News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

'Ammonite' trailer

Started by Ravonium, August 26, 2020, 06:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDhlrs3XVM

Was wondering what everyone here thought of this.

PumperKrickel

Two fantastic actresses! Film will be worth a watch for that reason alone.

Loon

Looks pretty interesting. As far as I can tell this isn't really a true retelling of Anning's life, which I'd have liked too. But, I'll check it out.

Dinoxels

I hope this somehow introduces people to paleontology.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Totoro

Quote from: Dinoxels on August 26, 2020, 08:56:35 PM
I hope this somehow introduces people to paleontology.

Prospective audience member: "Two attractive women in steamy scenes?  Not interested.  Wait, there's fossils?  I'm there!"
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

ceratopsian

I'm dubious. Too fictional. Too different from Anning's actual life. I would rather read a good biography.

Dean Nonychus

I don't know how accurate it's going to be but as someone who's been to Lyme Regis most holidays since I was born, I am very excited about getting to go there without having to actually, y'know, leave the house. Plus yeah, Ronan and Winslet are both fantastic.
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

BlueKrono

I'm very excited! Mary Anning is one of my heroes.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

There was quite a bit about it in the press a few months ago. The opinions put forward suggested extremely inaccurate. Not much palaeontology. Complete focus on love story.

Quote from: Dean Nonychus on August 27, 2020, 11:44:03 AM
I don't know how accurate it's going to be but as someone who's been to Lyme Regis most holidays since I was born, I am very excited about getting to go there without having to actually, y'know, leave the house. Plus yeah, Ronan and Winslet are both fantastic.

Crackington

I'd recommend "Jurassic Mary" by Patricia Pierce for a good account of Mary Anning's life.

As I recall, there was some speculation that she might have had romances with Henry de la Beche, William Buckland and other early palaeontologists/geologists. However, there was no real evidence for this, so the film appears to be offering a leftfield and original angle in portraying Mary as gay.

The main thing that grates from the trailer is Kate Winslet's accent, which sounds more like Kent than the West Country!

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing it and hope it helps stimulate interest in paleontology and gives a boost to the campaign for her statue,  https://www.maryanningrocks.co.uk

Halichoeres

It's kind of a pity that everything has to have a romantic plot/subplot, but at this point I am ecstatic about any paleo-related media not related to the grotesquerie that the JP franchise has become. I plan to see it, bearing in mind that a fair amount is fictitious.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sarapaurolophus

It surely tickles me when people complain that a lesbian lovestory is not accurate to a historical person's life. Plenty of bi- or homosexual people had movies made about them where they were portrayed as hetero, regardless of evidence. Something tells me this is gonna be one of those movies where "based on a true story" just means "these people really existed". Something like Cleopatra. No big deal to me and I'll probably watch it once it hits streaming.

Newt

I hope this comes to my local arthouse theater, which has set up a drive-through screen in its parking lot.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.