You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Some figures won't stand, no matter what I do

Started by Loon, April 28, 2020, 09:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

So, I've been having an issue with the Favorite Tarbosaurus. No matter how many times I heat and bend the legs, they don't stay in place and it won't stand. I've had many figures that come warped and unable to stand, but a quick blow dry and they're perfect.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this. Not just with the toy I mentioned, but any figure.

Justin_

I normally make bases and pin the figures down, but that's not easy if you don't have the right tools.

ceratopsian

I can't get the "Banjo" Australovenator to stand for more than a few minutes, no matter how much heating and adjusting I do.

Shonisaurus

That's due to manufacturing defects, I know from experience.

For example, I bought the giantotosaurus from Eofauna in its day and it did not stay upright. Members of the Eofauna brand contacted me to apply massage to the figure and they told me in DTF that I applied cold / hot water and only stayed a few seconds of foot correctly. I recently bought a new giantotosaurus figure from Eofauna from urzeitshop's Miron and I commented on the problem and told him to find me a giganotosaurus figure that would stand up correctly and he did so and thankfully he stands upright without any problem.

Another problem I had with Recur's feathered tyrannosaurus. I bought a first figure on Amazon and the figure had paint abrasions and it didn't stand up well either, in fact it had a detached leg. I bought a new feathered tyrannosaurus from Recur on eBay, received it and it stands upright.

That I think is due to problems that the figure suffers during the transport period and that the boxes on the planes are inevitably subjected to blows and even to customs handling problems that inadvertently hit these figures (it is a personal opinion) or simply that they have a manufacturing defect.

I bought the australovenator "Banjo" from urzeitshop more than four years ago and I can affirm that it continues to stand upright without any problem. My advice is to buy another similar figure and let the retail seller know it beforehand, for example urzeitshop and everythingdinosaur or Brett are very solicitous and deferential retailers with the buyer (just to give a few examples) and see if the figure is standing correctly. It is the only solution I find. In other cases it is better to leave it with its plastic packaging base as it happens with PNSO's yangchuanosaurus because I believe that almost all those figures are manufactured in the same way and having a movable base has the advantage that you do not need to straighten it.

Cretaceous Crab

With troublesome figures, I have had to resort to just gluing them to a flat piece of rock, or other base.

Gwangi

The Safari Anzu has been a particular PITA for me.

ceratopsian

Now you mention it, for me too!

Quote from: Gwangi on April 28, 2020, 12:49:30 PM
The Safari Anzu has been a particular PITA for me.

postsaurischian

Almost every toy theropod without a base goes down to its knees when the summer heat is on in the South-West of Germany :P .
In some cases I'm using small chips (or what would you call them?), available at board game or fantasy shops.
They come in different sizes and colours. I'm using black or white, depending on where the figure is displayed.
Placing a chip under a toe - depending on the direction in which the figure tends to fall - helps in 90% of all cases.

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian. That is a good unobtrusive solution.

For models that are not too heavy and not too warped, I put a little bit of blutack under the feet.

Halichoeres

Yeah, perennial biped problem. Even figures that initially stand well will eventually start to tip. A real biped is constantly adjusting muscles and tendons to remain upright, and of course a dinosaur had nonuniform weight distribution because of pneumatic bones. I've done as postsaurischian has (with pennies or other small disks) or just arranged my bipeds to lean slightly on another animal. The hairdryer approach works sometimes, but I've never had it work permanently.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Ah yes, that's why I prefer base on my biped.
All of my Carnegie bipeds have suffered leg/foot warping , with the Spino, carno being the worst and they are all Tripod posed!
Even the new feathered Rex is starting to Ben on the foot.

90% of my non-based bipeds are now in storage box since I can't stand unstable figures.
I found that once a figure warps, any treatment using hot water is only temporary.

Primeval12

ceratopsian

I am with B @Bokisaurus on the bipeds and bases front. When my Safari feathered T. rex arrived it was too badly warped to stand. It went back but the replacement isn't safe to leave without support in the cabinet. For that matter, both feet on my new Safari Deinonychus are badly warped, despite the plastic support to protect it in transit. It won't stand at all without sitting on a base (borrowed from something else) but with the tail tip off the base.

Ikessauro

I have that issue with most of my Favorite figures. I suppose the kind of plastic they use, combined with their thin legs does that. Some of my recent Favorites had to be glued to their bases in order to stand, like Baryonyx, Velociraptor, Neovenator. Even then some lean a bit forward. Kind of annoying how easily these Favorite models warp.

Jose S.M.

My favorite neovenator has not given me any problems about falling or leaning, it even stays on its own without the base in flat surfaces. But the Bary leans forward until losing balance on the base, I haven't glued it, what I did was using a small piece of Sculpey and placed below one of its fingers on the legs that is in front position, that way it stays in normal position and it hasn't warped more yet. I placed Bary on the back row on my shelf so the front figures hide this "solution".

Shonisaurus

My opinion is to put those theropod dinosaurs that suffer from stability problems next to more robust figures such as sauropods, ceraptósidos that help keep them standing. I always keep the packaging material that keeps theropods standing so that when necessary (stability problems) I use it as a support point.

On the other hand, figures that have stability problems or that see that their material is quite delicate, for example rigid or hard plastic, I always put them at the bottom of my shelves leaning against the wall.

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 28, 2020, 03:43:54 PM
Ah yes, that's why I prefer base on my biped.
All of my Carnegie bipeds have suffered leg/foot warping , with the Spino, carno being the worst and they are all Tripod posed!
Even the new feathered Rex is starting to Ben on the foot.

90% of my non-based bipeds are now in storage box since I can't stand unstable figures.
I found that once a figure warps, any treatment using hot water is only temporary.
I sympathize. My most annoying extreme was the Battat v.2 wth the "snowshoes" that don't even begin to work. No problem - tried hot water/ fridge treatment: only temporary. Well, it's time to play hard ball. I drilled out the offending leg, glued in a metal rod. Presto, or NOT .. the internal rod has started to bend!!!   >:( Oh well, the curse of the theropods.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.