News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Crystal Palace Megalosaurus damaged

Started by therizinosaurus, May 24, 2020, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 28, 2020, 04:28:34 PM
Quote from: brontosauruschuck on May 28, 2020, 01:39:38 AM
I'm really curious as to why people would do this. Really. Is it just that some men want to watch the world burn or is there a good reason to destroy something like this in the mind of the vandal?

You are asking if there is any reason for this special object being destroyed?  If there's any connection between the vandals and the objects?  If the anger  is directed against something specifical the object might represent?

Creationists are ignorant and empty headed,  but they are not violent.  Can't imagine any other group.  If it was vandalism it was a random act I think.
I believe you are getting confused with Sid the SLoth( "Sid's not violent, or coordinated. "- Diego, Ice age 3). I heard about this creatonist group who broke into places with fossils and break them because it was "satan's work"
I am a strong believer of God and i love learning about religions. I agree with their way of religion, but not their way of forcing old outdated facts. The real Jesus will go on for ages and would love to educate those about the outdated facts, such as flat earth, 6000 year old earth, creationsim, and more.

Btw im not christian, but i am tolerant for any religion and i believe its okay for people to believe in relgion, but not force it on others

brontosauruschuck

Maybe it's because of my own background, but when I try to imagine why someone would do this, I think about iconoclasm. In my undergrad days I got really into the existentialists (What philosophy major doesn't?) and with a lot of them there was this emphasis on destroying the old way of life. I don't think most of them would be into iconoclasm in the literal sense, but I could see myself being a dumb kid and reading Nietzsche and thinking 'Gee, I should go break an old statue.'

ceratopsian

Quote from: Crackington on May 28, 2020, 04:57:24 PM
Probably true, vandalism is usually bored kids who are not thinking at all about what they are doing. Could just have easily been someone's greenhouse or an allotment patch which happens every day somewhere, sadly.

Not sure if their site is obvious, but the Friends of Crystal Palace Dinosaurs group are doing their best to help conserve the beasts and educate the public about them. This is probably their best protection long term. Here's the page where you can donate if you want to help them:

https://cpdinosaurs.org/donate/

The Friends are also looking for a volunteer with fundraising or funding applications experience to help them in their endeavours.

Shonisaurus

What I see is that the people (in the case that they have been people) who have broken those statues have a lot of evil and little culture. That could be done by the barbarians of the time of the end of the Roman Empire ... but with a cultural baggage like the one we Europeans now have, that is not vandalism, it is evil.

If they were people ideologized by a political doctrine or a philosophical doctrine, I would continue to call them bad people apart from the fact that stones are thrown on their own roof destroying the heritage of humanity in this house, the Crytal Palace and an emblematic figure like the megalosaurus. What I see is evil and if it is linked to political, philosophical or religious doctrines (whatever they may be) it is from my honest point of view fanaticism.

Now that I think about it they could be creationists who hate the theory of evolution and life before the appearance of the human race, that hypothesis can fit. My apologies to any forum member who has offended.

Avian

You are forcing stereotypes here, similar to people saying that all who practice Islam must be terrorists. 99.9% of creationists are peaceful and condemn acts such as these, as well as the misguided motivation behind it because these radical groups believe differently than most creationists. I do not want to start an argument, I am trying to prevent any argument from happening. This forum is not a place to have arguments such as these as they can be taken as hateful by both sides if gotten out of hand. I saw what happened on another topic that started like this one, and it got very out of hand. Please try to be considerate of all in your discussions if they continue, the forum should not be a hateful or aggressive place.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Shonisaurus

First and foremost, I apologize to the creationists. I have nothing against anyone who professes another religion or political belief, I am apolitical, rather I do not understand anything about politics and despite my 48 years, unfortunately, I do not understand anything about politics, that has been one of the reasons why I entered into this forum because it was apolitical. I did not mean to be rude, I apologize. I know that creationists are peaceful people and I deserve absolute respect whether they are inside or outside the forum, so I rectify my statement, I did not intend to offend anyone, I just wanted to say that there are people who are motivated by political ideology or religious beliefs that are ( it can be any political or philosophical belief) it can be carried out by their fanaticism the attack on the megalodon monument is an affirmation they can even be people who without political motives and led by their vandalism (most surely) have attacked the emblematic monument of Crystal Palace , carried away by their inexperience or by crooked inclinations when it comes to doing wrong.

Whoever he has done is a vandalism, whether in the UK or in another nation in the world that has a negative impact on the heritage of humanity, which is a derivative of the evil of the human being.

Tacho as a sign of good faith and apologizing to creationists and anyone who has offended.

Whoever he has done is a vandalism, whether in the UK or in another nation in the world that has a negative impact on the heritage of humanity, which is a derivative of the evil of the human being.

Tacho as a sign of good faith and apologizing to creationists and anyone who has offended.

Crackington

Of course it may not have been anyone at all, there were very high winds in Southern England last week.

It's difficult to see who would want to smash them up for political or religous reasons if it was vandlism - more probably just daft kids or drunks (though pubs not open here now).

One thought occurred to me, if they were creationists then they don't understand their own history. Richard Owen, the prime mover behind the models for the Great Exhibition,  would have agreed with them more than the evolutionsts!

CityRaptor

Wouldn't surprise me. I've seen people claiming that Owen made up Dinosaurs to support Darwin...but then again, I've also seen people using that he named them "terrible lizards" as an argument against feathers, so yeah...people are that dumb.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

I suppose that they would be badass without evil, unaware of the beauty of having these sculptures or even, as it is claimed, may be the reason of Mother Nature.

DinoToyForum

From the Friends of Crystal Palace Dinosaurs Facebook page. In case there was any doubt the damage to the dinosaurs is caused, at least partly, by trespassers.

Faelrin

That frustrates me so much. Why do people have to be so selfish and think they are entitled to do stuff like this?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Libraraptor

One should write 'Idiot" on those red buttons and have them clean up the park daily over one year.

Crackington

Agree with that Libraraptor. They also need some education about the site and the dinos, then maybe something good could come from this......

CityRaptor

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 30, 2020, 02:15:05 PM
One should write 'Idiot" on those red buttons

Or they could just leave out the red buttons. Blending out the faces seems rather counter-productive to me.

Cleaning the park for a year also seems a bit easy. They at least should also pay for repairs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

In this case it has only been because of some children, sincerely they are not to blame in any case it would be the adults who are in charge of the children.

What was said in my last post of this thread have been people who have done this destruction without malice and not thinking that they were going to cause irreparable damage. They are not to blame, it will be the parents of the children who are in charge of them. If they pay a fine, the issue will be resolved.

Viergacht

You might be aware of the recent efforts to protect the famous Crystal Palace sculptures of dinosaurs and other prehistoric beasts created in the 1850's by Waterhouse Hawkins - the Megalosaurus was damaged a few weeks ago, the snout badly smashed by a vandal.

Over on twitter I posted suggesting the production of models based on them that could be sold to help pay for repairs and upkeep. I don't know much about producing 3D art, though, and since I know several people here have experience in scanning their own sculpts, if you could toss any advie my way to pass on I would greatly appreciate it!

Martwad

Did they determine it to be vandalism?  I haven't kept up on the information regarding it, but last I saw it was more likely due to neglect.

This picture shows that the crack was already forming, and pretty substantially at that.

Regardless, I do think the park is something that needs to be repaired and maintained.

stargatedalek

Didn't it turn out to not be a vandal but accidental damage caused by people climbing on it without understanding the risks, potentially coupled with or later compounded by strong winds? Or were those different people?

ImADinosaurRARR

I'm a digital artist, and what your asking is pretty broad. If your asking for advice on how to practice, then the best thing I can say is "fail faster". Instead of starting with high expectations, aim to speed run sculptures with loads of tutorials and life studies, putting your effort into lots of little projects instead of larger ones that take a lot of energy. Once in a while, make a larger project to assess your progress, but the more you make, the better you'll become. Also try to keep a constant scheduled. Always try to aim for half and hour or an hour of practice a day. Time your-self if you have to. Incorporate it into your scheduled.

Crackington

Must admit I don't understand the previous post, but just wondering if this should be merged with the other recent thread about the Crystal Palace dinosaurs. Is that possible Adam avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum ?

I think it's a really good idea though for the Friends group to sell figures of the dinosaurs as merchandise. They would probably need some help though, as I understand that they are a rather small voluntary group with little resources.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: