You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Sahara Desert, 50+ million years ago

Started by Halichoeres, July 15, 2019, 11:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Well, it wasn't a desert, but a shallow sea, for most of the interval spanning the end-Cretaceous, the Paleocene, and the Eocene. This paper reviews the things that lived in the Malian Sahara during that time, which included some real giants, like the 9-meter sea snake Palaeophis.

Here's a nice tableau by Carl Buell, commissioned for the occasion:

Pictured:
a stem-group elephant
Acleistochelys (the turtle)
Cretalamna (also sometimes spelled Cretolamna, the shark)
Lavocatodus (the lungfish)
Maliamia (the bowfin)
Myliobatis (the ray)
Palaeophis (the sea snake)
Pycnodus (the colorful fishes)
Rhabdognathus (the crocodile)

Open access at Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History: http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/6950

And a blog post teasing the findings: https://www.amnh.org/explore/news-blogs/research-posts/sea-snakes-catfish-sahara
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

That's crazy. And looking at the faunal list, it's even more diverse! So much fish!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on July 16, 2019, 01:58:27 AM
That's crazy. And looking at the faunal list, it's even more diverse! So much fish!

Oh yeah, it's huge.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.