News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleozoo - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, March 04, 2019, 02:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

New items available in Paleozoo's shop:

Acanthostega:

Dunkleosteus:

Eryops:

Fractofusus:

Pikaia with Vauxia:

Available here, along with their other models: http://paleozoo.com.au/shop.php
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 04, 2019, 02:00:57 AM

Acanthostega:

Pikaia with Vauxia:

Do they really look like that!? They look real  :o

postsaurischian

About 4 months ago I told Bruce Curry that after Mandageria and Tiktaalik I'd love to see an Acanthostega or Ichthyostega from Paleozoo.
He answered that he was working on Eryops but expected to be working on Acanthostega early in 2019.
And here they are! I didn't expect them to be released so fast :o . Wonderful!
I have immediately ordered the Acanthostega. Nice unexpected colours :) .
The only thing that is not so good are these discs under the tetrapods' feet. But in this case I can live with it.

Chad

Thanks for the heads up. I love the Acanthostega but I already have a couple of versions of that genus so I went with the Mandageria instead. And because there is something wrong with me I had to get the Funisia and the Go-Go fish, too. I've got the Yowie Go-Go, but this one is so much more superior that I couldn't resist. If anyone is on the fence about Paleozoo, don't be, his stuff is great. And keep in mind that the exchange rate between AUD and USD is 0.70 so a figure that costs 55 AUD is only 38 dollars American. And crap, I just realized I forgot to order the Fractofuscus.

--Chad

Halichoeres

Ah, thanks avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow. This was the first time that there were enough models in Paleozoo's shop to spill onto a second page, so I didn't click through. Added to first post.

Quote from: Chad on March 04, 2019, 04:39:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I love the Acanthostega but I already have a couple of versions of that genus so I went with the Mandageria instead. And because there is something wrong with me I had to get the Funisia and the Go-Go fish, too. I've got the Yowie Go-Go, but this one is so much more superior that I couldn't resist. If anyone is on the fence about Paleozoo, don't be, his stuff is great. And keep in mind that the exchange rate between AUD and USD is 0.70 so a figure that costs 55 AUD is only 38 dollars American. And crap, I just realized I forgot to order the Fractofuscus.

--Chad

Agreed, these are gorgeous pieces and definitely worth the price. Right now I only have Tiktaalik, Mandageria, and Remigolepis, but I think in time I will succumb to the temptation of some of the others.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

Paleozoo figures worth collecting are very well finished figures. His sculpture is brutally good.

The eryops is the one I like the most.

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 04, 2019, 03:04:51 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 04, 2019, 02:00:57 AM

Acanthostega:

Pikaia with Vauxia:

Do they really look like that!? They look real  :o

I've got the tiktaalik and lobe fin, and yes, they look like that.

bmathison1972

Awe man, if that Pikaia/Vauxia duo was only smaller!

Flaffy

I wish Paleozoo did regular, smaller sized and more affordable figures.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Flaffy on March 18, 2019, 04:35:37 AM

Paleozoo figures are not pvc, not hand-painted nor mass-produced.
They are 3D printed in color (by Shapeways third-party service) and realized in relatively small quantities.
And quality is really high.
For what they are, they're not expensive at all.
An example: Sarcopterygian is a 250mm high detailed figure.
Price is 89 AUD (=55 euro / 65 USD ).
A resin figure with same size would be much more expensive.
And a pvc figure would not have the same quality.
So.....

Flaffy

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 18, 2019, 06:04:56 AM

They are 3D printed in color (by Shapeways third-party service) and realized in relatively small quantities.
So.....
But that's what I want, I would gladly sacrifice some details and quality for a cheaper, more affordable PVC figure. Maybe I should've specified "regular", meaning PVC.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Flaffy on March 18, 2019, 06:14:40 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 18, 2019, 06:04:56 AM

So.....
But that's what I want, I would gladly sacrifice some details and quality for a cheaper, more affordable PVC figure. Maybe I should've specified "regular", meaning PVC.

I still prefer high quality figures.
For pvc, cheap and mass-produced figures there are yet companies like Safari or Collecta.
They are great for that...
:)

Halichoeres

For my part, I just wish more companies paid attention to the Paleozoic. Paleozoo figures can coexist with cheaper PVC versions of the same taxa, but at the moment it is the only option for many of these.

Halichoeres

stargatedalek

Interesting gill placement, I've never seen that before.

Paleozoo

I thought that the gills were covered by the operculum - or equivalent in placoderms. (?)

If you mean the lower red flush - that could possibly be reduced a little bit in its extent but it was intended to highlight the opening of the jaw and flaring of the covering bony plates - exposing the oxygen rich membranes below.

Thanks for the observation though.

Syndicate Bias

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 09, 2019, 02:35:12 AM
Interesting gill placement, I've never seen that before.

The gills are in the same place as on any other fish, but they didn't have an operculum, they had a suborbital plate, which had a completely different articulation. That means that the visible part of the gill would have been beneath the suborbital, as this model correctly shows. I talked about this in my review of the Chap Mei Dunkleosteus, which is articulated like a teleost.

stargatedalek

You're blowing my mind here folks! I had always (apparently wrongly) assumed companies left the gill openings off of Dunkleosteus saying they were just hidden somewhere under the armor.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: