News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Killekor on December 12, 2019, 09:42:47 AM
Thanks for the information Daspletosaurus! Here's the photos:

The long awaited GIGANOTOSAURUS! S @Syndicate Bias I think that you'll be happy to see it!

Killekor

😭 Whyyyyyyy ooooh whyyyyyy 😭😭😭 Curse you Papo!

I had confirmation from a distributor since late November that the Giganotosaurus would be happening in 2020 but I'm honestly bummed about it, it turned out to be exactly what I didn't want from Papo 😞

I'll buy it anyways but I guess now I have a reason to buy that 200 dollar Mo Models Giganotosaurus resin kit 😑

The chilesaurus is a must have for me though, I hope the Stygimoloch gets more in hand pics for me to decide. Might actually get the Para now as well. I was told we would get 4 new figures and two repaints so I guess a limited edition one is coming up. Honestly at this point my whole interest in Papo has diminished.

Renecito

I really like that Megaloceros.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

Quote from: Renecito on December 12, 2019, 02:23:05 PM
I really like that Megaloceros.

Okay, now that one has me excited!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Alright! A Pleistocene mammal - the Megaloceros. A must buy for me.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I was a bit disappointed seeing Papo's dinosaur offerings (Papo really is doing weird things with its poses), but that Megaloceros has me very excited now! I'll definitely be picking it up when it's available.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

bmathison1972

I will get the Megaloceros. If I pursue dinos for my Synoptic Collection, I won't get Papo's 'dinosaurs' (sensu classico) - they all look like movie monsters to me :). They have incredible detail and good paint jobs; they just don't appeal to me. But this Megaloceros is quite appealing! And I love extinct mammals!!!

MLMjp

Ok, never expected a Chilesaurus from Papo.
Surprisingly the Stygimoloch does not resemble the one from JW that much.

You guys wanna know how to ruin the most wanted/anticipated/desired dinosaur that people have been requesting for ages? By giving it an awful rearing pose, of course!
Seriously Papo! You just butchered what could have been one of your best figures cause the sculpt is amazing and the skull is based on modern reconstructions! But you just ruined everything with that pose!

Duna

After Eofauna revealed their giganotosaurus, I no longer wanted a giga from Papo, because the one from Eofauna is perfect in all ways and I knew (quite surely) that Papo would do its giga in a roaring tripod forced pose, and I was totally right. So has it been.  I'm very fine with Papo's tripod T-Rex, it's a totally innacurate master piece in detail and sculpture, but I don't need more figures like that. This giga is just the same: fantastic detailed (no one does this as Papo) but that rearing pose ... again?  ::) ::) I've mounted some 3D printed skeletons, one of T-Rex which I have it now in front of my eyes, and I'm suffering by seen that Papo giga, it really hurts my spine!  :( When you see how the vertebrae articulate and the hip bones, you understand perfectly why they can't flex their tails like that.

My opinion:
- Papo giganotosaurus: Judging by Papo style, fantastic. Looks huge. Won't get it because the former reasons.
- Papo stygi: Looks really nice, I thought it was more like JP style, but arms look better and head "horns" are longer. Normal Papo color. Won't get it because I only get one dino per "group", so 2020 Safari pachycephalosaurus is perfect for this.
- Papo chilesaurus: I didn't know this, superb colors!! But why, PAPO, why that pose? It's a bipedal dinosaur or at least looks more confortable on two legs.
- Papo repainted parasaurolophus: Absolutely fantastic repaint! I did't buy the old version because it was too inacurate for my collection (I only buy one), so I won't get this either. If I collected Papo I would, it's really nice.
- Papo repainted velociraptor: Same, fantastic, love that "eagle" look. Much better than the green patches of the old version which I have. I'm thinking about getting this new, it would be better to go along the Safari raptor than the other.

Shonisaurus

This megaloceros of Papo 2020 will make a very good match with the megalocerates of Bullyland with the only difference that this new version, perhaps because it is more recent it gives a thousand turns to that iconic and beautiful prehistoric mammal of the Ice Age, on the other hand they market that spinosaurus "limited version" that honestly does not seem like much limited version and I hope to receive it between tomorrow and Monday from one of the two urzeitshop stores (in this case together with the atlasaurus and deinotherium) or everythingdinosaur. I wish to receive that beauty.

The megaloceros finally an ungulate with horns made by the Papo brand! What I see that Papo focuses on figures of mammals and recent prehistoric animals of the Pleistocene / Holocene (examples cave bear, woolly rhinoceros, woolly mammoth, smilodon, dodo) and now the megaloceros. I hope that one day they will make a moa or maybe even a paraceratherium prices (I know I am a dreamer and repetitive) but I love that gigantic prehistoric mammal one of the largest land mammals that has ever existed on earth although not the largest.

My greatest wish (for asking that it not be left) that the new megaloceros of Papo 2020 be of a considerable size.

Duna

Sorry but I had to do this. This was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that pose. The neck doesn't even look comfortable!

By the way, megaloceros is fantastic! Please, we need more prehistoric mammals.

Flaffy

Why does Papo seem adamant about giving their figures disgusting, distorted, painfully forced poses.
And what's with the midget tail on the Giganotosaurus and Chilesaurus. It's like anatomy went out the window this year.

dragon53

Maybe the Papo Giganotosaurus is attacking a helicopter and its crew. :))

Patrx

The Chilesaurus is, as many have said, unexpected! But, it looks to be resting on a pronated hand, so I'll probably skip that one. Besides, depending on exactly where Chilesaurus should be from a taxonomic standpoint, there should probably be some fuzz on it.

The Stygimoloch actually looks okay from this angle! Might be worth a closer look once it's available.

Shonisaurus

I suppose the Papo 2020 giganotosaurus was made a tripod to avoid the clown feet or big feet as it would be logical they would have to hold such an immense dinosaur, the pose may not be good but did we not even want Papo giganotosaurus? Papo has fulfilled the wishes of many members of the forum among whom I find myself, although I sincerely like the figure very well, it is very well sculpted above all the head among other details, I have also recognized in my first post that the position was somewhat Humanized, somewhat forced and reminded me of the Schleich tyrannosaurus that I think was from 1996 or 1997 but sincerely with the difference that the sculpture of this giganotosaurus is more detailed and better sculpted. Perhaps if they had made giganotosaurus in another dynamic but more realistic version I would have had acceptance among those of us who are members of DTF, for my part it has my full acceptance sincerely I am satisfied with the current version and although I understand that the negative criticisms of That fabulous Argentine theropod, in my case I am very happy with this new figure of giganotosaurus and we must take into account the creative philosophy of Collecta and his freedom or rather his artistic license.

We also have to keep in mind that Papo dinosaurs like the rest of prehistoric animals of all brands of PVC or vinyl will always have failures. If I made money or was a multimillionaire, I would honestly not focus on these figures but on high-quality dinosaur figures intended for adults as is my case or I would buy figures like a merchant I know is a bronze triceratops that sincerely moved me. We have to take into account that the PVC and vinyl figures among which Papo is for our misfortune as collectors who are adults are destined more for boys / girls in their vast majority than collectors. In my case I repeat I am very happy with this giganotosaurus figure although I understand the complaints of many of the fans and collectors like me to the toy dinosaur figures about this giganotosaurus, perhaps with a more realistic pose I would have gained more followers to that figure.

The positive is that Papo has finally made a giganotosaurus after our supplications and even complaints and we should be grateful to Papo's company and brand for having heard our comments.

LeapingLaelaps

I've been waiting SO long for someone to make a decent Megaloceros figure and it looks like Papo has finally answered my prayers! ;D

Ivántirrophus

I've waited for years a giganotosaurus from papo. i thought it would be better or equal than Pnso's,  but it is worse than Eofauna's.   :-\ :(  I pass

Faelrin

So I'm a bit late to seeing these after having just woken up.

I think the repaints are very nice but I had nothing against the originals either, except some of their sculpt details.

The Megaloceros is the figure I am most interested in. Beautiful and at a brief glance it looks decent. I've been wanting one for years now, and there were not many options prior. Even if Safari Ltd and/CollectA make a figure of this, this is certainly a must have for me. Edit: I really do think this is the best one out of Papo's 2020 reveals so far, with a better look at it.

The Chilesaurus is interesting and it is nice to see them do a relatively recently discovered animal. The pose however is disappointing, but well...

At least it isn't the Giganotosaurus. After waiting years on end for this to come out I couldn't be more disappointed, especially because of that awkward retro tripod pose. What is it with Papo and their odd poses as of late? Ugh. At least now it has been revealed I can stop worrying about it and just get the Eofauna one already. Edit: Further more for how similar it is to the Cryolophosaurus in pose, I think that one pulled it off much better then this one.

The Stygimoloch seems Jurassic World inspired, except for the coloration. Though there is that other detailed Jurassic World like Stygimoloch model out there if folks absolutely need it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dragon53

I'm probably skipping the Papo Giganotosaurus, so who makes the best Giganotosaurus?

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Kapitaenosavrvs

Hm, interesting. Yes, i am a bit shocked aswell about the Giganoto Pose. But at the Moment, we have quite a lot of Giganotosaurus to pick from. To me, it does not look like a Retro Tripod Pose. I see this one i some kind of battlepose with another huge Animal. He backs up or is about to attack.
Yes, the Tail. But again, this is just ONE Photo. The Tailangle is a bit harsh, but i will reform its tail and feet a bit, if i think it should be made. Also I'm sure that the Tail is not dwarfed. Its mostly the angle of the Picture and the Pose.

But hell. The overall sculpt of the head looks really, really good. Fits with all other recent Giganotos from other brands. We know Papo, it will be a good an big Figure.
To me, it would look great with other Giganotos in more idle or walking poses.

I was shocked at first, but I'll see how the actual Fugure will look like and how "bad" it will be in real life. To me, these awkward Papo Poses are something fresh. At the end, you decide what you buy.

The other Figures look fantastic aswell. I really like the Para Repaint. The Chilesaurus is nothing i really need to have, to be honest.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: