You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A new terrestrial crocodile from the Cretaceous of Texas

Started by Logo7, July 19, 2019, 01:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new genus of terrestrial crocodile has been described from Early Cretaceous (Aptian) age remains from the Proctor Lake dinosaur locality in the Twin Mountains Formation of Texas, the same formation that produced the remains of the new hypsilophodontid genus Convolosaurus marri earlier this year. The new genus has been given the name Tarsomordeo winkleri ("Winkler's ankle biter") with the genus name originating from the Latin words "tarseo," meaning "ankle," and "mordeo," meaning "biter," in reference to its small size, and the species name originating from Dr. Dale Winkler, a paleontologist who has greatly contributed to the studies of paleontology and geology in Texas. The limb morphology of this new genus suggests that it had a terrestrial lifestyle, possibly allowing it to fill the ecological niche of an active predator of small dinosaurs and other small prey. The paper suggests that this new genus is the first example of a Cretaceous terrestrial crocodile to be discovered in North America, suggesting that there was an ecological shift back to the land during this period, likely due to environmental factors. Here is a reconstruction of the new genus attacking a Convolosaurus by paleoartist Pamela Riddle and a link to the paper describing it.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02724634.2019.1623226?journalCode=ujvp20&

Halichoeres

Tarsomordeo has a nice ring, I like it. Thanks for posting!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Great discovery, I really like terrestrial crocodiles, I wish they had better representation in toy form.

Neosodon

Terrestrial crocodiles would be cool but terrifying to see. Are there any crocodiles that have a more terrestrial life style around today?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Logo7

Quote from: Neosodon on July 19, 2019, 06:56:50 PM
Terrestrial crocodiles would be cool but terrifying to see. Are there any crocodiles that have a more terrestrial life style around today?
The closest we have in the modern day are freshwater crocodiles, which enter the water by galloping in a similar manner to that of a terrestrial crocodile.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.