News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Customs (I'm sorry)

Started by Loon, March 28, 2020, 01:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Well, I'm going to be stuck at home for quite some time and figured I needed something to do. I've always wanted to try my hand at customizing.

I recently won a pretty big lot of figures. Most of them were sold off, as I only really only want a few in the lot. One of those figures was the Schleich Stegosaurus, which I decided to make my first custom Dinosaur.

I thought it looked a lot like my favorite Stegosaurus design, the Lost World one. So I'd make it look like that.

So, after watching tons of YouTube videos, I was ready.

Ummmm.... Listen, I haven't painted since elementary school.

I'm actually kinda happy with how some of the dry brushing came out.

Unfortunately, I really clumped the matte varnish on there, and it shows.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Especially for a first try.

Anyway, is love to get some feedback on this thing, so let me know what you think!

Shonisaurus

For a beginner painting it is not bad. What you have to polish over time the painting errors but to be the first repaint you can be very happy. I would like to be at your artistic level, which in my case is null.

Halichoeres

Keep at it! This is the perfect time to pick up the skill.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Martwad

It's quite good for a first try.  You appear to be doing some proper techniques, but my observation is that your paint looks very thick.  You want to really thin your paint with a solvent (water for acrylic).  You want to build up the paint in very thin layers.  This will help the colors blend instead of having abrupt edges.  Looks like you are doing some dry-brushing, but again it's just heavy.  One thing I never could figure out was ink-washing.  I could never get it to go where I wanted.

Bokisaurus

Not a bad start.
Are you painting base color first or are you painting in section?
I would give the figures a good base/ undercoat paint first before layering some colors.
And when you apply colors, try  doing it by dry-brushing it in multiple layers.
Keep it up😃

Loon

Another awful custom, an Imaginext(?) Ceratosaurus(?) into the Ceratosaurus from JP3.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus & avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks for the feedback. And I will keep improving for sure. I've got all the time in the world currently.

avatar_Martwad @Martwad & B @Bokisaurus I haven't done any customs since this one, but the information you given me is so helpful for the future.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.