You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Should figures be repainted if we know what colour they were?

Started by Brontozaurus, August 23, 2012, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

Since it's become possible to determine the colours of some dinosaurs, do you think that companies should update the paint schemes of dinosaur figures that are known to be certain colours?

Personally I think they should, but since it seems a lot of feathered dinosaurs were brown or black, I can understand choosing not to do repaints to make them stand out on a store shelf.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

amargasaurus cazaui

I do not think it a wise idea myself. I would suggest that if you look around today, you can see thousands of species of birds, by example. They are all different in some way that sets each species apart. However, that difference is often color, behavior or some other aspect which simply does not create a relic in the fossil process. While a dinosaur might be a certain color in one area, it might well have been entirely differently colored in another area. Ie....habbitat...desert, forest, jungle, coastal setting, each might give rise to different color variants.
   When you consider a dinosaur as widespred as triceratops, or psittacosaurus, or the entire Hardosaur family, I think it would be a monumental mistake to assume they are the same color in every area, and aspect.
  Having said that , I am all for creating replicas of dinosaurs that refer back to the actual known fossil, as its basis. In fact I wish the manufacturers would pursue that avenue rather than specific paint schemes. You see this with Sue, the equvalent of a dinosaur rock star, but few other dinosaurs are specifically reconstructed around their holotype fossil, for reference. So we get safari sue Rexes, and so forth.
  If they applied that logic they could offer your feathered dinosaurs in two colorations and likely sell them BOTH. One painted as a common offering and the other specifically aimed at recreating a factual figure that places fidelity to the fossil before sales considerations.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Nope, and I will repaint my figures entirely to my own personal preferences regardless of the scientific evidence suggesting otherwise. I don't think it would be possible to know 100% the colours of every single dino that ever existed.

Even on modern animal toys, which we know the colours of, can have bad factory paints.

CityRaptor

I think they should atleast be offered in those colors.  You known, being their colors by scientific evidence and all. Not saying that they should release them in only those colors, but atleast have the option to buy them in those colors.

I'm expecting the Carnegie Microraptor to get a repaint next year.

Although I wonder if they will use glossy paint.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ZoPteryx

I agree with CityRaptor, they should at least be offered in their known colors.  I suppose if they had to make figures in more attractive patterns (although, to me, the natural color scheme is the mot attractive! ;)) they could label them as the opposite gender or a different species in that genus.

Balaur

I think they should, if the company making them is trying to be scientifically accurate, like Carnegie. Man, I hope they repaint that bird and show off its awesome colors! :D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.