You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The first lambeosaurine hadrosaur discovered in Alaska

Started by Logo7, April 14, 2019, 03:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A skull fragment discovered in the Liscomb Bonebed of Alaska in 2014 has now been determined to be the first evidence of a lambeosaurine hadrosaur in Alaska. This is the furthest north that a lambeosaurine has ever been found, beating out the previous record of southern Alberta. The massive number of hadrosaurines in the bonebed, including Edmontosaurus, compared to the number of lambeosaurines also suggests that both varieties of hadrosaurs had different habitat preferences. The fossil also suggests a possible link between the lambeosaurines found in North America and those in Asia. Here is a reconstruction of the lambeosaurine as well as an image of the fossil used to describe it and a link to the paper describing these specimens.

Paper (open access!): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-41325-8

Halichoeres

I admire their restraint in not giving it a genus and species.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Logo7

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 15, 2019, 07:36:15 PM
I admire their restraint in not giving it a genus and species.
Given the fact that lambeosaurines of many different species were extremely common in Cretaceous North America, I'm not surprised that the scientists would wait for more material before specifying exactly what genus it is.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.