News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonRider02

I still haven't received my new Safari dinos I ordered on 13.01 from ED... All my packages from them always arrived in one week since sending, sometimes even ealier, but not this one! I am starting to worry... Anyone else had problem with their order from ED taking longer than usual to arrive? Or should I contact ED about it?

Duna

Quote from: DragonRider02 on January 28, 2020, 03:18:35 PM
I still haven't received my new Safari dinos I ordered on 13.01 from ED... All my packages from them always arrived in one week since sending, sometimes even ealier, but not this one! I am starting to worry... Anyone else had problem with their order from ED taking longer than usual to arrive? Or should I contact ED about it?
Have you asked for a tracked package? If not, I advise you should for the next time; I did not know about that and ordered standard royal mail, and due to the "fantastic" service of my Correos post office, I haven't received my package sent on December 5th ... With ED no problem, they took care about everything.

Quote from: TaranUlas on January 28, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
BUT the feet are sculpted badly on mine. One foot is lower than the other and the claw on the right foot's middle toe is completely... screwed up as in "Pointed straight up in the air" screwed up. As a result, the Concavenator is completely unable to stand alone and will require a support of some kind (I'm going to probably wind up putting it up like the Kelenken in my collection with figures right by it to hold it up.) Would have been good except for that last bit, which somewhat ruins the figure to me (I like all of my figures to stand easily by either base or on their feet. Using other figures or clay to stabilize them is not what I like.)
My velociraptor came like that, very warped, and I fixed it very easily with hot water. Just heat water very hot, near boiling temperature, put the foot for some seconds (you take it out and touch if it's soft), fix it as you want: hold it to a flat surface and wait a bit for it to harden again. I suggest you to do so and enjoy the figure as nice as it should be.

DragonRider02

Quote from: Duna on January 28, 2020, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: DragonRider02 on January 28, 2020, 03:18:35 PM
Have you asked for a tracked package? If not, I advise you should for the next time; I did not know about that and ordered standard royal mail, and due to the "fantastic" service of my Correos post office, I haven't received my package sent on December 5th ... With ED no problem, they took care about everything.
I always choose the cheapest shipping option, so no tracking. I never had any problems with that, until now... If I wont get my package till Friday, I'll contact ED...

Duna

Quote from: DragonRider02 on January 28, 2020, 04:35:20 PM
I always choose the cheapest shipping option, so no tracking. I never had any problems with that, until now... If I wont get my package till Friday, I'll contact ED...
Due to my last experience, I'll never do that again (if I were ED I won't even offer this service, maybe for a postcard or a letter ... you understand what I mean). If I had ordered a tracked service, I would have known that my package had arrived at my office and would have collected before they returned it after the expired collection date (the postman gave me the paper one day after it had been already returned, 18 days after its arrival). I'll have been waiting for two months for the time it finally arrives (a new package has been sent today by tracked service).

Duna

I have received my Safari purchases from this year (along with the Collecta iguanodon). I won't get the rest because I don't collect those species (with the exception of the concavenator, which is a figure of my wish-list but I decided not to get this).

I'll explain my opinion about the figures in my collection post, but all I want to say is that this is a magnific year for Safari and I would like to congratulate Doug Watson for the fantastic sculpting.
The Deinonychus is for me the Figure of this Year, it's a total beauty and stands above the others, and it's huge!!

Shonisaurus

For me the deinonychus, edmontosaurus, pachycephalosaurus and sarcosuchus are of the best figures and to a lesser extent the ichthyosaurus, shringasaurus and concavenator being the weakest figure of the group from my personal point of view the dilophosaurus.

The qianzhousaurus of Safari is also a very cool figure especially for me that I love members of the tyrannosaurus rex family that are not that legendary theropod.

Congratulations Duna.

Sim

Quote from: TaranUlas on January 28, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
[...]
I'll take pictures of all 2020 figures together after work today and post it up here. After all, might as well show off how they all look here for anyone still curious about them.

avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas, I'd be interested in seeing the Concavenator as I don't have it and am considering getting it.

tanystropheus

The Icthyosaurus is being overlooked mostly because Carnegie released a similar one a few years ago, but it is, nevertheless, a stunning model.

SidB

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 31, 2020, 06:28:27 PM
The Icthyosaurus is being overlooked mostly because Carnegie released a similar one a few years ago, but it is, nevertheless, a stunning model.
I think that's the reason for the "neglect; it's certainly the case in my instance. Nevertheless, you're right - it's beautiful. I'll likely get it as a companion piece for the Carnegie, and to compare and contrast the two.

Concavenator

Didn't think I would say this but... I prefer the new Safari Icthyosaurus over Carnegie's version. Aside from the fact that Dr. Admin helped Doug Watson to make the figure is as accurate as it can be, it looks simpler, yet still very elegant and beautiful.

I personally don't think Safari's new Carnotaurus or Concavenator are any better than their Carnegie counterparts, but I think this Icthyosaurus is one of the newer Safari figures that actually is an improvement over the Carnegie versions.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 31, 2020, 11:50:45 PM

Didn't think I would say this but... I prefer the new Safari Icthyosaurus over Carnegie's version. Aside from the fact that Dr. Admin helped Doug Watson to make the figure is as accurate as it can be, it looks simpler, yet still very elegant and beautiful.

I personally don't think Safari's new Carnotaurus or Concavenator are any better than their Carnegie counterparts, but I think this Icthyosaurus is one of the newer Safari figures that actually is an improvement over the Carnegie versions.

Safari ichthyosaurus is very beautiful in genius comparable to figures like Invicta. On the other hand, Carnegie ichthyosaurus does not think it is superior to Safari but what happens is that it has an outstanding artistic ensemble such as eating an ammonite and it is well made, it is neither superior nor inferior to that. I do believe that the ichthyosaurus of Safari and Carnegie are at the same level of genius each in their own way.

SidB

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I like how you've put that - they should make a good pairing.

The Prehistoric Traveler

I received the Safari deinonychus, sarcosuchus and ichtyosaurus today. Great figures, all three of them. The one i liked the least of the three (even had doubt about buying it) was the ichthyosaurus. On arrival it has become my favorite. It is beautiful and very underrated.  Pics don't do it justice.

On another note: I was able to buy the rare Carnegie woolly mammoth from a small webshop this week! I'm very happy with that figure!

Shonisaurus

avatar_The Prehistoric Traveler @The Prehistoric Traveler True is what you say, about Safari ichthyosaurus, promotional photos and videos of different types do not do it justice. It is one thing to see it in videos or in photographs and another is to see it physically. It is one of the best figures of Safari 2020 whose releases have been generally brilliant and perhaps the two weak figures of the group are the concavenator and the dilophosaurus, otherwise the other figures of Safari 2020 are impeccable.

Concavenator

Not sure if I should post this on the controversial opinions thread, but I really like the new Safari Dilophosaurus. In fact, it's one of my favorites from this year's Safari's lineup. It's a small, elegant theropod with an interesting stance and a coloration that, while being natural, still looks kind of flashy and nice. What else is not to love about it?  :))

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on February 02, 2020, 10:42:50 AM
Not sure if I should post this on the controversial opinions thread, but I really like the new Safari Dilophosaurus. In fact, it's one of my favorites from this year's Safari's lineup. It's a small, elegant theropod with an interesting stance and a coloration that, while being natural, still looks kind of flashy and nice. What else is not to love about it?  :))

My opinion of the dilophosaurus could have been more positive in my case if the size had been a little larger, at least that it was as bulky as its partner of Carnegie dilophosaurus already unfortunately discontinued.

I would have liked a more voluminous dilophosaurus and to be more honest, in my case I repeat again would improve my rating towards that curious Jurassic theropod.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 02, 2020, 10:54:58 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on February 02, 2020, 10:42:50 AM

My opinion of the dilophosaurus could have been more positive in my case if the size had been a little larger, at least that it was as bulky as its partner of Carnegie dilophosaurus already unfortunately discontinued.

I would have liked a more voluminous dilophosaurus and to be more honest, in my case I repeat again would improve my rating towards that curious Jurassic theropod.
Safari has a certain propensity to periodically produce very high quality, but smaller versions of well known animals, such as their Deinocheirus and Parasaurolophus, for example. I'd have liked them to have been made in a larger scale to go with the 1/35 or even 1/40 figures (the "standard" size), but it is what it is and I bought them anyways, though they are more difficult to accommodate into displays (though not impossible).

postsaurischian

Quote from: Concavenator on January 31, 2020, 11:50:45 PM

I totally agree. In addition to that I prefer figures without prey in their mouth and when you have a look from above, Safari's version has enough
space in its belly to fill with all the stuff that belongs there while the Carnegie figure seems a bit flat. But in the end I like (and keep) them both.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 02, 2020, 10:54:58 AM

I like it when a particular series is trying to keep their figures in scale to each other, so I like that the Wild Safari line is offering as many 1:35 figures as possible
(it seems to be their major scale) as they did with their Dilophosaurus, which I think is beautiful - a huge upgrade after the Carnegie figures - I don't think
Dilophosaurus was bulky.

GojiraGuy1954

Safari spoiled the Concavenator with that new paintjob, but the green on the Qianzhousaurus was a nice touch.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

DragonRider02

I contacted ED about my missing package with Safari dinos, it turns out they messed up shipping address!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: