You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The first dapediiform fish from Hungary, and an overview of the group

Started by Halichoeres, September 16, 2019, 10:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A new specimen of the Mesozoic stem-gar Dapedium is described, the first member of its order found in Hungary. It's from the Lower Jurassic, and is therefore one of the latest surviving members of the genus, as well. This paper also includes an overview of the diversity and time ranges of dapediiform fishes, including some very strange ones that only have scales on the front half of the body.

Open access in Palaeobiodiversity and Palaeoenvironments: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12549-019-00390-7
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 17, 2019, 02:38:27 AM
Weird, stem-gars look like serrasalmids!

Some of 'em kinda do! Except with crazy gar scales instead of nice sleek tetra scales.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.