News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2020, 11:27:04 PMI think the coloration basically just drives home how crocodile-like Spino is.  If it were me and I wanted to stand out in the market, I would retire this one next year and have Doug take the same model and just add feathers to it.  I know it's not proven but it would look neat and be different from all the other croco-spinos out there.
For sure! A grebe spino is at least as plausible as a crocodilian spino. And while there is no evidence that Spinosaurus had feathers, there is a genetic precedent for that potentiality, whereas that is not the case for crocodilian scutes.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
The Edmontosaurus is basically what we've wanted for years from the Carnegie line , at least since those SUE minis were made. Granted it's more accurate than the one then ( but I still like it ;) ) .  The Deinonychus  is again I think what everyone has been asking for. No screeching attack pose, just basically a bird walking around checking things out.  Cant get much more natural.  I love scars and damage, I know most want pristine/prime of life figures, but the damage tells a story and gives you something to show and tell.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on January 02, 2020, 11:16:49 PM
Thanks for the pics, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon! Can you share any pics of them with other models, so I can get a better sense of size? 
Also, I only just now noticed that the Spinosaurus and Sarcosuchus have similar color schemes! That's kinda cool; one could imagine a "backstory" for these figures, maybe one of the Kem Kem selecting for convergent color schemes in animals associated with riparian environments?  ;D

What other models?  I have a lot but I know everyone's collections vary

Definitely agree. The Edmontosaurus and the Deinonychus are the standouts in an entire lineup of must-haves this year!

Well, since you're taking requests... I have a near perfect muscle memory for the size and weight of the Safari Feathered T. rex and the Vagaceratops, so comparisons with those two will probably help me most.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 03, 2020, 12:19:10 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2020, 11:27:04 PMI think the coloration basically just drives home how crocodile-like Spino is.  If it were me and I wanted to stand out in the market, I would retire this one next year and have Doug take the same model and just add feathers to it.  I know it's not proven but it would look neat and be different from all the other croco-spinos out there.
For sure! A grebe spino is at least as plausible as a crocodilian spino. And while there is no evidence that Spinosaurus had feathers, there is a genetic precedent for that potentiality, whereas that is not the case for crocodilian scutes.

Ooh, I've always been skeptical of feathered spinosaurs, but the grege idea intrigues me...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Might be something to submit on that questionnaire they had?  I t might even be something that could move forward faster since it doesnt require a complete resculpt?

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on January 03, 2020, 12:34:56 AM
The Edmontosaurus is basically what we've wanted for years from the Carnegie line , at least since those SUE minis were made. Granted it's more accurate than the one then ( but I still like it ;) ) .  The Deinonychus  is again I think what everyone has been asking for. No screeching attack pose, just basically a bird walking around checking things out.  Cant get much more natural.  I love scars and damage, I know most want pristine/prime of life figures, but the damage tells a story and gives you something to show and tell.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on January 02, 2020, 11:16:49 PM
Thanks for the pics, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon! Can you share any pics of them with other models, so I can get a better sense of size? 
Also, I only just now noticed that the Spinosaurus and Sarcosuchus have similar color schemes! That's kinda cool; one could imagine a "backstory" for these figures, maybe one of the Kem Kem selecting for convergent color schemes in animals associated with riparian environments?  ;D

What other models?  I have a lot but I know everyone's collections vary

Definitely agree. The Edmontosaurus and the Deinonychus are the standouts in an entire lineup of must-haves this year!

Well, since you're taking requests... I have a near perfect muscle memory for the size and weight of the Safari Feathered T. rex and the Vagaceratops, so comparisons with those two will probably help me most.

I think the Rex looks good with the Edmonto I'll grab you a pic of that and the Deino with the Vaga.

suspsy

Geez, the Spinosaurus and the Sarcosuchus really do have the exact same colour scheme. Has anyone tried comparing them to the Kaprosuchus?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2020, 04:35:30 AM
Geez, the Spinosaurus and the Sarcosuchus really do have the exact same colour scheme. Has anyone tried comparing them to the Kaprosuchus?

Just eyeballing it the Kapro and Sarco have the same color pallet except for the Kapro having a lighter underbelly. The Spinosaurus is very similar but it doesn't have the dark brown along the back as much as either crocodillian.

Concavenator

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon congratulations for your awesome new batch! And thanks for your pics too!

Would you be able to post some comparison pics of the Deinonychus with the 2017 Safari Velociraptor, the 2015 Carnegie Velociraptor or the Carnegie Beipiaosaurus, please?  :)

Duna

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon congratulations for your fantastic adquisitions!
I really like all of them, and sarcosuchus and edmontosaurus are BIG! So nice ... Please, I'm so excited about the itchyosaurus, it looks like it has also an interesting size, could you take a pic next to the Safari Velociraptor? Or better to a marine reptile as Safari elasmosaurus, Collecta liopleurodon or mosasaurus? I will display it with them. Thanks a lot. ;)

Dinoxels

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I will say the Edmontosaurus looks better than expected. Deino looks better, but a lot bigger then I would have thought.
Can you put the Deino next to the Einiosaurus? That's where I'm gonna put it next to on my shelf.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Doug Watson

I would retire this one next year and have Doug take the same model and just add feathers to it.

Oh God please no!

Geez, the Spinosaurus and the Sarcosuchus really do have the exact same colour scheme.

Geez, your definition of exact sure isn't the same as mine, when it comes to pattern or colour.

For sure! A grebe spino is at least as plausible as a crocodilian spino.

I would think a Merganser would be a better model especially with that "toothy" bill.  :D

MLMjp

They all look really nice!
Shame I won't be getting them in a while, too much stuff on my list right now...

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 01:36:40 PM

Geez, the Spinosaurus and the Sarcosuchus really do have the exact same colour scheme.

Geez, your definition of exact sure isn't the same as mine, when it comes to pattern or colour.

Just calling it like I saw it in this photo, as I admittedly don't own either toy myself. If not the exact same, then they're pretty darned similar at least. They look like they're on the same sports team or cheerleading squad.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on January 03, 2020, 09:15:16 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon congratulations for your awesome new batch! And thanks for your pics too!

Would you be able to post some comparison pics of the Deinonychus with the 2017 Safari Velociraptor, the 2015 Carnegie Velociraptor or the Carnegie Beipiaosaurus, please?  :)

Quote from: Duna on January 03, 2020, 10:13:49 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon congratulations for your fantastic adquisitions!
I really like all of them, and sarcosuchus and edmontosaurus are BIG! So nice ... Please, I'm so excited about the itchyosaurus, it looks like it has also an interesting size, could you take a pic next to the Safari Velociraptor? Or better to a marine reptile as Safari elasmosaurus, Collecta liopleurodon or mosasaurus? I will display it with them. Thanks a lot. ;)
Quote from: Dinoxels on January 03, 2020, 10:20:43 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I will say the Edmontosaurus looks better than expected. Deino looks better, but a lot bigger then I would have thought.
Can you put the Deino next to the Einiosaurus? That's where I'm gonna put it next to on my shelf.

Let me see tonight. I have to take pics, host them to facebook then get on my desktop and post them here.  Takes me a few.

I would retire this one next year and have Doug take the same model and just add feathers to it.

Oh God please no!

For sure! A grebe spino is at least as plausible as a crocodilian spino.

I would think a Merganser would be a better model especially with that "toothy" bill.  :D

lol I think it would def sell more and be a standout among all these other companies now..but yeah a bit of work. Sorry.

I always thought of loons for some reason.

Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2020, 01:56:51 PM
Shame I won't be getting them in a while, too much stuff on my list right now...

Keep an eye on Safari for deals, after all the discounts and gift card I received these couldnt be more than 50.00 for all of them.

MLMjp

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 03, 2020, 02:08:07 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2020, 01:56:51 PM
Keep an eye on Safari for deals, after all the discounts and gift card I received these couldnt be more than 50.00 for all of them.
Sorry man, but I'm not from the States and SafariĀ“s website does not ship to my country, I have to rely on other stores like Everything dinosaur.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2020, 02:02:50 PM

Just calling it like I saw it in this photo, as I admittedly don't own either toy myself. If not the exact same, then they're pretty darned similar at least. They look like they're on the same sports team or cheerleading squad.

Now if you used "similar" I wouldn't have responded, to me "exact" means if I take the Spinosaurus, mark it off in thirds paint the front and back sections white then give you the colours I mixed for the Sarcosuchus and Kaprosuchus and told you to paint the front and back "exactly" like the Sarco and Kapro respectively with no blending or deviation from the patterns then it should look like a fluid finished piece but it wouldn't. They are all based on different browns and beige colours. Even the base browns aren't the same, burnt umber is different from raw umber which is different from burnt sienna and is different from raw sienna. If you saw the original paints the difference would be even more striking. I try to be as exact in what I say as I am in my sculpting. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 03, 2020, 02:08:07 PM

Oh God please no!

lol I think it would def sell more and be a standout among all these other companies now..but yeah a bit of work. Sorry.

Actually my reasons for not wanting to add feathers are not because of the extra work but lets just leave it at that.  :)

Edit: P.S. Safari Ltd actually tells me the Spinosaurus is a good seller.

Duna

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 03:35:10 PM
Hi Doug, which is your best seller? Maybe the T-rex?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Duna on January 03, 2020, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 03:35:10 PM
Hi Doug, which is your best seller? Maybe the T-rex?

I have never actually asked them that question, I know they have said the Feathered T rex is another big seller for them but actually my biggest seller in sheer numbers might be one of my non-prehistoric animals that is still in production since I started in 2003. The same would probably hold true for my prehistoric pieces. One of the ones that is still in production since I began doing them in 2010 would probably hold that distinction in terms of total units sold, I really don't know.  :)

Dinoxels

I wonder if the "controversy" of sorts that surrounded this figure in late 2018 persisted in it being bought more. I believe the new Pachycepahlosaurus is also selling well, as it is labeled as a "best seller".
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Concavenator

I'm gladly surprised of how the new Safari figures have turned out! The promo images were not the most flattering to say the least. But hey, all of them have turned out quite nicely.

Looking forward to more pics of these, especially of the Deinonychus   :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: