News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

S

How do I repaint RECUR toys?

Started by Stolpergeist, September 21, 2020, 10:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stolpergeist

I'm thinking of getting some of RECUR's better models such as the Basilosaurus or the Ouranosaurus to repaint them but I don't know if there is a risk of paint cracking and chipping off due to the soft material and in case this happens if there is a way to prevent this.
Also I want to know if Gosnell's large sauropods have a similar softness to them as they would also be interesting to customize.
The only repaints I have seen of RECUR figures are by avatar_Kathrins Dinoversum @Kathrins Dinoversum, avatar_Simon @Simon and a Korean collector on YouTube.
If anyone has wisdom to share I would greatly appreciate it.

PhilSauria

Can't offer any advice on the properties of paint on these figures but having examples of both I can tell you that they are indeed both made of a softer, rubbery material.

BlueKrono

Depends on how much wear they'd experience afterward. Acrylic is decently flexible. I would think you'd have the best results with an air spray paint gun, but I don't have that skill set.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

paintingdinos

I would advise against it. I tried repainting the Recur Spinosaurus a while back- primed it with my usual spray primer, under the normal heat/humidity conditions I always prime in, and the model was absolutely ruined.
It became impossibly sticky.

I kept the model for a few weeks thinking maybe I could salvage it, but the damage was down. I tried spaying on regular acrylic paint but no dice, still sticky.

The paint (both the primer and acrylic) did also show visible breaks in areas where the model was bent during handling, which was unattractive.

It may have been bad luck and a bad chemical reaction with my primer, but all in all a waste of time and money.

paintingdinos

Yes, I imagine most varnishes would still crack, though I personally did not try it.

I suppose you could use something like gesso, which will form more of a shell. Might be ok with very gentle handling (would still crack if distorted too much). But you'd really need to dunk it to get the gesso thick enough, and that just doesn't feel practicle for such large models.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.