You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Thanks L @Leyster and B @Bokisaurus!

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2021, 08:37:07 PM
I like the rocks; nice substrate for pterosaurs.

I opted to wait until the Mamenchisaurus is available before pulling the trigger on this one, but your photos are definitely whetting my appetite. Looking forward to ditching my old Toyway Megalosaurus.

Thanks!

I was planning to wait as well, but, obviously, my impatience got the better of me.

Quote from: Crackington on March 10, 2021, 08:48:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Megalosaurus avatar_Loon @Loon , but got to say, "super-tiny" is good news for me! Nice looking model.

It looks like there are now three main Megalosaurus toys, Invicta, Toyway and now Collecta? Plus various cheaposaur monstrosities like Nayab etc and I guess some high quality reproductions of the Crystal Palace Godfather. Hopefully they'll be more soon.

I completely forgot about all those. Though, really, based on what I've seen of the Toyway one, it's nothing special. There's also CollectA's first attempt at the genus, which is well, underwhelming to put it nicely.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It's a lovely figure, and I am also pleased it is nice and small, knowing how big Megalosaurus is and all. And the face looks much nicer in your photos than the promo images
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon My congratulations, Loon, how beautiful the megalosaurus is I can't wait to have it on my shelves! Thanks for sharing those photos. I honestly like theropods with closed jaws better. With their jaws open, theropods give a rather hackneyed image about this type of dinosaurs, a singularly spectacular image but a bit repeated and companies like Collecta or Safari are sincerely thanked for making those beautiful and interesting dinosaurs with closed jaws. I'm so happy for you.

Mattyonyx

The more pictures o the Megalosaurus I see, the more I like it. It has a sort of "striped hyena" feel that I find quite charming.... Even the spines on the tail kinda remind me of a Hyena tail!

Loon

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 11, 2021, 12:58:25 AM
It's a lovely figure, and I am also pleased it is nice and small, knowing how big Megalosaurus is and all. And the face looks much nicer in your photos than the promo images

Thanks, happy I could this little one justice!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 11, 2021, 09:34:57 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon My congratulations, Loon, how beautiful the megalosaurus is I can't wait to have it on my shelves! Thanks for sharing those photos. I honestly like theropods with closed jaws better. With their jaws open, theropods give a rather hackneyed image about this type of dinosaurs, a singularly spectacular image but a bit repeated and companies like Collecta or Safari are sincerely thanked for making those beautiful and interesting dinosaurs with closed jaws. I'm so happy for you.

Thanks Shonisaurus, I definitely agree that the constant open screaming look is a little over done. I get that it's easy and marketable, but it's pretty boring. "Hackneyed" is also a fantastic descriptor.

Quote from: Mattyonyx on March 11, 2021, 10:23:45 PM
The more pictures o the Megalosaurus I see, the more I like it. It has a sort of "striped hyena" feel that I find quite charming.... Even the spines on the tail kinda remind me of a Hyena tail!

It does definitely grow on you. I didn't even consider the Hyena comparison, but I see it now.

Loon

It's been a bit since I've posted here, and it'll probably be a bit until I do again. I've got some other things going on right now, and I'm not finding myself super enthused by figures these days. But, I wanted to post something...

I've previously mentioned that it would be some time before I shared my current display, but, I'm impatient. So, here's how it currently looks.

Sorry for the mess. My room was being cleaned at the time and the shelves were a little dusty. But, I think I like how it looks. Of course, it's going to change, it always seems to. I feel like now more than ever, I'm constantly questioning why and what I collect.

It's also funny to see how nightmarishly large it's become since I started my thread with this picture...a year ago...*screams internally*

Despite how much the display and the figures in it have changed, you'll notice that I still struggle to take a decent picture.

Crackington

That looks great avatar_Loon @Loon! I like the way the figures now have space to see them properly.

I also like the unit under the TV - if you get a boring show, you immediately have something better to look at just by adjusting your eyes!

The Atroxious

You and I have the same kind of TV. Your shelves look a lot more organized than my TV cabinet though. I just throw whatever I want easy access to on my cabinet, so memo book, hand lotion, acrylic paint, masking tape, lip balm, bandages, and so on. Your setup looks so tidy.

I've had my poseable Indoraptor sitting on my TV for about a month, so at least it's not devoid of dinosaurs.

Faelrin

I love your displays. Honestly the whole set up looks so awesome to me. Much better then my current situation lol.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Magnificent display, both your lovely original one and your new incredibly impressive display. Lovely figures abound
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

That's a great little museum corner! The lights keep anybody from being hidden in shadow. The shelves of modern fauna over the window and TV enhance it, too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

Congratulations, it looks superb. I agree that light makes anything better. I'm very happy with lighting my cabinet, too.

Loon

Thanks everyone! I think I'll soon be able to get some close up pics, as I have a new camera on the way and it should make for clearer images.

Abobo

Kapitaenosavrvs

Very Nice Display. Got a long way until now. It is so much nicer to apreciate a Figure, if it is not buried under other Figures. All in All i can say, that i am jealous :D Looking forward to the next big update next year: Loons Collection Room I

Loon

Quote from: Abobo on March 22, 2021, 10:31:42 PM
superb display!

Thank you!

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on March 22, 2021, 11:14:27 PM
Very Nice Display. Got a long way until now. It is so much nicer to apreciate a Figure, if it is not buried under other Figures. All in All i can say, that i am jealous :D Looking forward to the next big update next year: Loons Collection Room I

Oh god. That's a scary thought... But not impossible, I'm already considering expanding my extant land animal display, since that's reaching early dino display levels of crowded. I think, in all honesty, if it ever gets big enough to fill a room, I'd probably sell most of it. Just seems a bit unhealthy to me.

Loon

Sorry for the double post. But, finally, I can share a close-up of a shelf and not feel bad about it! Thanks to my new phones, which honestly has a better camera than my actual canon, you too can now see all the exposed wires, string, screws, broken wood, and jagged plastic that makes up my display!

I'm only sharing the Paleozoic shelf for now, since I'm going to be working on some other shelves over the weekend and didn't want to share them twice in a few days. So, uh, here it is!

I haven't dusted, and probably won't until I'm ready for the big collection update in a few months, so I'm sorry about that.

UPDATE: Screw it, I dusted.

I think it fulfills the "descending chronology" look I was going for. Though the two floating figures do mess that up a bit; it would have looked weird if they were lower than the Cambrian fauna.

Faelrin

Really great way to display these all. Glad you got it sorted out.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Paleozoic shelf is the best shelf. Are you planning to get any of the Life game miniatures? It could augment this assortment in interesting ways.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Faelrin on March 26, 2021, 12:02:51 AM
Really great way to display these all. Glad you got it sorted out.

Thank you!

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 26, 2021, 06:24:16 PM
Paleozoic shelf is the best shelf. Are you planning to get any of the Life game miniatures? It could augment this assortment in interesting ways.

Honestly, I wasn't quite familiar with them until a few minutes ago. I guess I sorta dismissed them as basic game pieces, but I understand there are painted versions too? I think I may grab some of the plants, but the animals are a bit too stylized for my shelves I think. Not that they aren't nice, I just don't really but that sort of figure. I may just get the game, since I've been looking for something decent to play.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: