News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wan Long Tang - new for 2019

Started by mgaguilar, March 23, 2019, 07:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andanna

As a Newbie to dinosaur model collecting, but owner of the Rebor Killer Queen, I think I am reluctant to further invest in bipedal PVC models.  My KQ is as lazy and tired as I am on a Friday evening after a long work week.  Not acceptable.  These models are not cheap.  And I do not want to limit myself to displaying my models in winter.   

I hence appreciate the effort to experiment with other materials to minimize the warping. 

Ceratopsianking

This Rex looks weird in my opinion, something seems off and I'd prefer Rebors or even Papos over this one. But that Spino looks sick

yankeetrex

Quote from: Andanna on June 24, 2019, 09:37:02 PM
As a Newbie to dinosaur model collecting, but owner of the Rebor Killer Queen, I think I am reluctant to further invest in bipedal PVC models.  My KQ is as lazy and tired as I am on a Friday evening after a long work week.  Not acceptable.  These models are not cheap.  And I do not want to limit myself to displaying my models in winter.   

I hence appreciate the effort to experiment with other materials to minimize the warping.

From what Ive heard, rebors figures are very soft compared to whatever thick PVC they used.  A good comparison for the spinosaurus would be the Pegasus Hobbies Dinosaur models Vinyl.  Very thick, not movable. only things like the fingers and tip of the tail could be moved and very little at that.  I'd feel much more confident in this then of rebors materials.

JohannesB

I think W-dragon is doing a very good job at creating figures that feel like they represent real live animals, or at least the animals as they appeared in certain movies, and I think the latest Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus are in the same league (by comparing the publicity photographs of course, because the Tyrannosaurus hasn't been released yet).

If we take the Tyrannosaurus figure purely as a representation of the Tyrannosaurus rex from Jurassic Park (and not a scientifically accurate model, which would create all kinds of other problems) there seem to be a few issues concerning relative sizes (which also afflict the Spinosaurus I think), mainly to do with the feet (or the legs as a whole), which are too big. Which in turn makes the head seem too small as well, maybe. And the arms are pronated and too big (but the Jurassic Park one had arms that were too big as well, if I remember correctly.). But still I like it enough to buy it. It will be my first "real" Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus rex model (if there exists such a thing outside of Stan Winston's own maquettes and models). Stating it like this is possibly the one I have always been waiting for, would maybe be a bit dramatic though ;-)

I have the feeling that this figure might be afflicted by the uncanny valley effect (when people say it looks 'weird'). More so than a Rebor "Killer Queen" or a Papo T.rex, which seem a bit more like toys compared to these W-dragon figures, IMHO. Maybe that is partly why many people prefer the latter two? I for one love this representation of "a Jurassic Park T.rex", possibly also out of nostalgia. The same kind of nostalgia that makes the Invicta Tyrannosaurus rex one of my favourite models.

For "fun" I would like to compare this model with concept sketches by Mark 'Crash' McCreery for the Tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park. The later concept sketch has somewhat shorter legs/feet. The second and fourth pictures are overlays with the W-dragon Tyrannosaurus. The head and arm sizes seem to match up correctly though.

And a crude 'shopped version by me (of the feet) of how it could (not necessarily should) have looked (although I still prefer the W-dragon over my half-baked attempt):

Andanna

Quote from: Failed archaeologist on July 08, 2019, 10:45:54 PM

I think W-dragon is doing a very good job at creating figures that feel like they represent real live animals, or at least the animals as they appeared in certain movies, and I think the latest Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus are in the same league (by comparing the publicity photographs of course, because the Tyrannosaurus hasn't been released yet).

If we take the Tyrannosaurus figure purely as a representation of the Tyrannosaurus rex from Jurassic Park (and not a scientifically accurate model, which would create all kinds of other problems) there seem to be a few issues concerning relative sizes (which also afflict the Spinosaurus I think), mainly to do with the feet, which are too big. Which in turn makes the head seem too small as well, maybe. And the arms are pronated and too big (but the Jurassic Park one had arms that were too big as well, if I remember correctly.). But still I like it enough to buy it. It will be my first "real" Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus rex model (if there exists such a thing outside of Stan Winston's own maquettes and models). Stating it like this is possibly the one I have always been waiting for, would maybe be a bit dramatic though ;-)

I have the feeling that this figure might be afflicted by the uncanny valley effect (when people say it looks 'weird'). More so than a Rebor "Killer Queen" or a Papo T.rex, which seem a bit more like toys compared to these W-dragon figures, IMHO. Maybe that is partly why many people prefer the latter two? I for one love this representation of "a Jurassic Park T.rex", possibly also out of nostalgia. The same kind of nostalgia that makes the Invicta Tyrannosaurus rex one of my favourite models.

For "fun" I would like to compare this model with concept sketches by Mark 'Crash' McCreery for the Tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park. The later concept sketch has somewhat shorter legs/feet. The second and fourth pictures are overlays with the W-dragon Tyrannosaurus. The head and arm sizes seem to match up correctly though.

And a crude 'shopped version by me (of the feet) of how it could (not necessarily should) have looked (although I still prefer the W-dragon over my half-baked attempt):

This is a great review. Agree with everything you said. I am looking forward to this model.  As a completist, I like how slow this company is in releasing product.

RobinGoodfellow

"in-hands" and "comparison" pictures (from FB / not mine) about the new W-Dragon JP Tyrannosaurus:

https://flic.kr/p/2gWXTN8

https://flic.kr/p/2gWXTVn

https://flic.kr/p/2gWX7PK

https://flic.kr/p/2gWX7SW

:)

mgaguilar

JohannesB

That looks quite nice. I am waiting for mine to arrive soon (I hope). I hope mine won't have too much of that ugly white drybrushing going on all over it, like some have. Certainly the retail figures will have a more "amateuristic" paint job, as it needs to be done fast and cheap. I think it could benefit from a professional repaint though. But as expensive as it is already, the cost would outweigh the value for me, unfortunately. But then again, who knows...

Andanna

i now have both Rexes from W-Dragon.  I perceive the second one to be better sculpted and painted than the first one.  I also think the second one is way heftier than the first one.  Both stand beautifully. 

This thread gets little love from this community, but I am very happy with the four dinosaurs I have from this company and am looking forward to the next releases.

Andanna

I apologize for the double post. I erroneously posted this under ,,2018". Time flies.

RobinGoodfellow

Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus arrived last week.
They are the best JP figures in the mid-price range.
Pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157710823620677

:)

JohannesB

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on September 13, 2019, 06:44:29 PM

Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus arrived last week.
They are the best JP figures in the mid-price range.

Having the Tyrannosaurus (and judging from the pictures and video reviews of the Spinosaurus) I would have to agree.

Foxngn

I just got my hand on the Tiger variant Allosaurus. I have to say the quality is on-par with other brand, at least that's what i thought.
The only complaint I have is the peg area is too tight. When I want to remove it,
the color of the bottom feet will be scratched.

I think the so far W-Dragon this is the only dinosaur i will be keeping.
No a fan for their Spino or Rex.

Andanna

Does anyone have any info on what is next?  I saw a teaser on FB several weeks ago, but can not find it any more.

Foxngn

Quote from: Andanna on October 01, 2019, 12:21:18 PM
Does anyone have any info on what is next?  I saw a teaser on FB several weeks ago, but can not find it any more.

you talking about this?

Andanna

Quote from: Foxngn on October 02, 2019, 04:08:04 AM

you talking about this?

For some reason, I cannot see the picture.  :(.

MoarCrossovers

I assume that this is the image you were referring to?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: MoarCrossovers on October 02, 2019, 03:01:39 PM
I assume that this is the image you were referring to?

No picture visible

Quote from: Foxngn on October 02, 2019, 04:08:04 AM

you talking about this?

No picture visible

Foxngn

I fixed the broken link, can check again.
It was on their weibo page.

Syndicate Bias

A bit dissapointing. JP dinos are overdone as it is.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: