News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, January 30, 2020, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezikot

When I saw the new T. Rex for the first time I thought it was majestic,
but when I saw other photos I changed my mind.
I do not like that he needs a support, how the teeth look when the mouth is closed, and, above all, I do not like his "smile" when the mouth is closed.
I'm not saying it is wrong in any way, I cannot say a word about it being scientifically accurate or not, it's just a matter of personal tastes.

Side note: there are so many PNSO threads at the moment that I'm not sure where to post what, so apologies if I posted in the wrong thread.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Flaffy on December 20, 2020, 01:22:38 AM
Quote from: Dinoxels on December 20, 2020, 01:18:46 AM
I did some crude photo-bashing and from the looks of it the back of the skull is too flat if we are basing it on AMNH 5027.
*snip*
I think I may have put the skull a bit too far back but my point still stands.

Not just a bit. The orbit of the skull completely misses the eyes of the figure. And I think you've made the skull oversized due to scaling issues.

Maybe you should've used a pic with less of an angle?
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I realize that I did have bit of a weird angle when lining up the skull, so here is another attempt to prove my point.

It appears the sculptor did an excellent job of making sure the front of the skull looked correct, but as we move back it looks as if the skull of the figure is rather more like a juvenile Tyrannosaurus. 
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

cooksonia

Got the goofy JP look again

Remko

I like it. I already thought the previous two verions of "Wilson" were some of the best Tyrannosaurus figures without paying hundreds of € for a resin figure, but this figure is even better.

You could still display them together, the original Wilson figures could represent the "gracile" morph, while this could represent the "robust" morph.

Can't wait to add this beauty to my collection!

suspsy

Quote from: cooksonia on December 20, 2020, 11:46:32 AM

No, that is most definitely a far cry from any JP design. Literally everything about it is different.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

edu

I think it looks great except for the liplessness -i am on the lips camp-. An the thooth may be a tad too long? Not taking into account the looseness of the sockets?
But... being collecting for a short time, this is the first trex that, in my chosen scale and prize range, i find appealing. When something like this but with lips appears in the market -Eofauna, i am thinking of you- i can display both together so to show the lips controversy.

Bread

Quote from: cooksonia on December 20, 2020, 11:46:32 AM
I would say the colors are similar to Jurassic Park's Tyrannosaurus, but in terms of sculpt no. JP had much longer arms and block-like head due to lack of vision.

Lips are debatable for me, yes I would like a figure with them, but at the same time I could care less. If I am not wrong, is there not a discovery of a species of Tyrannosaur with a skull showing lack of lips? I forgot which species of Tyrannosaur it was, I'll have to do more research. 

suspsy

Since feathers and lips (or lack of both) remain an ongoing topic of debate, I'm not going to fault PNSO for omitting them on Wilson 2.0. The oversized scales, however, are something no palaeontologist on the planet would agree with.

edu

Quote from: suspsy on December 20, 2020, 02:12:07 PM
The oversized scales, however, are something no palaeontologist on the planet would agree with.
Suspsy, have you made the math? How big are the scales known?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Flaffy on December 20, 2020, 07:15:23 AM
Video on Facebook showing the new Tyrannosaurus. No support stand needed.
https://www.facebook.com/100033857250425/videos/pcb.3016742365239686/428090314996207

Is there any way to watch this somewhere else? I do not have Facebook and i am not allowed to view Content on the Site. Facebook does not want that :D
This Angle looks great, i have to say. I would always have the Mouth closed on this Figure, i gues. But Scalesize and the Mouth... I really do not want to nitpick here. It is a good Model and no Figure is 100% for everyone. Moreover they are done by People. And Sculpting is one Side of the Medal. There is producing too. I guess they often collide.

With the Suppor-Stand i guessed it will be something liek Rebor did. A "Just in Case". I am absolutely finde with that. If i should buy Wilson 2.0 (3.0 or even 4.0? :D) i would make him a Base.

Remko

Quote from: edu on December 20, 2020, 02:22:13 PM
The oversized scales, however, are something no palaeontologist on the planet would agree with.

As with all dinosaur figures, if you had the scales at the right size, they would be practically impossible to distinguish and the skin would look almost smooth.
Most dinosaur scales are only a few cm wide.
So in 1/35th scale a 2 cm scale would be only about 0,06 mm in diameter.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Dinoxels on December 20, 2020, 11:13:59 AM
[...]

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I realize that I did have bit of a weird angle when lining up the skull, so here is another attempt to prove my point.

It appears the sculptor did an excellent job of making sure the front of the skull looked correct, but as we move back it looks as if the skull of the figure is rather more like a juvenile Tyrannosaurus.

It`s a common misconception, not only in paleontology, that the head of a living animal could be measured to verify a skull`s measures. Unfortunately, in a lot of "dinosaur" figures this is possible, but the fact in itself renders the reconstruction false, because it omits any soft and keratin tissue of which there is a surprisingly lot on a skull, even in birds. If you ever have the chance to dissect and prepare a skull of any creature, I highly recommend doing so, just for the sake of having an impression of how much soft tissue is there and to which degree it alters the creature`s appearance from its skull features.

That being said, I have high doubts, Tyrannosaurus`head looked like that... lenght and visibility of teeth, ridges from nose to eyes, overall bulk, jaw line.....

suspsy

Quote from: edu on December 20, 2020, 02:22:13 PM

Each scale from the skin fragments of the "Wyrex" specimen is less than 1 mm in length, which means that the scales on Wilson's body are probably around the same size or possibly even bigger than the ones you would find on an actual 10 ton living T. rex.

edu

Well... that's getting it wrong for much!  ;D

JimoAi

Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2020, 10:42:13 PM
No one should ever get rid of the Battat Tyrannosaurus, it's one of the best Tyrannosaurus models ever produced and certainly the best one of the 90's-00's. Blasphemy.
My 3 terra and battat figures will move to my table rather than being given away

ceratopsian

Choosing an appropriate size for scales must be a nightmare for manufacturers. If they made them to scale, their customers would probably complain that the resulting smooth-skinned model lacked detail and would not buy the toys. I'm happy on balance to buy a model that shows outsize scales but to remember that they are an artistic convention.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on December 20, 2020, 07:15:23 AM
Video on Facebook showing the new Tyrannosaurus. No support stand needed.
https://www.facebook.com/100033857250425/videos/pcb.3016742365239686/428090314996207

What a brute -splendid! I plan to display this with the v.3 of Wilson, showing the two extremes in body-type possible with this species. Interesting that in this view the head does not appear small at all, not that this should be a problem, as the previous discussion on the thread strongly indicates.

SidB

Quote from: JimoAi on December 20, 2020, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2020, 10:42:13 PM
No one should ever get rid of the Battat Tyrannosaurus, it's one of the best Tyrannosaurus models ever produced and certainly the best one of the 90's-00's. Blasphemy.
My 3 terra and battat figures will move to my table rather than being given away
Good choice, in my opinion. I think that you'll be glad that you kept them. Another dynamic is that we sometimes start to enjoy a certain historical development of figures in our collections and certainly the Battat T-rexes, especially versions 1 & 2, are great classics, miles ahead of their time, though the  v. 3 and the associated Battat Terra one are also excellant too.

Faelrin

I feel like an approach like their hadrosaurids would have been better in this regard. But like avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian pointed out I can see why they also didn't. It would probably help it sell more for folks wanting detailed figures.

I'm guessing the Beasts of the Mesozoic ones will be the first in line to have the tiny scales and lips aesthetic unless something pops out before them?

Edit: I agree with folks here about the rod and clear base (that isn't permanently attached to the feet). It would certainly help long term stability, in case of any warping. Granted it is also good to see it able to stand without it, so one could use it in dioramas or for photoshoot purposes. I think it would be nice to see this method for other theropod figures in the future, either from them, or from other companies, assuming it isn't too costly.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

I'm surprised no one's mentioned how well the paint quality has been maintained with the final version of this model, especially with PNSO's track record.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: