You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gargantuavis pelvis found in Romania

Started by Halichoeres, October 23, 2019, 05:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A nicely preserved pelvis from the Hațeg formation in Romania is the first found outside of the Iberian region, the latter of which was likely an island at the time. The authors suggest that the pelvis belongs to Gargantuavis, but also note similarities to Elopteryx and Balaur, all of which might belong to a weird clade of not-quite-birds (probably within Ornithothoraces but unlikely to be in Ornithuromorpha).

Paper (paywall, but I have a pdf for the curious): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667119302289

The pelvis compared to that of a tropic bird (not to scale; scale bars are 50 mm in both cases):
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures