News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: PumperKrickel on December 01, 2019, 01:48:59 PM
Quote from: empire3569 on December 01, 2019, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 01, 2019, 11:51:16 AM
No Giga   :-[

Papo playing with my feelings

At least they gave me a Stygy which I've wanted from them I might buy 3 of them it saved me from putting money down for a resin kit.

You say "No giga" with such confidence, have you seen the full images?

Plus I believe they revealed the new Spino only after all of the regular releases. A Giga might still be coming next year, even if it´s not on one of the 3 images.

A Papo giganotosaurus would be great regardless of whether or not they sell it next year. What I do not understand is why Papo has not yet made one, considering that it is a very popular dinosaur in the toy market and that it could mean great economic gains.

In any case, a member of the Tyrannosaurus rex family that is not the emblematic dinosaur referred to can be equally profitable. They are usually all tyrannosauroids very similar to tyrannosaurus rex and if they were made to an acceptable size such as tyrannosaurus rex even if it were off the scale, a daspletosaurus or an albertosaurus would mean great economic gains to Papo's toy brand and more could be as popular as the most famous of all theropods of all time the tyrannosaurus rex.

Ravonium

First one looks like a tyrannosaur of some sort*, the second one is almost certainly Stygimoloch, and while I can't say what the third one is, I agree with a few others here that it looks like the Amargasaurus/Polacanthus sculptor did it.

EDIT: *though I doubt it's T. rex itself

GojiraGuy1954

The guy the sculpted the Polacanthus sculpted the Amargasaurus? He must've gone bloody mental after sculpting the Polacanthus because the Amarga is terrible
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Silvanusaurus

The apparent posture of the first one is giving me major Harryhausen/Gwangi vibes and frankly, this pleases me. I don't know how certain it is that its a tyrannosaurus just yet, because it seems like many of their theropods have that same chiseled 'macho' jaw-line whatever the species (e.g. Baryonyx), at least that's what I'm telling myself because a T rex would just be too obvious.
I also don't think the third picture is a model sculpted by the 'inferior' sculptor, those lumps and the spines look more like fleshy protuberances than the skin folds seen previously, and one can tell even from the blurred image that it is much more in line with the usual Papo detail than the soft stodginess of the Polacanthus and Amargasaurus. 

Ravonium

Quote from: TheRealSpinoRex on December 01, 2019, 05:50:10 PM
The guy the sculpted the Polacanthus sculpted the Amargasaurus? He must've gone bloody mental after sculpting the Polacanthus because the Amarga is terrible

They do share stylistic similarities (even if they translated onto one figure better than onto the other), though I should have clarified that the only thing known about the sculptor of those two is that it isn't Mr. Seo.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: TheRealSpinoRex on December 01, 2019, 05:50:10 PM

I would prefer that the third figure if it is of that sculptor the figure was a polacanthus instead of amargasarus. The polacanthus is a pretty and "resultona" figure but Papo's amargasaurus unfortunately does not convince me and is not of good quality.

Mirroraptor

I got new news claiming that the long neck one could be a Masiakasaurus.
Anyway, good news. This means that PAPO has gradually begun to make models of unpopular animals.

Shonisaurus

I hope it is a masiakasaurus by Papo based on his baryonyx. Since I don't think it's a scientific figure unless the figure based on pop art is well sculpted.
I would not want a version of masiakasaurus of the same quality as its amargasaurus.
I welcome Papo making dark figures in the toy market. Thanks for the info avatar_Mirroraptor @Mirroraptor

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 02, 2019, 10:27:27 AM
I hope it is a masiakasaurus by Papo based on his baryonyx. Since I don't think it's a scientific figure unless the figure based on pop art is well sculpted.
I would not want a version of masiakasaurus of the same quality as its amargasaurus.
I welcome Papo making dark figures in the toy market. Thanks for the info avatar_Mirroraptor @Mirroraptor
It is guaranteed that Masiakasaurus will have the same engraving quality as most PAPO products. The sculptor of Amargasaurus does not seem to be contributing anymore in this year's product.
I don't want to comment on whether PAPO's products are copies of some popular art. Many people are just habitually looking for the original reference object for PAPO products. PAPO artists have outstanding abilities, and I have no doubt that they can create completely original and scientific products.

Flaffy

I really hope the sculptor responsible for the horrendous amargasaurus isn't returning this year.
I wonder who in the right mind would've approved that figure's production...

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 02, 2019, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 02, 2019, 10:27:27 AM
It is guaranteed that Masiakasaurus will have the same engraving quality as most PAPO products. The sculptor of Amargasaurus does not seem to be contributing anymore in this year's product.
I don't want to comment on whether PAPO's products are copies of some popular art. Many people are just habitually looking for the original reference object for PAPO products. PAPO artists have outstanding abilities, and I have no doubt that they can create completely original and scientific products.

I do not doubt Papo's outstanding quality in the realization of precisely scientific figures such as the pentaceratops, spinosaurus limited version 2019 and even the gorgosaurus, (all magnificent) the only thing I wanted to refer to (and I apologize to the members of DTF that I have offended unintentionally) is that many Papo dinosaur figures are based on movie animals (and it doesn't seem bad to me) like the JP / JW dinosaur figures and I say it with the utmost respect in the world to the sculptor and the fans of the brand Papo of which I am a faithful follower.

GojiraGuy1954

I hope that these three are not the only new sculpts this year
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

empire3569

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 02, 2019, 10:13:45 AM
Anyway, good news. This means that PAPO has gradually begun to make models of unpopular animals.

Did you happen to hear what the other therapod is?

Syndicate Bias

If you're hoping that other theropod is a Giga I'll have to say it most likely isn't it. Papo would never reveal something that big on their first wave of figures. My bets are still on Tarbosaurus

But since we are getting closer to other things from Papo I can share one piece of information that I have that there are going to be 6 figures next year.

4 will be new sculpts

2 repaints

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 02, 2019, 03:52:52 PM
4 will be new sculpts

2 repaints

Are these actual news or just rumours?

Syndicate Bias

Don't know about Mirro but the 6 new releases were told to me directly by the shop owner that stocks Papo. Don't see a reason for him to lie. Papo doesn't usually release more than a handful of figures a year so 4 makes sense as they always have a big figure for the year and a couple of repaints down the line. So far we got 3 of the 4 so 1 left to go let's just hope it's not limited Edition.

But that's all I can share for now

Shonisaurus

Hopefully the Papo brand has given Mr. Seo consent to make a giganotosaurus, it would be the fourth figure. We will have to wait yet.

I would also like a chasmosaurus and even a paraceratherium (I think this figure is one hundred percent unlikely).

Mattyonyx

A Masiakasaurus would be a pretty interesting choice. The preview made me think of a carnivore, mainly because of the spikes, but I couldn't guess the species by the neck shape. Granted, I would love an improved Baryonyx, but an obscure species is always welcome and the articulated jaw would be cool.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: PumperKrickel on December 02, 2019, 04:32:06 PM

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 02, 2019, 03:52:52 PM
4 will be new sculpts

2 repaints

Are these actual news or just rumours?

Truth. I have a screenshot about the Masiakasaurus, It's a four-footed position figure with head up, with a color scheme looks like this one but more longitudinal texture:

It is a pity that I was forbidden to publish this picture, so I can only describe it verbally until PAPO allow me to public.

Flaffy

A masiakasaurus in a quadrupedal pose?
Yikes. My expectations have been drastically lowered. Seems like Papo really likes their painful poses.
Hope it doesn't look as awkward as the Acrocanthosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: