You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

It is honestly very accurate to order the shelves by nations and by geological epochs. You have been phenomenal are some outstanding shelves. Nice, neat and elegant collection. I agree with your tastes when it comes to toy dinosaur brands.

ceratopsian

Really good displays and worth all the effort. You are motivating me to start a project in the winter: to add columns to my Excel records for time period and place for my models.

Crackington

Very well presented shelves avatar_Loon @Loon which really show off your collection well. I agree with avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus too that you have great taste👏. Just hope your insomonia's better now you've organised them.

I'll have to re-show my shelves too at some point, they were last shown on the Forum Mark 1 back in the Triassic!

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian - interesting to hear that you keep track of your collection using Excel too. I also do this, though I sometimes forget to update it when new ones arrive or I swap models.

ceratopsian

If avatar_Loon @Loon doesn't mind me explaining a little on his thread...

avatar_Crackington @Crackington: I work in a museum, so I'm partial to accession records.  I started my Excel sheet early on in my collecting days. I'm glad I did, as my collection has expanded dramatically and it's a good way to keep track of it.  I have a reasonably "safe" system for ensuring that newly arrived models don't get forgotten!

Quote from: Crackington on September 11, 2020, 11:47:32 AM
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian - interesting to hear that you keep track of your collection using Excel too. I also do this, though I sometimes forget to update it when new ones arrive or I swap models.

Crackington

Interesting, I work in a university and use Excel a fair bit there. I also used it from my early "re-collecting" days in the early 2000s. It's very useful, though I have to remind myself it's not work!

Apologies to avatar_Loon @Loon too for going slightly off topic on his collection thread!

Bokisaurus

Very nice display and how you organized them all! I wish I had a dedicated display shelf ;D

Loon

Thank you so much to everyone for the compliments. I really appreciate that you guys enjoy them so much. Tbh, for a little bit recently, I felt pretty down on my collection. But, this reorganizing and all of the positive response has really reminded me of why I love these things. So, again, thank you so much.

Also, avatar_Crackington @Crackington and avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, no worries about the excel conversation. I actually like the idea a lot, myself. I've been using the DinoToyCollector site, but it doesn't have all of the figures in my collection; so, cataloguing them in Excel could be something I consider in future. It would definitely be better than using the memo app on my phone, .

And, avatar_Crackington @Crackington, thanks for the kind words. Though, the sleeping issues are unfortunately not exclusive to this project. Still, it allowed me to watched the fifth Ice Age movie last night. I don't know why I said that like it was a good thing, it was awful. John Powell's score was not even there to ease me through it.

Loon

Alright, the main 4 bookcases are done. I'm not 100% happy with them, but I'm still very proud of how they came out. Much more proud of them than I was before.

So, the first 4 pictures are of the smallest bookcase and, while it's not my favorite, I still like it enough.

This shelf represents some of my favorite "things" in paleontology. Discoveries, animals, you name it.

This is the "Sea Monsters" shelf. Not that I like calling any non-human animal a monster, but it reminded me of an exhibit I visited, so it kind of stuck.

And another aquatic shelf (mostly), the Western Interior Seaway. It was initially planned to be like the Morrison, Dinosaur Park, or Hell Creek shelves from the main two bookcases; but, turns out I don't have as many figures from there as I thought. So my two other Paleozoo figures are filling in the space.

These next three pics are of the new Cenozoic shelves. I figured they needed a bigger space, so I moved them. This also helped me finally put the Basilosaurus along with the rest of the mammals.

So, that's mostly it. I still have a big self floating above my TV, which, thanks to some recent sales, is basically empty. I have to figure that one out still.

ceratopsian

I find the "Sea Monsters" shelf particularly pleasing in terms of balance and artistic appeal. The plastic supports you use work really well for putting the creatures in dynamic poses.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you Loon for how you have ordered all your shelves. They have been superbly cool! I really like your PNSO ceratosaurus it is a big and beautiful figure.

On the other hand, the shelf of prehistoric mammals has been super cool, especially the PNSO basilosaurus, you have placed it correctly in such a way that it occupies the state you deserve.

Nice collection, my congratulations on your placement and order of these figures.

UK

Great collection and fantastic display.

Where did you get the plastic stands from?

Loon

Thank you all for the kind words, I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

Quote from: UK on September 12, 2020, 10:00:41 PM
...Where did you get the plastic stands from?

I get the smaller ones from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223981633853
And the larger ones from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UUTBFGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rDXxFb64S05KC

In other news, I've finally, completely finished the shelves, for now. So here's the last I'll share of them for a while here.

This is one of the new displays I've done since the last post, the Protoceratops collection. Though, it's not exactly everything, just the one's I wanted displayed (I'd never feel good displaying the Geoworld one)

Here's another new display. This shelf was empty after ri reorganized so I figured I'd put all of the oversized figures here. Like, the Protoceratops display this is temporary, most likely this I'll be where the modern animals move once the current shelf becomes too full.

Thank you all again for your feedback and kindness through this whole process.

Shonisaurus

They look like the shelves of a museum. It's fabulous!

Libraraptor

Faelrin

Great to see everything together. It's such an amazing assortment from so many companies and so many species, including plenty of obscure ones.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Kapitaenosavrvs

Beautifully arranged. The End.

At first i wasnt shure if i like all these risers and Stands. But as a whole its looks great. Its massive, but now crowded (Important). And i like the seperation in Times. Just really nice to look at.

Loon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 14, 2020, 08:52:37 AM
They look like the shelves of a museum. It's fabulous!

Thanks, that's 100% the look I was going for. I'm all about that old museum aesthetic (I've been watching tons of museum walkthroughs while at home, so that hasn't helped).

Quote from: Faelrin on September 14, 2020, 03:13:54 PM
Great to see everything together. It's such an amazing assortment from so many companies and so many species, including plenty of obscure ones.

Thank you. I'm definitely very happy with it, and maybe a little too proud of it... Also, these days, I'm finding I'm more drawn to obscure species than anything, and non-dinosaurs at that.

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor, avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs, thank you for the comments!

Halichoeres

That's a great setup. I like that most of them have a bit of room to breathe. My shelves are so cramped.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 21, 2020, 10:48:49 PM
That's a great setup. I like that most of them have a bit of room to breathe. My shelves are so cramped.
Thanks, yeah, I really hated how crowded it used to be. But, after a few sales and trying to stick to one figure per species, it looks a lot nicer.

If you want to see some of the extant animals I got this week, check out my post on the Animal Toy Forum.

Well, I couldn't leave it like that for long. Thanks to Diermodel.nl, I finally got around to getting the last couple of new 2020 CollectA figures I wanted. The Caviramus is of course amazing, I was really surprised by how much I love the colors. The Orthoceras is very nice too, if a bit simple.

I also got a couple of figures I sold and wanted again (the Battat Nanshiungosaurus is from eBay).

Here's the Caviramus with the rest of the large Pterosaurs:

My favorite get of the past bit has to be this "Evolving Darwin" set by Accoutrements. I've seen a few people with this Darwin figure, and I just had to have it. The non-Darwin figures in this set are just weird, they all have his face (if he was played by George Carlin). Still, I've been having a bit too much fun taking pictures with this guy.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon I congratulate you on the caviramus, it makes a good quartet with the other pterosaurus from Collecta. On the other hand, invertebrates seem bigger than I expected. Could it be an optical illusion? I see the orthoceras larger than expected in that photograph. I'm glad for you. Thanks for the photo credit.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: