News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stegotyranno's customs

Started by Stegotyranno420, February 25, 2020, 12:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Its been long since i posted here.
This is a preview of a upcoming sculpture, and will probally be finished next year and be for sale in 5-8 years.
Its not close to being finished, so don't be so critical, although constructive advice is accepted.

please mind my humanoid fingers

indohyus

Very nice! Spinosaurid of some form?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: indohyus on August 22, 2020, 11:40:36 PM
Very nice! Spinosaurid of some form?
Actaully its a bulky and more muscular take on lilliensternus, based on the new renovations made to dilophosaurus

Shonisaurus

Dear Stegotyranno in my case I do not understand paleontology and biology but I ask you a question, did the liliensternus have an elongated skull like that of a crocodile? The figure is well made but at first glance I confused it with a spinosaurid, I thought it was a baryonyx and I say it with all the respect and affection in the world, the unfinished prototype is quite good at first glance, it reminds me of a baryonyx in its genius by the way will it have jointed jaws? Will it be PVC or resin?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on August 23, 2020, 10:39:51 AM
Dear Stegotyranno in my case I do not understand paleontology and biology but I ask you a question, did the liliensternus have an elongated skull like that of a crocodile? The figure is well made but at first glance I confused it with a spinosaurid, I thought it was a baryonyx and I say it with all the respect and affection in the world, the unfinished prototype is quite good at first glance, it reminds me of a baryonyx in its genius by the way will it have jointed jaws? Will it be PVC or resin?
Lilliensternus did have long jaws, but not spinosaurid level, it looks like that because of the angle.  Based on the materials i will most likeley get, its going to be resin and about 10 usd based on todays economy.

Stegotyranno420

Updates:
More progress on Lilliensternus

Begining on the Rhizodus

Begining on the Therizinosaurus

Should I add Teeth to this t.rex, or keep the lips

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your figures, you have a lot of skill when making those figures. What I say I always wish I had the ability that you and other DTF members have.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 01, 2020, 07:50:22 AM
I congratulate you on your figures, you have a lot of skill when making those figures. What I say I always wish I had the ability that you and other DTF members have.
Thanks, i feel the same when i see avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson  sculpts

Skorpio V.

IIRC I read there weren't lips on most theropod's upper jaws, especially not on Tyrannosaurus'. Keep up the great work on the sculpts! I had decent attempts at what I wanted to be Dakotaraptors. They were never at the right scale once i got a quarter of the way done so they're sitting lonely in a little container for now :P
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Skorpio V. on September 09, 2020, 04:07:03 AM
IIRC I read there weren't lips on most theropod's upper jaws, especially not on Tyrannosaurus'.

If you mean the Carr et al. paper from a few years ago, then that wasn't very popular with DTF members and is pretty controversial, it seems, among other palaeontologists.  Not that there's anything to say you shouldn't sculpt/draw/whatever lipless theropods - you're allowed to have artistic license, and you're certainly allowed to go with the theories that you find convincing.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Justin_

Quote from: Skorpio V. on September 09, 2020, 04:07:03 AM
......................I had decent attempts at what I wanted to be Dakotaraptors. They were never at the right scale once i got a quarter of the way done so they're sitting lonely in a little container for now :P

You should finish them. Either call them a different species that fits the scale or keep them as Dakotaraptors at a different scale. I've got a few years worth of unfinished sculptures but I'm determined to finish them all eventually as I hate wasting art materials. To be honest, scale is not something I worry about yet, other than "small", "tiny" or "the same size as.....".

Stegotyranno420

Well guess what guys,
the T rexes head got damaged
WHY does my life keep on getting worse and worse!
First theres a really mean teacher, then a whole pandemic, and horrible summer, having no idea if you are even going to get your promised present, and now all my sculpts are being messed up.

I quit. I give up.
Is there a way i could sell clay, because i dont want to lose any money, and i dont want to keep this stuff in my home because im total trash as sculpting. What the hell is wrong with me

BlueKrono

Don't underestimate the importance of taking a break. Setbacks suck for sure, and can make you lose some love for a thing temporarily. Maybe give it some time. It'll be there for you when you're feeling it again.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 20, 2020, 05:22:22 AM
Da Vinci didn't leave the womb as a master of arts, just keep sculpting and you'll get better at it over time, don't give up immediately after your first attempts.
Yeah except I had been try for the past 2 years
avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono i try to take breaks, but I am just riddled with extreme boredom, and I can't help it. I try to find alternatives but something always has to mess up

BlueKrono

That's fair. It sounds like you've given it a good go. If you're not satisfied with the results there's plenty of other things to try. I've got so any hobbies I barely have time for any of them - writing, sewing stuffed animals, painting miniatures. Is there any activity that brings you joy? If not, there's so many new things to try. This year there's a lot of good lists of them to fight boredom during the Covid pandemic.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 20, 2020, 02:47:42 PM
That's fair. It sounds like you've given it a good go. If you're not satisfied with the results there's plenty of other things to try. I've got so any hobbies I barely have time for any of them - writing, sewing stuffed animals, painting miniatures. Is there any activity that brings you joy? If not, there's so many new things to try. This year there's a lot of good lists of them to fight boredom during the Covid pandemic.
I do have hobbies but the problem is i have all this useless clay lying around. It costed a total of 30 bucks over the years. Probally one of my biggest mistakes of my life.

(for those who are like "Hey Stego, didn't you say you were poor and stuff, that only went for toys, not everything else)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 20, 2020, 07:02:28 PM
2 years isn't as long as it may sound when it comes to learning a new sill.
I'd say keep sculpting until you used all the clay up.
If you don't feel like sculpting animals you can still use the clay to make bases for small dioramas with rocks, logs and other stuff, there are still lots of opportunities for fun things to do with it.
Thanks very much Stolpergeist.
I may never be able to make a dinosaur, but i can make one a home to live in.

Stegotyranno420

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.