

I loved the Amargasaurus, the Parasaurolophus, Sarcosuchus, the T.rex with the Capture gear, etc.

Faelrin

FYI this thread was necroed from bot spam. Last post prior was in 2018.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.