You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: CAMP CRETACEOUS?

Started by dragon53, March 21, 2019, 05:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 15, 2021, 03:53:43 PM
Blame Crichton lol  He had Muldoon call her that in the original novel. " Let's go find Rexy an give him a dose. "
Hold up.
Is it he, or her?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 15, 2021, 04:32:36 PM
Blame Crichton lol  He had Muldoon call her that in the original novel. " Let's go find Rexy an give him a dose. "
Hold up.
Is it he, or her?
The Tyrannosaurus is female, but they like to call her male because they are sexist
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 15, 2021, 06:12:34 PM
Hold up.
Is it he, or her?
The Tyrannosaurus is female, but they like to call her male because they are sexist

*rexist

(Couldn't resist)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on January 16, 2021, 11:13:05 AM
Hold up.
Is it he, or her?

*rexist

(Couldn't resist)

To be fair the name means Tyrant Lizard "King" not "Queen" so the confusion is understandable to a degree.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2021, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on January 16, 2021, 11:13:05 AM
Hold up.
Is it he, or her?

*rexist

(Couldn't resist)

To be fair the name means Tyrant Lizard "King" not "Queen" so the confusion is understandable to a degree.

They lampshade it in the novel at one point. One of the characters says "Oh yeah they're all female, but we just feel like arbitrarily calling some of them 'him' for no reason."

Stegotyranno420

I sense a bad tension, so im just gonna say sorry about bringing the thing about the T.rex's gender and switch the topic.

I honestly TRIED to watch the TRAILLER for the show. I couldnt bring my self to actually watch that show. While the dinosaurs are cool and stuff, the kids just kind of make it, well, childish(i know i am also still a child , but comeone, cant a kid not be a kid for a moment and actually socialize and relate to adults?) The only thing i think about when i think of this show is 1. One of those kids is voiced by Sean Giambrone, 2. The show does have dinosaurs but it aint my type.
Now i repsect your opinion and im glad you can find a way to like it, but it just doesnt go well according to me. Any other thoughts, folks?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm rewatching the first season Thursday, then watching the new season Friday.  Currently watching Transformers:Earthrise.  The kid force in me in quite strong lol

HD-man

3 questions/comments about the new clip:

-1) Is it just me or does something look off about how the Ceratosaurus walks? If the latter, is it just an animation error or something in story like a limp?

-2) Would Stegosaurus have been able to hear Kenji whistling? Reminds me of Dooling et al. 2007: https://acoustics.org/pressroom/httpdocs/153rd/dooling.html

-3) Not to beat a dead horse (in reference to JW's inaccuracies), but I still can't over how ridiculous it looks when the JW Stegosaurus gallops. Compare that to the charging JP2 Stegosaurus in the 2nd video (~2:00). On a related note, I didn't notice this until Klayton Fioriti pointed it out, but the JW movie Stegosaurus don't have beaks (as if the drooping tails weren't bad enough).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1EyJ-IeXd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTy3GHBoMw
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Faelrin

Well I'm finally done with watching the whole season. Gonna put my thoughts in a spoiler tag because spoilers obviously.

Spoiler

Novel nickname aside, I guess it's film canon now that the original T. rex is now called Rexy? I can't help but wonder if that will show up on any merch in the future. Also really glad to see her be a serious threat here.

So the first few episodes kind of felt like filler mostly to me, minus the beacon and rex nest stuff, and eventually the watering hole scene (which ended up setting up future plot elements). It was cool to see the Ceratosaurus on screen again after all this time like we were teased in the trailer, and with a variant (well like most of the animals in this show having palette swaps of some kind). The watering hole scene was really nice honestly. Nice to depict the carnivores (Ceratosaurus, and then Blue eventually on) as animals briefly instead of bloodthirsty killers all the time. I think this is also the first real time carnivores and herbivores have been together side by side like this in the franchise? Also now that the Ceratosaurus has another official canon appearance, I hope that will carry on into Dominion (despite us not seeing it saved per se). Finally redeemed of the poop smelling role too after so long (I guess aside from all the promo stuff with it in JWE perhaps).

Love the character development with Ben in episode 5. Easily my favorite episode of this Season. Honestly I was really curious to see what would go on with him (and adorable little Bumpy), after his fall from the monorail. The whole thing with Bumpy's routine every day was relatable on some level (what with having cats, including some that are bed hogs), and Bumpy was probably the cutest here (the squeals especially melted my heart). I was also not expecting him to be driven absolutely mad as he was, especially driving away Bumpy (only to regret it and be truly on his own for a while) to attempt taking down Toro with a spear only (until Bumpy showed up), and the proceeding fight was definitely fun to watch. I suppose it is safe to say the new Sound Strike(?) Ankylosaurus coming out later this year is meant to be adult Bumpy after all, ditto with the adult Ankylosaurus in the earlier Takara Tomy set (I can only hope for a retooled head sculpt, for the asymmetrical horns, but kind of doubting that at this point). It also reminded me of character progression in Ark (at least in my case, in solo only), running from dinosaurs earlier on, but getting some basic weapons made (such as the spear), and able to keep the smaller ones at bay (such as the compy's) and eventually able to take them on with tames (aka the Bumpy vs Toro fight). I suppose I'm not really too surprised to see Bumpy already an adult either, with how fast she grew up from a hatchling to the size she was in most of season 1. My only regret is not being able to see more of that adorable little Ankylosaurus we got earlier (short of flashbacks perhaps) in the future season(s).

Also after watching this season now too, I'm really hoping Mattel gives us figures of the rest of the cast (or at the very least Ben, to go with Bumpy). It is really disappointing they've only made Darius available so far of the 6 (and in a $40 set to boot).

Last two episodes had some really tense moments. This show keeps on delivering. Some brutal off screen kills of Mitch and Tiff in the last episode too, and Hap with the Baryonyx in episode 6. Also I was totally expecting the three of them to be poachers, so I wasn't far off for some of them. Honestly think it was darker then what went on in Season 1 with the Indominus rex. Also poor Grim. I was honestly shocked and sad to see them get killed. I didn't think we would actually see a dinosaur get killed off from a human in this show (other then Toro probably), and somewhat on-screen. If I get one figure of that trio, it's going to be poor Grim (granted was already leaning on it anyways since it was the most unique color wise, with the green and red). I wonder if we'll see more of Limbo and Chaos in the next season though (seems there will be another). I also should mention it was kind of adorable seeing the three of them sleeping together (for what would be their last time).

Lastly it was cool to see more of the island, and callbacks to the first Jurassic World film as was in the first season.

I also really want to see what E750 is too. Indoraptor prototype maybe? Good to see that plot element in S1 isn't going to waste, whatever it ends up being. Hybrid seems likely, though it will probably need killed off long before the events of Fallen Kingdom.
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dragon53

A professional baker shows how she made a cake of the T-Rex on JURASSIC WORLD: CAMP CRETACEOUS.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-8XebWDew

dragon53

Reuben03

we better see the plesiosaur pond i swear

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Faelrin

Wow that's sooner then I was expecting for a trailer and the next season release too.

Blade-of-the-Moon

season 1 i had heard was actually ordered as all episodes from season 1 and 2 so this season 3 should get us to season 4?

Subduction

I'm so surprised that the trailer for the 3rd season is out already! I didn't expect anything until late summer/early fall. But now we can figure out what E750 is sooner! Although I think Mattel or someone else accidentally revealed the name of the creature.

This show is such a conundrum for me though. Ignoring all the criticisms I have towards JW (I wanna distinguish JW from JP. I don't have too many issues with JP, especially the first 2 films.), I'm not sure why I enjoy this show. It's childish and predictable. But that's ok. I don't want any of the main characters to die, not even Kenji. The character and plot development is basic. But enjoyable. Especially with Ben in the 2nd season. Even if all the character deaths have been off-screen, they're quite brutal. And the dinosaurs. They're just so scientifically inaccurate and monstrous. But I'm a sucker for dinosaurs. So they're always a blast to see. I guess Camp Cretaceous is just one of those shows that isn't good but not the worst thing either and somethingfun to watch.

Iunno, this isn't meant to be a critique of the show or anything. I just wanted to share my thoughts since I'm pretty excited for the third season! :D

JPuggy

Can't wait for season 3 ;D
Im personally hoping for dominion hints

The Atroxious

I finally got around to watching season 2. Wasn't in a hurry to do so since season 1 was such a massive disappointment to me. Honestly though, season 2 was much better. It wasn't exactly one of the best Netflix kids' shows I've seen, but it wasn't nearly as braindead as the first season got. It's almost like the writers for this season were a completely different team than those for last season.

Spoiler
The characters aren't nearly as annoying as they were in season 1. It's rather gratifying to see Kenji not being a whiny lump all the time, and Brooklyn taking a break from the e-girl schtick. The fact that they dumped the awkward, over the top comic relief seen in the last season made this season a lot more enjoyable.

The dinosaurs still mostly act like attack robots, but I like the details here and there with the Tyrannosaurus building a nest and the dinosaurs gathering together at the watering hole. It's an improvement. Not a big improvement, but it's there.

One thing I noticed is that everyone seems to have forgotten that the Tyrannosaurus should only be able to see movement. I feel Darius should know this considering he even mentions Alan Grant's work, yet for some reason he never takes advantage of this. The whole issue with escaping the nest should have been relatively minor if he and Kenji had just frozen.

I kind of wish the antagonists had been done differently. They were fine I guess, but the bumbling adult characters in a kids' show trope, and the evil, irresponsible hunter trope are both really stale. Add that on top of a squeamishness toward hunting being a common attitude in modern times, and it just kind of feels a bit too on the nose. I'll take them over the painfully stupid adults in season 1, but still.

The pacing here was a lot better too. I really liked the scene where the kids are making use of their tree house. It was a satisfying bit of down time that lets the audience soak in the atmosphere. Season 1 really needed that sort of scene, but never included one.

The one thing that disappointed me quite a bit was the missed opportunity for the kids to form an alliance with the Baryonyx. I was really expecting the Baryonyx that Darius freed to come back and return the favor, but it never happened. It could have been an incredible heartwarming moment, and the show just dropped the ball there. I don't even know why they didn't go through with it. They practically set up the situation between showing moments of the carnivores acting peaceful to Darius expressing that he's terrified of them in his argument with Sammy. Why put in so much build up if you're not going to do anything with it later?

All that said, I'm actually excited for season 3. The foreshadowing to the E750 creature got me invested. I love me some suspense, and after doing a bit of digging on Google I have an idea of what to expect. About the only thing keeping me invested in Jurassic World is the Frankendinos, and the fact that it looks like they're going to throw in another hybrid makes me happy. Looks like they even have a couple of toys lined up, which I might have to pick up. At least the release of season 3 doesn't look too far away.
[close]

Over all, season 2 was much more along the lines of what I had hoped this show would be. Definitely not perfect, but worth watching in my opinion.

Kotori_Sonoda

Found the time to finish S2. Overall it was fun, enjoyed it more than the first.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

dragon53

Faelrin

Edit: dragon53 beat me to the punch with linking the video. The rest still stands though.

Spoiler

So the Monolophosaurus seen in the toy set with Kenji, has been finally confirmed to be coming in the show (though only a silhouette has been shown thus far).

Hence the retool of the toy's head, which I guess other then the BaBR Allosaurus, is the first time they've done such, and the first time they've had a non-canon animal they've had toys of become canon. I think its pretty cool to have this one in the franchise officially now, and this is a nice way to expand on what other creatures could have been in the park short of what FK brought to the table, and possibly Dominion as well.
[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: