News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Visual Guide to Scale Model Dinosaurs

Started by tyrantqueen, September 08, 2012, 10:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

If it won't be released in physical form then the CD-route would seem an old fashioned and inconvenient way to get the content on people's computer screens. Surely it would be simpler to put the content directly online, where there's essentially no space limit, and where you maximise readership by opening it up to the entire globe, and make the content searchable (from outside) and downloadable (burn your own CD if you like, print your own book ;)). If money is an issue or some sort of driving force (they wouldn't make much with a book or CD anyway), then put the content behind a paywall so only subscribers have access, or, put some ads on the site to cover any hosting costs. Just an idea.

The author should join the forum, it would be great to hear his point of view directly :D

martin garratt

I must agree with David Krentz; the author is an ok guy and I think he must be given a fair chance by everyone.
He has put together an excellent,  informative and invaluable book for dinosaur model kit collectors.

There are absolutely loads of photographs, a question and answer section with the likes of David Krentz, Shane Foulkes, and other well known artists, there is a complete list of dinosaur sculptors and what they have sculpted to date, etc., etc., 

It is in 'softcover' book form.
I received my copy before Christmas, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a book that I keep going back to look at time and time again. 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: martin garratt on January 09, 2013, 10:49:29 AM
I must agree with David Krentz; the author is an ok guy and I think he must be given a fair chance by everyone.
He has put together an excellent,  informative and invaluable book for dinosaur model kit collectors.

There are absolutely loads of photographs, a question and answer section with the likes of David Krentz, Shane Foulkes, and other well known artists, there is a complete list of dinosaur sculptors and what they have sculpted to date, etc., etc., 

It is in 'softcover' book form.
I received my copy before Christmas, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a book that I keep going back to look at time and time again.

Ah, so there is a hard copy. May I ask, where did you get it from?

mmfrankford

I may rethink this, sounds interesting. But where to purchase it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on January 09, 2013, 07:40:20 AM
Quote from: krentz on January 09, 2013, 06:42:13 AM
I do know the author and  he does have a great collection.  But he is not the snob everyone seems to be making him out to be.  This book has over 3000 pics in it.  No joke.  It documents the entire history of dinosaur replicas, and if he does pine for anything its the glory days of "the garage kit" when many artist, myself included, had a chance to make the toys we always wanted and offered them to a small group of like minded people that found them prior to the days of the internet.   In the 90's McFarlane toys pretty much killed that industry.  Very few people these days want to built a kit.  From some toy makers I talked to back in the 90's Safari also had some seriously aggressive tactics to keep other mass produced dinosaur toys...like Battat...from succeeding.  He has first hand knowledge about toy companies as well.   
Personally, I'm always impressed by his extreme knowledge of dinosaur toys every time I talk to him.  Seriously, give him a chance.

D

Thank you David! I agree, I don't think this guy is as bad as everyone here is making him out to be. A lot of very serious and very knowledgeable collectors are not very well known with the newer and/or more mainstream collectors (I think most dino collectors here on the forum, myself included, fall into this category). I would trust the expertise of anyone whom Sean, Mike, and Martin chose to endorse, and especially considering that Robert is involved with the Dinosauriana project. I talked to Mike before the "book" was released and have been very excited to get my hands on it, because I have a lot of respect for everyone involved.  What Mike told me was that the book was only going to be released in CD form, because they could not find a publisher that would include all the pictures they wanted (or something to that effect). Maybe something has changed since then.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the book ( just wasn't sure if it was real yet or not ) or the guy really..just how he goes about his work on his other sites.  I figured sites talking about paleo documentaries and art would focus on more facts not this fellow's personal opinions about each documentary or artist he tackles. He seems to me at least, to go out of his way to point out flaws and criticize.  Not something I admire to be honest unless he's stating he's a reviewer and it's his opinion.  That said the book does look awesome and I will buy one if it's an actual book as Martin has said. You don't necessarily have to like someone personally to buy their product.  Heck, I loathe walmart but shop there all the time.. lol

martin garratt

If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of this book they can email:
[email protected]

Blade-of-the-Moon

I sent an email to him to order a copy yesterday, seemed cool at first, then he asked if I was Blade-of-the-Moon...to which I replied that I was. Haven't heard from him since. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 10, 2013, 04:24:15 PM
I sent an email to him to order a copy yesterday, seemed cool at first, then he asked if I was Blade-of-the-Moon...to which I replied that I was. Haven't heard from him since.
Wow, that's petty :( Your honesty was commendable.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 10, 2013, 04:39:55 PM

See, honesty gets you nowhere  >:D unless it's what people wanted to hear anyway... :-\

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on January 10, 2013, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 10, 2013, 04:39:55 PM

See, honesty gets you nowhere  >:D unless it's what people wanted to hear anyway... :-\

Eh beats me, if he doesn't want my money no harm done really. I think Mark Twain said : " Be honest and you will be lonely . "  heh ..of course he also said " Always tell the truth, it will surprise some and astound others " ..I certainly like doing that.. ;) ;D 

mmfrankford

Sorry to hear that. Hmm..so he's checking out this forum? Probably means I'm off the list also for my earlier comment. Hey, honesty is a good thing.  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: mmfrankford on January 11, 2013, 01:37:14 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hmm..so he's checking out this forum? Probably means I'm off the list also for my earlier comment. Hey, honesty is a good thing.  ;)

Too true.  Guess I'm not so lonely over here after all.. :)

CityRaptor

Guess I won't get the book either then. ^-^ But Honesty is important, and his claims really made himself come off as a snob, even if he is a nice guy in real life.

Sorry if we offended him.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

I've been probably been "blacklisted" too ::)

But hey, such pettiness can only hurt him in the end. Less sales for his book and all that.

mmfrankford

DinoToyForum

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cirex

I find the whole thing about this book a bit weird, it's like this guy doesn't really want to sell it...
I've tried to contact him myself to get a copy using the address given by Martin Garatt and got the following message in return: "Your mail could not be delivered because the recipient is only
   accepting mail from specific email addresses.".
Well, it's his loss at the end of the day...

tyrantqueen

Maybe he has blocked the whole forum...LOL.

Himmapaan

How strange. If his non-response is indeed indicative of what he has read here, I wonder why he didn't take the opportunity to explain himself to Chris? He might have demonstrated how much more agreeable he actually is in real life. As it is, the present action seems only to confirm what was suspected of him.  :-\

And having opined as much, I'm sure I'm probably now on the blacklist too.  O:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: