News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wan Long Tang - new for 2019

Started by mgaguilar, March 23, 2019, 07:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgaguilar

W-Dragon

As you all know, with the global success of the Jurassic World franchise, the rise of highly-detailed and decently affordable models bridging the gap between the official lower-end/highly-accessible Mattel toy line and the Prime 1 Studio resin scenes has been a much sought after consumer market. Fairly recent producers have taken on the task and have done a phenomenal job, such as Nanmu Studios (primarily focusing on the Jurassic World series), and W-Dragon (Wan Long Tang) which is currently focused on the Jurassic Park series.

Following the highly successful Tyrannosaurus rex (Buck coloration) of 2018, W-Dragon intends to release several other figures this year:

First up,
1. SPINOSAURUS AEGYPTIACUS (Jurassic Park III)

Second, and already released:
2. ALLOSAURUS FRAGILLIS (Tiger Grain coloration)

You can get it from:

ALIEXPRESS for $64 w/o Box and $69 w/ Box
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Advance-Sale-Tiger-grain-coloring-2019-Produced-Prehistoric-Jurassic-World-Allosaurus-Model-Toy-Gift-Ornaments-1/32920936004.html

Reviews:

And last, but certainly not least:
3. TYRANNOSAURUS REX (Rexy coloration from Jurassic Park)

(Thanks S @Syndicate Bias for alerting me of the updates)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Definitely want the Spinosaurus, maybe the Rexy one two..I wasn't impressed with the details on their first green Rex though.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 24, 2019, 02:22:50 AM
Definitely want the Spinosaurus, maybe the Rexy one two..I wasn't impressed with the details on their first green Rex though.

It seems that their promotional photos (as with many others) increase the clarity and sharpness of the images in order to emphasize the skin textures, where the actual model in-hand is lacking.
I wonder why they don't just show the model as it is? It wouldn't create an expectation and then a subsequent let down. But I guess the promo photos wouldn't look as good in the first place.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: mgaguilar on March 24, 2019, 02:55:17 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 24, 2019, 02:22:50 AM

It seems that their promotional photos (as with many others) increase the clarity and sharpness of the images in order to emphasize the skin textures, where the actual model in-hand is lacking.
I wonder why they don't just show the model as it is? It wouldn't create an expectation and then a subsequent let down. But I guess the promo photos wouldn't look as good in the first place.

I'd give them a pass. It was their first and honestly they have already improved unlike papo which usually always has lesser paint quality compared to promos

Faelrin

Really nicely done (in regards to film accuracy), especially the Allosaurus and Spinosaurus from the looks of it, but out of my price range currently for sure. Still good for those that can afford them anyways, even if they aren't officially licensed.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

cooksonia

Got ALLOSAURUS FRAGILLIS yesterday. Not expensive really, all (including Nammu and PNSO) around the $60 mark

mgaguilar

Quote from: cooksonia on March 30, 2019, 10:57:59 AM
Got ALLOSAURUS FRAGILLIS yesterday. Not expensive really, all (including Nammu and PNSO) around the $60 mark

I'm a fan. Really well priced for the quality of figure.

Shonisaurus

I am quite negative when it comes to buying that magnificent allosaurus since its base foot included by what I have reported inside and outside the DTF is resin. I can not afford to buy more cabinets to store that work of art. I prefer normal shelves without glass in between and a fall for that allosaurus would be fatal in my case. In any case it is a beauty of allosaurus.

Andanna

SPINOSAURUS seems to come with a plain, but differently structured base.  I like the consistent color theme throughout the bases. 

PS:  Am I the only one who does not like seams on his models?  Decided NOT to buy Nanmu because the "Unboxing" and "Review" videos show substantial seams.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Andanna on May 10, 2019, 06:08:43 PM
SPINOSAURUS seems to come with a plain, but differently structured base.  I like the consistent color theme throughout the bases. 
PS:  Am I the only one who does not like seams on his models?  Decided NOT to buy Nanmu because the "Unboxing" and "Review" videos show substantial seams.

You're definitely not the only one. I absolutely adore this figure and will be getting it soon!

Andanna

Am I the only one who loves this?

empire3569

Quote from: Andanna on June 18, 2019, 12:24:42 PM
Am I the only one who loves this?

No, you're not. This is 110% better than the Rebor "Killer Queen". I will be picking this up to go alongside my CC Breakout Rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Spino suffered from reduced paint apps, so I'm waiting on the Nanmu one.

This Rex..is the head too small again? The arms might be too big too?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 18, 2019, 05:14:49 PM
The Spino suffered from reduced paint apps, so I'm waiting on the Nanmu one.

This Rex..is the head too small again? The arms might be too big too?

I'll add that the feet are also too big. Someone has to show this

Andanna

I did not know that people have already received theirs.  Mine is still in transit.

Vidusaurus

I can't think of anything lazier than churning out the same tired Jurassic Park knockoffs year after year, which is a shame since the sculptors behind them are evidently talented, and especially in the case of this company the Allosaurus looks brilliant.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Vidusaurus on June 24, 2019, 02:35:38 PM
I can't think of anything lazier than churning out the same tired Jurassic Park knockoffs year after year, which is a shame since the sculptors behind them are evidently talented, and especially in the case of this company the Allosaurus looks brilliant.

Nothing lazy about it, it's very difficult to replicate SWS creations. Creatively boring to some, yeah I can see that. Usually the reason companies like this produce these tried and true designs is to make some guaranteed funds. It's hard to keep making new and original because people have such different tastes. JP/JW comes with it's own advertising and built in fan base to buy the designs.  I'd say they will get back to something original after this. That will tell you what kind of company they are.

Shonisaurus

By the way, the legs of the Wan Long Tang spinosaurus are made of resin or PVC or is it only resin base? I mention it because I consulted on eBay and says that the figure is made of resin and PVC. I am more interested in the figure itself than the base, if it is resin the figure would not really interest me, although it could vary if it were only resin base.

yankeetrex

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 24, 2019, 05:41:50 PM
By the way, the legs of the Wan Long Tang spinosaurus are made of resin or PVC or is it only resin base? I mention it because I consulted on eBay and says that the figure is made of resin and PVC. I am more interested in the figure itself than the base, if it is resin the figure would not really interest me, although it could vary if it were only resin base.

Just received mine this afternoon.  The figure is PVC and the base is Resin.  I have to say that its not malleable at all, so i highly doubt there will be issues with warping. The base has a metal rod that goes up into the foot.  So it has that added help. I know people are complaining about the lower paint on the production pieces, but what can you expect for 100 dollars on a 1/35th scale dinosaur? Looks on par with first run papo paintjobs to me. It is bigger then the papo spino as well I believe just from the look of it.

Shonisaurus

Y @yankeetrex Thanks for your answer. I will take note of that spinosaurus.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: