News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roar

Well :-\ those dino Dana figures are a big dissapointment for me. How do they make it rhyme to re-use old figures that dont look even close to the dino Dana figures on screen.
Onwards to adventure!

CityRaptor

What do you mean? Totally the same Tyrannosaurus! ::)

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 16, 2020, 10:50:03 AM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 16, 2020, 10:31:59 AM
What exactly is the winner?
It was a Mermaid Toob.

Sounds rather fanservicey and boring at the same time.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 16, 2020, 04:54:38 PM

Well, they do both have big wrinkles along their flanks. :P
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

And stripes. Don't forget the stripes! ;D

Hmm, entering Tyrannosaurus as a search term at Safari's store, this one comes  up as coming soon:
https://store.safariltd.com/products/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-tyrannosaurus-rex-figurines-278929?_pos=18&_sid=e3c4bd0b2&_ss=r
Wasn't that specific color scheme retired in 2019?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Roar

Quote from: suspsy on November 16, 2020, 05:29:56 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 16, 2020, 04:54:38 PM

Well, they do both have big wrinkles along their flanks. :P
LOL yes and they are both dinosaurs and T-rex :P another day of waiting before the reveals.
Onwards to adventure!

Mattyonyx

Kapitaenosavrvs

I really do not know what all this extreme Teasing is all about. Their social Media team seems to act like if they are Tesla. I understand, that this is creating talk, but also creating higher expectations for a lot of people. But we'll see. They seem to be Proud of their new Figures, which is positive.

And yes, i thought it was the 17th before, too :D

suspsy

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on November 17, 2020, 12:40:38 PM
I really do not know what all this extreme Teasing is all about. Their social Media team seems to act like if they are Tesla. I understand, that this is creating talk, but also creating higher expectations for a lot of people. But we'll see. They seem to be Proud of their new Figures, which is positive.

Safari's marketing strategy this year really was poor. They first began the teases back in September; dragging it out for two months doesn't build up anticipation so much as it does irritation. Especially if the 2021 assortment really is as small as people have been led to believe.

I grant that this isn't a big deal in the end, but I'd prefer Safari not drag things out like this next year. And I really hope we're all pleasantly surprised tomorrow.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

That tie-in is rather lacklustre, I would have expected them to at least repaint any old figures they brought back.

Faelrin

I really hope they do not drag this out this long again in the future, especially for what seems like just a small batch of new stuff (and I get why there is a small amount). I hope they could just do it like how CollectA does it honestly, or how they did it for 2017, 2019, or this year/2020.

I am really curious about which Spinosaurus I'm going to favor more. Already leaning on the new PNSO one, despite the outdated pose, primarily for the coloration, and lack of croc scutes. I am also wondering how this one will scale up/size up in comparison to it. Granted it also still remains to be seen if CollectA is offering a new one or not.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2020, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on November 17, 2020, 12:40:38 PM

Safari's marketing strategy this year really was poor. They first began the teases back in September; dragging it out for two months doesn't build up anticipation so much as it does irritation. Especially if the 2021 assortment really is as small as people have been led to believe.

I grant that this isn't a big deal in the end, but I'd prefer Safari not drag things out like this next year. And I really hope we're all pleasantly surprised tomorrow.
I'd like to think that this year's pandemic definitely affected Safari's marketing. Maybe some delays occurred due to this? Maybe I am just spewing out some excuses for them....

Hopefully the wait will be worth it. I doubt Safari will not give us some great/fantastic figures. :))

Roar

I love Safari's Figures. But I do not like their who is this Pokemon game. It annoys me very very much. But Thank goodness its over tonorrow hip hip hooray.
Onwards to adventure!

Jose S.M.

My excitement for this Safari figures is gone but not in the sense of I don't want them or won't get them. It's just that I stopped  thinking about them some weeks ago and don't care when they are released. I'm pretty sure when I actually see them my excitement will come back possibly bigger than before.  I feel like that I don't know if it makes sense 😅

Ikessauro

I agree with this years relevations being too slow. That is way more annoying than exciting. If they at least gave us a figure per week, that'd been ok. But about two months  + to reveal 3 new dinosaurs (I know they have other animals and such) that are done and ready. No thanks. Not my kind of successful marketing.
Specially now that people 1 - are accustomed to things moving fast with internet  and 2 - the world being in lockdown or socially distancing with little to do at home. Then you get excited something new is coming, just to learn they will drag the reveal for two months! Lame.  :P

They should just take CollectA's example and reveal a small batch a week. Simple, effective and exciting. Keeps people talking about each batch for a week at least until the next one comes out. The hype builds as the reveals go on. Then after they are all revealed we still have things to discuss for a few weeks.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 17, 2020, 08:59:47 PM
My excitement for this Safari figures is gone but not in the sense of I don't want them or won't get them. It's just that I stopped  thinking about them some weeks ago and don't care when they are released. I'm pretty sure when I actually see them my excitement will come back possibly bigger than before.  I feel like that I don't know if it makes sense 😅

I'm kinda feeling the same, but not just about Safari.  There is so MUCH out there being released now the selection is insane. I have been picking and choosing already but the competition is incredibly stiff.  Not much excites me anymore, it's more "Huh, that's neat. "  I honestly can't think of one figure I would really request to be made as, eventually, these companies will get to everything. Probably three times over.

I guess it's why I don't see the rush to see new product constantly either. It will come sooner or later, and in a week it won't be new and we will be looking for whats next to impress us or discuss.

CarnotaurusKing

Baryonyx

Daspletosaurus

Spinosaurus

Pretty solid lineup, in my opinion.

TaranUlas

Baryonyx

Daspletosaurus

Spinosaurus

EDIT:

Personally I have somewhat mixed feelings about this bunch. On the one hand, they all look pretty good (I especially like the Baryonyx. Might just display it next to my Collecta Deluxe one. The Daspletosaurus looks good too and I will enjoy displaying that near my T.rex. The Spinosaurus.... I am tempted. I already have five or so of the animal already... what's one more Spino?) On the other hand, I am still a little disappointed in it being all theropods. I enjoy the variety that Safari usually brings to their releases so to just have it be three theropods and two of them being spinosaurids feels a little meh. On the bright side, they do have some good coloration as Safari usually does and I suspect the limited offerings this year are a combination of Covid and their recent move, not a set in stone amount for even the year after this (And who knows? Maybe there is more than just this. After all, I can't be the only one noticing that certain lines received no new figures at all...)

Also I want to do another scale like last time. So using the measurements we have on Safari's website (Knowing that the animals are likely in poses that make it unlikely that they match this scale exactly AKA Yes, I know the tail and neck bends. I just can't really break out the tape measurer here since it's all virtual), We reach the following scales:

Spinosaurus: 1:63-67 Putting this figure (if it was up to scale with the actual animal in this exact pose) at 48.56 feet Length x 10.5 feet wide x 16.43 feet high at the smaller end and 51.65 ft X 11.17 ft X 17.48 ft at the higher end.

Baryonyx: 1:32-42 Putting this figure at 24.67 ft X 6 ft X 9.68 ft at the smaller end and 32.38 ft X 7.88 ft X 12.71 ft at the higher end

Daspletosaurus: 1:35-41 Putting this figure at 25.29 ft X 5.25 ft X 12.83 ft at the smaller end and 29.62 ft X 6.15 ft X 15.03 ft at the higher end.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: