News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

X-Plus/Star Ace

Started by Over9K, February 09, 2020, 03:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooksonia

dragon53

Awesome Collector email says:

"All four version of the Rhedosaurus 32cm figure will begin shipping next week."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 11, 2021, 12:12:37 AM
Awesome Collector email says:

"All four version of the Rhedosaurus 32cm figure will begin shipping next week."

Saw that too, will be great to have my deluxe color version finally!

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I have THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS on bluray and haven't watched it for a long time because I was waiting for the Rhedosaurus to arrive----so I'll watch it in January.

Trivia: the voice on the radio in the hospital room announcing another sea serpent sighting is Merv Griffin (Griffin is also in the movie trailer) and the cop who is eaten by the Rhedosaurus returns as one of the cops who fire their rifles at the Rhedosaurus. Lastly, you probably already know this one, but the Army sniper who fires the radioactive bullet into the Rhedosaurus is Lee Van Cleef.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 11, 2021, 05:43:17 AM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I have THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS on bluray and haven't watched it for a long time because I was waiting for the Rhedosaurus to arrive----so I'll watch it in January.

Trivia: the voice on the radio in the hospital room announcing another sea serpent sighting is Merv Griffin (Griffin is also in the movie trailer) and the cop who is eaten by the Rhedosaurus returns as one of the cops who fire their rifles at the Rhedosaurus. Lastly, you probably already know this one, but the Army sniper who fires the radioactive bullet into the Rhedosaurus is Lee Van Cleef.

Awesome. Wish they could have cameoed Bradbury somewhere.

dragon53

I got an email from Awesome Collector that my Rhedosaurus has been shipped----it's been a long wait.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 27, 2021, 11:53:52 PM
I got an email from Awesome Collector that my Rhedosaurus has been shipped----it's been a long wait.

Same here, took a bit longer but definitely the best price.  I know some were a disappointed in the head sculpt but i saw on facebook Bob Eggleton got him one, he really liked it and the man knows his monsters.

dragon53

My Star Ace Rhedosaurus arrived today, so here are my comments on it.

I had seen the prototype photos and was concerned about how large and chunky the scales were. Looking at my own model, the scales are large and chunky.
I have two sci fi books with large, closeup photos of Harryhausen's Rhedosaurus head and its scales are relatively fine and detailed---similar to the head scales on the Rebor Retro T-Rex.  However, the Star Ace scales are much larger, do not follow the same scale pattern as the Harryhausen head and some of the Star Plus scales have a "Moon crater" look---there's a depression in the center..

Because the Star Ace head scales are so large, its ears (which are very distinct on Harryhausen's model) are not as distinct as they should be.
Also, I think the Star Ace snout should be slightly longer, and on Harryhausen's model, there is a slight bump on the lower jaw giving it a "goatee" appearance that is not on the Star Ace model.

I have always wanted a Rhedoaurus, and now I have one. Someone on ebay had been selling an assembled Rhedosaurus kit with light house but it was very expensive and the paint looked off. So I'm happy with the Star Ace version and would give it a "B" grade. If the Star Ace scales were like the Rebor Retro T-Rex or the Nanmu Giganotosaurus, I would have given it "A".

Blade-of-the-Moon

Mine should be in tomorrow.  It's a shame about those details. I've heard some similar complaints about Gwangi's head.  I sort of feel like they might be rushing  these but at the same time they are taking awhile with the preorders.

Joe Laudati has sculpted a few including the one you mentioned with the lighthouse.

This one is by John Fischner

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

When I put the Star Ace Rhedosaurus next to the Nanmu Giganotosaurus or Future King, the Rhedosaurus looks like a big toy.

On the bluray THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS special features, there are closeup photos of Harryhausen's model and it looks very detailed with sharply-defined scales. Since the Star Ace model is an official model, I wonder why they decided to go with a clunky-looking model instead of one that resembles Harryhausen's model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on January 05, 2022, 05:25:38 AM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

When I put the Star Ace Rhedosaurus next to the Nanmu Giganotosaurus or Future King, the Rhedosaurus looks like a big toy.

On the bluray THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS special features, there are closeup photos of Harryhausen's model and it looks very detailed with sharply-defined scales. Since the Star Ace model is an official model, I wonder why they decided to go with a clunky-looking model instead of one that resembles Harryhausen's model.

As I said, perhaps it was rushed?  Maybe it's part of it being a vinyl figure vs a resin one?    I see lots of fine detail on the previous pieces though so im not really sure?

dragon53

Are there any rumors of what the next Star Ace sci fi model will be?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on January 23, 2022, 02:10:18 PM
Are there any rumors of what the next Star Ace sci fi model will be?

Mostly all I keep up with is the Dinosaur stuff, but it looks like Gwangi, Bubo, and model kit versions of the Allosaurus and Ymir are next.
http://starace.com.hk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=harryhausen

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 05, 2022, 06:09:38 AMAs I said, perhaps it was rushed?  Maybe it's part of it being a vinyl figure vs a resin one?    I see lots of fine detail on the previous pieces though so im not really sure?

In the case of Gwangi and the Rhedosaurus, neither of the original stop-motion puppets exist anymore, so the sculpts for those are pure freehand. X-Plus was able to get access to any of the puppets that still exist, the Kraken, Bubo, the Allosaurus, the Ceratosaurus, etc. They also were able to study statues of characters like the Ymir and the Cyclops, that Ray cast from molds taken off the original puppets, so all those sculpts are based, at least in part, on Ray's own sculpts.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

Thanks for the link.
If the current Star Ace Harryhausen models are successful, I would hope Star Ace might release the Hydra from JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS or a Cephalopod from MYSTERIOUS ISLAND in the future. I have the X-Plus models of the Hydra and Cephalopod, but they are tiny and fragile.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on January 24, 2022, 05:29:06 AM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

Thanks for the link.
If the current Star Ace Harryhausen models are successful, I would hope Star Ace might release the Hydra from JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS or a Cephalopod from MYSTERIOUS ISLAND in the future. I have the X-Plus models of the Hydra and Cephalopod, but they are tiny and fragile.

Those are both good ideas. There is the Dragon from Sinbad, though I have the X-Plus version myself.  Still a lot of prehistorics I'd like to see.  The Styracosaurus from Gwangi...just so many..

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I hope that Rebor does a retro Brontosaurus to go with its retro T Rexes----a Rebor Brontosaurus would have the great detailing and same scale of its T Rexes and would be a lot cheaper than a Star Ace version.

I'm asking about possible future Star Ace models because I'm also looking at the Nanmu Brachiosarus and Stegosaurus to replace the Papo versions, so I'm trying figure out where to spend my money better.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on January 24, 2022, 04:02:57 PM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I hope that Rebor does a retro Brontosaurus to go with its retro T Rexes----a Rebor Brontosaurus would have the great detailing and same scale of its T Rexes and would be a lot cheaper than a Star Ace version.

I'm asking about possible future Star Ace models because I'm also looking at the Nanmu Brachiosarus and Stegosaurus to replace the Papo versions, so I'm trying figure out where to spend my money better.

I don't know if Rebor would be up for doing something that large? But it would be cool.  I would expecta a Star Ace vinyl version to run around 500.00 if they did it.  At the moment they seem to be milking each piece with different versions, resin/vinyl/ model kit.

I think you'd be fine buying the Nanmu pieces, as it will be awhile before Starace gets new pieces out, at least Q4 2022 I think. Likely they won't ship til this time next year.    Gwangi is supposedly shipping end of this month that's the last dino for now that we know of.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the movie, but like the Kracken, I'm not a 100% sure it fits my collection?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: