News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Krentz Kickstarter for New Regina Mundi 1/18 scale T.rex sculpture

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, July 12, 2019, 06:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Atroxious

This is a really nice idea, but why do artists still, even after talking about how they've moved past shrink-wrapping, make the pubic boot protrude under the abdominal muscles? It's certainly better than 99.9% of Tyrannosaurus depictions out there, but this is such a pet peeve of mine. Abdominal muscles don't attach inside the pelvis. They connect at the ventral part of the pubis. There are no living animals that have a bony protrusion behind the abdominals, so why do dinosaurs, especially theropods, get this treatment?

Forgive my nerd rage, but everything else about this sculpt looks so nice that the one issue I see with it is glaringly obvious. I can forgive a particularly protuberant pubis on some less realistic figures, but when everything else is so meticulously done, this is hard to ignore.

paleoave

The Atroxious

I meant ventral, meaning toward the underside of the animal. I know what distal means.

Tell me, which paleontologists specifically should I ask about this? And why would the mount be intentionally constructed inaccurately? If anything, this sounds like a disagreement amongst paleontologists rather than a settled matter.

Quote from: paleoaveThe abdominal muscles overlaid the gastralia, but the exact posterior point of the abdominal muscles is not exactly definitive.

Quote from: paleoaveAlso, there are no living animals with a "bony protuberance" behind the abdominals because there are literally no other bipedal animals to compare theropod physiology to other than ratite birds, which lack a anteriorly facing pubis. Comparison is impossible without an extant descendant with the same muscular-skeletal set-up, which again, does not exist.

Your argument seems to be coming awfully close to "we don't actually know where the abdominals connected, so this is as good as any interpretation". At that point, you're not arguing anatomy, you're arguing artistic choice. The fact remains, though, that no extant animal has a protruding pubic bone, not even humans, for whom, as you put it, "there are literally no other bipedal animals to compare (...) physiology to". Artistic choice is not fact, it's personal preference. You could argue in favor of any sort of shrink-wrapping with the same reasoning, such as protruding neck bones in Apatosaurus or sunken fenestrae.

I'm curious, is there evidence of attachment scars inside the pelvis? Is there any definitive reason to believe the idea that the pubic boot protruded as depicted here, over the idea that it was obscured by muscle?

postsaurischian

The pledging time is over and the model is going into production now.

I haven't bought a large Tyrannosaurus model since I got me David's Sideshow model 10 years ago, because I have always thought that none of the others looked as good as that one does. Well, I think this has changed. I was pretty shocked when I first saw the first post of this thread, learning that the model was already sold out. I hadn't heard anything about the project before. Good luck that lately David decided to offer a few more. I pledged for the last one in stock. Phew! I want the best Tyrannosaurus available in my collection, which is now Regina mundi (in my opinion). I can't wait to see her meeting her Sideshow counterpart.

It's wonderful to see David returning to Dinosaur designing after all those Marvel years. The success of the project enables him to buy himself a 3D printer so he can make more kits! In his latest backer update David asks in the last sentence: "Now..did someone say Triceratops?". I guess we all know what this means ;) .

RobinGoodfellow

Did you pledge for the last one? Really?
I did a pledge for the one before yours.
I missed the original campaign too and I was really happy when Mr. Krenzt added 20 more kits to Kickstarters.
I suppose that our "Regina Mundi" will meet each other at Martin Garratt's shop soon..  ;)

postsaurischian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 10, 2019, 08:56:16 AM
Did you pledge for the last one? Really?
I did a pledge for the one before yours.

Yes, it was the very last one. I had already given up and was hoping for Dan's Dinosaurs (who lists it) in the future. Then I read the post in your collection thread.
  I thought "Damn! Sold out again", but went back to Kickstarter with desperate courage to see only one being left. Hoping that I'd be fast enough, my fingers were
  shaking while typing in my data.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 10, 2019, 08:56:16 AM
I suppose that our "Regina Mundi" will meet each other at Martin Garratt's shop soon..  ;)

Yeah, they probably will ;D .

Seeing that the majority of supporters comes from China gives me mixed feelings. Don't get me wrong, this is not against the Chinese in common - some DTF members may know that I deeply adore the latest Chinese figures and models. But having seen different bootlegs of Sideshow's statue offered by different dubious Chinese sellers, I'm afraid we'll also see Regina mundi like this in the near future. I'm just glad, David seems to have earned the money he needed to go on.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 10, 2019, 10:07:02 AM
Seeing that the majority of supporters comes from China gives me mixed feelings. Don't get me wrong, this is not against the Chinese in common - some DTF members may know that I deeply adore the latest Chinese figures and models. But having seen different bootlegs of Sideshow's statue offered by different dubious Chinese sellers, I'm afraid we'll also see Regina mundi like this in the near future.

..I read that Shane Foulkes decided to stop selling his models to China because of the illegal bootleggers/recasters.. :-\
It's sad because there are a lot of serious chinese collectors ..  :(

RobinGoodfellow

Last message from David Krentz on Kickstarters:

"  I can't begin to thank you enough for your help in making my Regina Mundi project a success!  Being an artist I could just live with pats on the head and statements of validation but the money is nice too.  I have all the funds needed to pay for multiple resin molds, a bronze mold, 120 castings with shipping and buy myself a 3D printer so I can make more kits! 

This sculpt was a hard one for me because I've been immersed in making Marvel super hero movies for so many years now. Getting back into Zbrush and adopting to the new look of T.rex was often a challenge.  There were times where I wanted to turn into that artist in every movie who feels like he's a has-been-failure and trashes his creation, only to see inspiration in the mess and feverishly works all night as his genius rises from the ashes.  But I stuck it out, presented it to the world and hoped for the best.  This campaign WAS the best I could have hoped for.  I personally thank all of you for that. 

Do not worry about address information at this point. You will receive a survey from me requesting all the needed information.  There you can add any other information you need to. 

Edward Holt is now dreaming/having nightmares about resin T.rexes and will go full swing into production soon.  I said that they should all be delivered by November and we are hoping that can happen.  I will send them in the order that people pledged just to be fair.  I had mentioned in some Facebook posts that the last additional 20 castings will go out a little later.  For those of you who bought bronzes, a big thanks to you.  That means I too can get a bronze!  Molds for those will begin as soon as I can, but you all know that metal work takes time and I'm hoping the February delivery will happen.

So, once again I THANK YOU...

Now..did someone say Triceratops?  "

;)  :))

postsaurischian

Now it's nearly June and nothing, absolutely nothing has happened. No model, no information.
I don't know what's going on with David Krentz, but the way he's handling this is very bad.
All I know is that he has shipped the first models to China (where someone will surely copy it) and that he underestimated the international shipping costs.
He asked the pledgers then for voluntary donation to cover the costs, which I gladly did.
Since then no thanks, no info, just a weird looking video I could not open. Just waiting months and months. That sucks.
Does anybody know what's his plan?

RobinGoodfellow

I did not receive my kit too.
Last month Mr. Krentz sent a message (on Facebook) saying that he was still receiving more Regina Mundi kits from his source and he would send items asap.
From what I understood, they were few new kits.
I think he also underestimated time to have all kits from his recaster.
And I suppose that the whole Covid thing does not help at all.
But he should release some comunication about that.
I'm not so happy too ..  >:(

Blade-of-the-Moon

He posted this about overseas shipping :

Delayed shipping overseas.

David KrentzCreator
March 4, 2020
  Well, looks like world events have caught up with me as well.  I see many of my packages are being held up when being shipped to China and other Asian countries and I'm very worried they will be lost in transit or damaged.  Neither situation is good for anyone.  I keep checking the tracking numbers and nothing seems to be moving!  For the time being I think I need to send the Regina Mundi kits to backers outside of those areas. 

If my assumption is wrong and suddenly the packages to all of my Asian customers show up please let me know!  I will then feel confident enough to send more.  So, in the meantime I'll be fulfilling orders to those of you not in that part of the world.

Its hard to ignore what is happening with Covid-19 and I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Everyone please take care of yourselves!  Your health is more important than my stupid dinosaur statue!  Lets all hope the spread of this thing is contained soon.   I'm so sorry to you who have waited patiently. 

D

His last update was in regard to missing or broken teeth in the model and where to (hopefully) locate them in the packing material.

I sent David a fb message about where best you can reach him.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Talked to David, here is his reply :

QuoteI sent some out recently, I think the italy and Germany.

I'm going to PM with his email.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 31, 2020, 05:51:29 AM
Talked to David, here is his reply :

QuoteI sent some out recently, I think the italy and Germany.

That would be cool, of course ;D .

RobinGoodfellow

Update from David Krentz on Kickstarter

Hey everyone!  Quick update.  I only have 35 more kits to ship!!! Thank you all for being so patient with me!  The end is near!  Boxes will be off the floor of my garage and the sound of packing tape will be a thing of the past until my next kit!  The foundry is open again and I am starting bronze production. Nothing makes me more excited than seeing my work in heavy metal.  I'll send you pictures of that in process because its really cool to see a bronze being made and it also shows you how labor intensive it is- and why bronzes are so expensive!  I have some other rewards to get through too but those should be fun to do.

Seeing all the painted Regina Mundis has been a real treat.  You are all very creative and talented.  Thank you!

There are a few of you who have not sent your mailing addresses yet.  I've sent a few emails through Kickstarter and your given email addresses.  If you have not revieved your kit yet please make sure you have done that!

Now I just need to get back to that Triceratops and put my 3D printer back to work. 

David Krentz
"

RobinGoodfellow

I received a message from Mr. Krentz.
On July 23 he had at least 20 more kits to be shipped for the last 20 guys who bought them (and I'm one of them..).
So probably on August all last kits will be on their way..  ^-^

RobinGoodfellow

Last message from Mr. Krentz:

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you for being so patient with me.  Producing and shipping these kits has taken much longer than I hoped.  Kickstarter warns people to be judicious with the time it will take to fill your rewards and to not underestimate shipping costs.  I read that when I first started this venture and boy were they right on both counts! 

Regardless...I only have 10-12 more kits to ship and I'm done!!!!  Then I'm going to get onto some of the smaller rewards and update you all on the biggest rewards like the bronzes, which are in production.

*There are about four people who have not sent their address or my requests for more information.  I have sent multiple emails and messages through Kickstarter throughout the last few months.  IF YOU HAVE NOT RECIEVED A KIT FROM ME PLEASE CHECK YOUR MESSAGES!  If I do not hear back soon I will most likely refund you. 

I'm starting to see some amazing paint jobs online.  If you have a chance please send me images!  I'm collecting them all and would like to post them! 

Once again, thanks for all your support!

David Krentz

:)

RobinGoodfellow

Last news from David Krentz:

"  I have sent out all the Regina Mundi sculpts !! 

Well, all except for about 4 people who have not sent me their addresses.  If you have not received your sculpt check your inboxes on Kickstarter or what ever email address you provided me and respond.  I want you to get what you paid for!  These poor little rexes need a good home.

Also, I promised you pictures of the bronzes being produced...so here you go.  Its nothing sexy, but its how the process starts.  These pics show the molds being made from a resin cast.  Inside these big white shells are flexible rubber molds.  Hot wax will be poured into the molds, left to dry and then pried out and then be sent off to be meticulously cleaned.  I'll send pictures of the waxes soon and that will be more interesting than a big white lump.  Promise. "

MLMjp

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: MLMjp on August 18, 2020, 10:48:18 AM
Mmmmmm... that Tyrannosaurus seems familiar... ???

David Krentz' kits are sold unpainted (like every resin kit).
Buyers are free to paint their models as they prefer.
The painted ones are taken from the web.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: