You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The P-T extinction might not have had much effect on land plants

Started by Halichoeres, February 26, 2019, 09:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Evidence for the severity of the P-T extinction on land vertebrates and marine animals of all kinds is very strong, but this paper makes the case that indications of extinction across the boundary among land plants is mostly just sampling bias (in other words, people hadn't looked at enough fossil pollen grains in the Early Triassic, which led them to assume more things had gone extinct than actually had.

This series of plots shows how many species have been found on various time intervals before and after the P-T after this study. 

Paper (I can read it but it might be institutional access; if you want a pdf you know what to do): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07945-w.epdf
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures