News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indohyus

Glad that one company has done a prehistoric mammal. Has it been taken for review? That Megaloceros is beautiful

hao_bao

Woof! What happened to Papo? My quadrupedal spino looks like dogshit too.

Still no gallimimus and that giga is all kinds of wrong. I despair.

hao_bao

Quote from: Loon on December 16, 2019, 12:58:20 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 16, 2019, 12:41:48 AM
Eofauna and collecta seem over hyped to me.

That's objectively wrong, but ok.

Well I agree CollectA is overhyped. I personally think they look like bath toys. But Eofauna looks pretty good?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: hao_bao on December 16, 2019, 10:14:29 PM
Quote from: Loon on December 16, 2019, 12:58:20 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 16, 2019, 12:41:48 AM
Eofauna and collecta seem over hyped to me.

That's objectively wrong, but ok.

Well I agree CollectA is overhyped. I personally think they look like bath toys. But Eofauna looks pretty good?
Agree. Only a handful of collectAs stand out, usually only the sculpts

terrorchicken

Collecta has good sculpts but they are often ruined by the awful cartoon-like paint work.

Shonisaurus

Papo's dinosaur and other prehistoric animals figures are made of more flexible material, resistant to abrasions and with a very soft texture.

Collecta prehistoric animals and dinosaurs figures their material being rigid tends to be broken by a fall, is much less resistant to abrasions and its texture is quite rough.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 16, 2019, 11:02:39 PM
Collecta has good sculpts but they are often ruined by the awful cartoon-like paint work.
But most sculpts are outright ugly, especially their older pieces

Loon

I don't think anyone's arguing that older CollectA figures look good.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on December 17, 2019, 12:28:30 AM
I and some of their newer figures like this one are innacurateley designed and very cartoonish

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 17, 2019, 12:41:58 AM
I and some of their newer figures like this one are innacurateley designed and very cartoonish
Nothing really cartoonish, though I doubt our definitions of the word are the same. Also, nothing's particularly inaccurate, the feathers are speculative, not inaccurate.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on December 17, 2019, 12:47:07 AM
Nothing really cartoonish, though I doubt our definitions of the word are the same. Also, nothing's particularly inaccurate, the feathers are speculative, not inaccurate.
The skull is inaccurate, and the feathers, if there was any, should be all over the rex as in the safari featherd rex

Takama

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 17, 2019, 12:51:19 AM
The skull is inaccurate, and the feathers, if there was any, should be all over the rex as in the safari featherd rex

You mean like there ORIGINAL version?

http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/07/13/tyrannosaurus-rex-feathered-deluxe-by-collecta/

and not the UPDATED Version your showing that reflects the current consesnses?

Loon

The skull's a little bulbous, I'll give you that. I'm not gonna get into a feathered Tyrannosaurus discussion, I'm sure there has been at least 10 on the forum today. But, until direct evidence of feather placement on Tyrannosaurus, if it had feathers, is found, this is just as reasonable a reconstruction as the Safari.

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2019, 12:55:53 AM

http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/07/13/tyrannosaurus-rex-feathered-deluxe-by-collecta/

I don't find the original to be too bad, honestly.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on December 17, 2019, 12:56:14 AM

The skull's a little bulbous, I'll give you that. I'm not gonna get into a feathered Tyrannosaurus discussion, I'm sure there has been at least 10 on the forum today. But, until direct evidence of feather placement on Tyrannosaurus, if it had feathers, is found, this is just as reasonable a reconstruction as the Safari.

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2019, 12:55:53 AM

I don't find the original to be too bad, honestly.

Yeah the really big one and the hunting one are the best

Syndicate Bias

I see we have opened that particular can of worms   :))

Maybe Papo will do a feathered Rex for limited edition

tanystropheus

That dino screams euthanasia.

And here is the aftermath:

http://dinotoyblog.com/2016/03/12/tyrannosaurus-corpse-collecta/

SidB

Interesting. If CollectA at times appears stylized in such a fashion that it appears "cartoonish', remember that cartoons have an effective power to communicate the essence of the subject through their very stylization. This is a trait that makes them attractive to many people. The same can be said with Papo due to their dramatic poses. Some would decry the cartoonish aspect of the former, others the overly dramatic (at times) of the latter, Even Schleich has its own distinctively subjective approach to designing dinosaurs, an approach that sometimes attracts, sometimes repels. I think that it's so very difficult to capture, objectively, the total package of attributes and characteristics of animals that we have never seen and never will, in the flesh. But we will continue to try and no doubt will continue to scrutinize those who explore and test the boundaries of the real.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SidB on December 17, 2019, 02:45:13 PM
Interesting. If CollectA at times appears stylized in such a fashion that it appears "cartoonish', remember that cartoons have an effective power to communicate the essence of the subject through their very stylization. This is a trait that makes them attractive to many people. The same can be said with Papo due to their dramatic poses. Some would decry the cartoonish aspect of the former, others the overly dramatic (at times) of the latter, Even Schleich has its own distinctively subjective approach to designing dinosaurs, an approach that sometimes attracts, sometimes repels. I think that it's so very difficult to capture, objectively, the total package of attributes and characteristics of animals that we have never seen and never will, in the flesh. But we will continue to try and no doubt will continue to scrutinize those who explore and test the boundaries of the real.

Well said, and I agree with you.
Despite our own personal preferences  and favorites regarding the style of each figures we collect, it's is nice to have differences in how each one looks.
To me as a collector, it is these differences in style and interpretations that makes it exciting, accurate or not.
If all the figures looks the same and always striving to look as what we call the perfect version of the species, then it would be so boring and I would probably stop collecting.
😂

Concavenator

QuoteWell I agree CollectA is overhyped. I personally think they look like bath toys.

No wonder Anthony Beeson left the forum...  :-X

japfeif

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 12, 2019, 09:50:47 PM
I never even cared about ever getting a Papo Giganotosaurus and even I am extremely disappointed. I can mentally justify their previous odd poses but they've gone way too far with this one. Its like they are pushing the limits of feasibility purely for the sake of it rather than for any aesthetic value. It would be forgivable if it looked cool, but it doesn't even do that, it just looks really lame with the little bent tail. Oh well.

Actually, as bad as the Giga pose is, it's *possible* that the tail isn't as short & stubby as it appears in the one pic we've seen. It looks to be coming straight out at us and that makes it look shorter than it actually is, maybe from a different angle the tail would be seen as being longer. Of course, then it would be angled sideways in an unnatural & I believe impossible angle, but it would at least not be so short & stubby (assuming of course that this IS the case and it's actually longer than it appears in the pic).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: